Bonsai and Beer in Portland OR

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
2F0EDA43-BF8E-45A1-8B8E-133C9EE37287.jpeg
For any nuts in the Portland area the weekend of June 15th and 16th, I’ve put together an event for PDX Beer Week that will feature a tap list of beers that utilize trees in their brewing process along side bonsai displays of the species used to create these tasty libations. There will be some fantastic trees from members of the northwest bonsai community on display. This will be the first of a series of events I’m putting together to get bonsai in front of new audiences. Please come on down to show support and help spread the word. It would be great to put faces to names!

Facebook event link here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1133069526900397/?ti=icl

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Love it! Fwiw, my wife thinks I should, for my next career, open an all in one brewery and bonsai shop/nursery... I am seriously thinking about it!
Sign me up as your first regular!

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm going to be in the Hillsboro, OR area 4th of July weekend. Are there any cool shops/exhibits/etc. worth checking out?

Sorry I won't be in town for this event!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the Hillsboro, OR area 4th of July weekend. Are there any cool shops/exhibits/etc. worth checking out?

Sorry I won't be in town for this event!
Lots of stuff worth seeing/doing/eating/drinking : ) As far as bonsai related stuff goes, you can check out Michael Hagedorn's Crataegus Bonsai, there is Bonsai Mirai, and the Portland Bonsai Village run by Andrew Robson. The Portland Japanese Garden has a great bonsai display that's curated by Michael Hagedorn. If you want to shop for material Randy Knight is nearby, and there are a number of nurseries that have decent bonsai sections. If you're looking for non-bonsai related stuff shoot me a message with what you have in mind and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lots of stuff worth seeing/doing/eating/drinking : ) As far as bonsai related stuff goes, you can check out Michael Hagedorn's Crataegus Bonsai, there is Bonsai Mirai, and the Portland Bonsai Village run by Andrew Robson. The Portland Japanese Garden has a great bonsai display that's curated by Michael Hagedorn. If you want to shop for material Randy Knight is nearby, and there are a number of nurseries that have decent bonsai sections. If you're looking for non-bonsai related stuff shoot me a message with what you have in mind and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Wow! That's a lot to choose from, that's a good problem to have :) I appreciate it, Josh!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Huh huh...

Never ever seen a bonsai exhibition associated wth beer :oops:

You know, in most countries, this would be liable to judicial prosecution, or whatever, English is not my usual langage but I think you know what I mean.

But I think it's a world wide appeal. I don't have any beer left, but I'll taste the rhum + larch cones I put in a jar a few weeks ago :)

PS : tastes good !

PPS : tastes even better with cane sugar !!!

PPPS : I'll roll myself a cigarette, and, wph hooo, see what it feels like.... :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Never crossed the Atlantic, I have a cliché-ed vision of the USA, and of a stae like Oregon, which is probably as different from Louisiana that Portugal is different from sweden, except that people there speak the same language.

I talked with people from Louisiana two days ago, I used my English, and they used their French. One of them could speak like a native. Unfortunately, we didn't have much time to exchange. Just spoke about the weather, I mentioned Cliffton Chénier I saw on stage in... 1973/74 ? and Cajun language and music (zydeco).

The one whose grandparents spoke Cajun didn't speak French.

As if haéving an accent was a handicap. Heel, no, itz what yiu haar.

OoOpss, must be the beer syndrom.

Sorry, "Travailler, c'est trop dur", basically I'm a lazy person that can work hard.

Last edited:

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can’t be there, but I put it on the BSOP instagram for you ?

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
View attachment 246058
For any nuts in the Portland area the weekend of June 15th and 16th, I’ve put together an event for PDX Beer Week that will feature a tap list of beers that utilize trees in their brewing process along side bonsai displays of the species used to create these tasty libations. There will be some fantastic trees from members of the northwest bonsai community on display. This will be the first of a series of events I’m putting together to get bonsai in front of new audiences. Please come on down to show support and help spread the word. It would be great to put faces to names!

Facebook event link here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1133069526900397/?ti=icl
Man, really wish I could participate!!!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
The first of the trees to be displayed in this show have come under my care for the week leading up. These are owned by Bob Laws, who has been a staple in the Portland OR/Vancouver WA bonsai community for a very long time. Some of you may be familiar with Bob’s Gravenstein Apple tree which I believe has been shown at the national exhibition. He was going to loan me the apple for this show but Michael Hagedorn wanted to display it at the Portland Japanese garden, so that fabulous tree will not be on display here this time around, but hopefully in a future event. He was kind enough to loan this gorgeous juniper which was a demo tree originally worked by John Naka at an exhibition in the 70s. Bob has done over 150 grafts to change the foliage on this tree, and Bob also still has the drawing John did of what he hoped the tree would become in time. It is in a beautiful antique Chinese pot.B91545D8-6D91-4206-9751-7CD9CCDF7A72.jpeg
Next is a beautiful JBP that Bob was kind enough to offer for the show. While I’m sure it has a lovely story as well, it is not known to me. The bark and ramification day a lot all on their own. I can’t thank Bob enough for allowing me to show these beautiful trees and he is helping to set a very high bar for this event. I will surely share more pics next after the show this weekend. There will be some awesome trees on display!20C232D0-ED2C-4F92-B7FA-DA562D65C4CF.jpeg

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
This show went off without a hitch. I’m really pleased with the quality of trees we brought together, and having them displayed in a unique environment led to some cool displays and pictures.The beer selection was awesome as well with some brews I likely would not have come across otherwise. The interest of the general public was amazing, with some folks hanging out for hours to ask questions and learn about what we do. I’m super excited to see what we can do with future shows and bring bonsai in front of more people.7A1902C9-EEAB-45DC-A277-63776D455092.jpeg79AE7142-F8C0-4730-8F0F-80133182E00A.jpeg9D56407A-D689-4500-BE33-5DD3E48A615E.jpegF9082FC0-E85D-452B-B9B3-042FCC5553AE.jpeg77BD6B27-975A-4C94-8DE5-4A5B4A363673.jpegED1C4FC6-4C94-4866-80B2-99677FD80A12.jpegA16BC603-1CA1-4024-8447-32449A98D10E.jpegB2F7392A-9108-4B39-88B8-BEC312D231A6.jpeg848A1640-7D87-41C5-9859-85CD22066F4A.jpegE93D11E4-7DCC-4043-BA52-E2DB232240FC.jpeg

Top Bottom