Bonsai and color

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looking for plant selection that has foliage that is either not green, or changes color. As a second category, would be those trees that have colorful flowers . Everything in my collection is so green, so I thought some ideas on how to add color to my bonsai bench would be helpful.
I have a Japanese Maple, although in zone 10a it’s not a great match, and is struggling. Thinking about a burning bush and a flowering Quince. Great to hear and see where you have color (besides green) in your bonsai.

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Loropetalum - red or purple leaves
Fukien tea - little white flowers
Amur maple - constant new red growth
Bouganvillia - red brachts around flowers

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen shimpaku junipers with a blue tinge.
With periodic doses of Epsom salts hiroki cypress and tamaracks also get a blue color.
Then there are blue spruce and white spruce.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Dwarf Barbados Cherry, pink flowers.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You are in zone 10a, many sub-tropical species to choose from. Florist's azaleas (not freeze hardy), Satsuki azalea, bougainvillea, pomegranate, duranta (not frost hardy) fuchsia, camelia, serissa, gardenia, Cordia, Osmanthus heterophylla (smaller leaves than O. fragrans), Jasmine, and many more possible flowering trees.

Cedrus atlantica - atlas cedar, nice blue foliage, more heat tolerant than spruce or larch.

You mention zone 10a, are you in desert Southwest, or humid southeast? Or elsewhere in the world. It would make a difference some of the above do better with humidity, some like pomegranate like the arid deserts.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Arabian lilac. Purple leaves white flowers.

Bonsai fool

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You are in zone 10a, many sub-tropical species to choose from. Florist's azaleas (not freeze hardy), Satsuki azalea, bougainvillea, pomegranate, duranta (not frost hardy) fuchsia, camelia, serissa, gardenia, Cordia, Osmanthus heterophylla (smaller leaves than O. fragrans), Jasmine, and many more possible flowering trees.

Cedrus atlantica - atlas cedar, nice blue foliage, more heat tolerant than spruce or larch.

You mention zone 10a, are you in desert Southwest, or humid southeast? Or elsewhere in the world. It would make a difference some of the above do better with humidity, some like pomegranate like the arid deserts.
I’m in San Diego, humidity can be very low at times.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
So for San Diego area, Starfox's suggestion of Callistemnon is ideal (red or pink powder puffs), Pomegranate, Bougainvillea, many of the Australian natives including acacia. Acacia have yellow or white powder puffs style flowers. Most Eucalyptus, except E. deglupta (rainbow eucalyptus) which is from Philippines and needs humidity.

From South Africa, Grewia has blue-purple flowers & edible berries. Natal plum with white flowers and edible berries.

Check your local native trees and shrubs, your local chapter of native plants society will have suggestions for blooming tree's and shrubs. There's a native to Mexico plum species that will do well.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here in Central Valley,
I really like Autumn color of Chinese pistache

I always wonder where can I buy small Pistache to test it out.

Top Bottom