Bonsai and Florida

Cryptocat

Seedling
Reaction score
So I live in Central Florida. What are the best trees grow here? I prefer not to kill trees so honestly what trees should I avoid?

Post favorite books so I can get reading.

I now have the following:
bald cypress
italian cypress
olive
juniper
jade
weeping willow - in process.....
giant sequoia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don’t forget ficus... you may have to bring them in for a week or so around the holidays, but if I can do them in DC, you could in FL.

also crape myrtle, juniper, JBP, podicarpus (sp?), I would try a live oak from seed, but don’t bother trying to collect in the sand. Winged elm, crack in a parking lot elm. Virginia creeper, and most importantly, Go Gators!

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus would be my number one choice if I lived in Florida. Probably Acacia as well. Tons of native plants there like Buttonwood that those further north drool over.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great choices. Don't know why I overlooked them.

Premna is small! Lol!

If it wasn't for recent posts of them by amcoffeegirl, I would have forgotten too.

That said....it's always good to reexplore Robert Stevens Amazing Premna Art.

Sorce

nagatay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I live in Central Florida. What are the best trees grow here? I prefer not to kill trees so honestly what trees should I avoid?

Post favorite books so I can get reading.

I now have the following:
bald cypress
italian cypress
olive
juniper
jade
weeping willow - in process.....
giant sequoia
D&L bonsai nurse y is in central Florida. They also have a website with info and care sheets for central Florida.

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
Im Suncoast Central Fl., 9b. Bougainvillea are monsters here. Also, Desert Rose. 95 degrees? Humidty, Amazon Jungle rains? Bring it. Just have to pay attention to daily summer 4pm rain and wind reports from the West coast. My Japanese Boxwood seems to like it as well. I have a Juniper that has serious potential but...we will see. I killed 2 Loropetalums and gave up on them. F Tea? Still kicking but we have a love hate relationship.

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
D & L is like 3 hours away from me, never been there. Thanks for the heads up though, dont recall hearing of them before.

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Look at trees that thrive in your environment, florida has great weather that allows for growing for lots of cool trees. a great way to find interesting trees is to go to some of your amazing state parks and look for trees that you like, especially natives, identify them, then buy one from a nursery or collect one if possible (but obviously do not collect from state parks or protected areas, and do not collect endangered or threatened species ).
A few that jump to mind:
ficus
live oak
pomegranate ( they grow well in northern florida)
trident maple
wisteria
blad cypress
crape myrtle
water oak
loblolly pine!
azaleas
rhododendrons
camelias
muscadine grape

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
I know right? Heard they were indestructible. First one cut back too hard and prayed for forgiveness. 2nd one I just let it do its thing, grow wild. Beautiful flowers, leaf color but lasted 3 months. I went back to where I bought it and they were healthier than mine. Considering someone getting paid $10 an hour was keeping them alive somehow, I just got so pissed off I said 2 is enough. How they can grow in a McDonald's parking lot but die at my house is a mystery best left unknown. Even those are almost a guaranteed success, it just didnt happen. We gotta go with what survives in our particular situation I guess.

Danteswake

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b-
Just a heads ups to newbies, I joined the Arbor Day Foundation and for a $15 donation they are sending me my choice of saplings. I chose BC because Hendo got me interested. So im gonna start a project, my BC flat with 11 saplings. I want a miniature forest. Anything is possible, try and / or fail, you'll get it eventually.

Top Bottom