Bonsai area ground covering.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The grass around my bonsai area is trashed from building the pool and I decided to put down weed fabric and wanted to get ideas on what has worked well for ground cover. Rock, pebbles, shell??? I just dont know what works well. I dont want to re sod. Pain to mow under the stands.

Any info on what has worked good for you would be much apriciated.
Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
White color would be good for reflecting some light back up and not getting too hot.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking in general as a homeowner I would advise against any kind of small rocks in your landscaping. They always escape, get out into your own yard/lawn, neighbors, etc. and are just a pain in general. If I had to, I would look at a weed barrier cloth and or full size pavers.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The grass around my bonsai area is trashed from building the pool and I decided to put down weed fabric and wanted to get ideas on what has worked well for ground cover. Rock, pebbles, shell??? I just dont know what works well. I dont want to re sod. Pain to mow under the stands.

Thanks.
Our local recycling center gives away gallons of tumbled glass. It's a little gaudy, but it works. Check in your area.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Thanks.

I like decomposed granite (dg) a lot. A similar product is shale or slate chips. They come in different colors. We use it on walkways and paths. I also have a couple of different sizes of river rock/river pebbles that do a good job. For any of these you do have to have a border that contains them.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm using crushed red brick as seen in my avatar. So far I'm loving it. Time will tell.

toscgwsndiqz

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Gravel and such create too much noise. A mulch would better. I use the fabric as a carpet. lasts about 10 years.........

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the rock under all my bonsai stands. Over time they fill with leaves and detritus and they were once white but bc of all the constant watering and shade from the stands they algae up and then weeds grow and its impossible to clean out or blow out. I don't really know of a good under cover. I actually prefer the stands out in the lawn since I can just string trim around em in no time. Just toss some diff grass mixes around the areas that are beat up and go from there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. I will need 400 square feet of covering.
Marble chips is what I have found so far.
View attachment 184833

I would NOT use marble chips, or even other stone, especially if I was in Dallas. Stone will act like a big heat sink and keep temperatures on the higher side. Stone also doesn't retain moisture, so basically the bonsai stands and the trees on top of them will be in a kind of oven like atmosphere. Crushed stone is also not all that cost efficient and is a pain in the ass to move and spread. It also collects, as noted, crap like leaves and dirt that can be difficult to remove. White stone is also pretty ugly. If I used stone it would be grey, brown or some color that isn't so stark and blinding in the sun.

I would go with simple shredded hardwood mulch. It isn't as reflective as stone, retains moisture and humidity and keeps things cooler. It's also cheaper, easier to use and helps keep underplantings near benches. Underplantings such as liriope, mondo gras, creeping thyme, sedums, etc. can add a lot of interest to that covering AND they keep grass and weeds down...

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I absolutely hate the rock under all my bonsai stands. Over time they fill with leaves and detritus and they were once white but bc of all the constant watering and shade from the stands they algae up and then weeds grow and its impossible to clean out or blow out. I don't really know of a good under cover. I actually prefer the stands out in the lawn since I can just string trim around em in no time. Just toss some diff grass mixes around the areas that are beat up and go from there.
Great info. Thanks. I was wondering if it wasn't such a good idea. I'm thinking I will just put a stone paver path in and work the grass back into shape.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have the same dilemma. I'm moving to a new house and need to start my bonsai garden again from scratch. In Louisiana, anything but 8" high ground cover or solid concrete will sprout weeds in it's second summer. Here, I've settled on one row of irregular paving stones under each bench and regular old turf grass every where else. I run a mower through the garden and have to pull weeds between the stones a few times a summer. I'll probably do the same at the new location. Any kind of loose rock does NOT work well here. Once the weeds get up through it, there's no cure but ripping it all out.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have used rock, pea gravel size and like the drainage aspect and it is easy to rake. ( ie: maintain) I have a lot of nearby forest debris, leaves, cones,needles etc.
Disadvantage is the small size when using wheeled carts, wagon etc. To transport larger trees, etc. So in the expansion area i tried larger bark Mulch over top of landscape fabric. Worked well and looked good for four or five years then started to decompose badly and needed replacing.
I would consider 3/4 inch minus aggregate for the benefits of rock with the compaction needed for firm walking and rolling of carts, wagons etc. The landscape fabric underneath is important as well as a decent layer of depth. I would advise 2-3 inch depth as it compacts. Keep in mind that i was looking for something that drains reasonably well and does not get muddy. We have a wetter climate and drainage is important when you use the area every day.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    621.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    501.2 KB · Views: 38

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have used rock, pea gravel size and like the drainage aspect and it is easy to rake. ( ie: maintain) I have a lot of nearby forest debris, leaves, cones,needles etc.
Disadvantage is the small size when using wheeled carts, wagon etc. To transport larger trees, etc. So in the expansion area i tried larger bark Mulch over top of landscape fabric. Worked well and looked good for four or five years then started to decompose badly and needed replacing.
I would consider 3/4 inch minus aggregate for the benefits of rock with the compaction needed for firm walking and rolling of carts, wagons etc. The landscape fabric underneath is important as well as a decent layer of depth. I would advise 2-3 inch depth as it compacts. Keep in mind that i was looking for something that drains reasonably well and does not get muddy. We have a wetter climate and drainage is important when you use the area every day.
You have a nice set up. Well done.

Top Bottom