bonsai artificial light

mergal

Seed
Reaction score
iv bought a 600w full spectrum led grow light for my bonsai trees, has anyone had any experiance growing under lights?

mergal

Seed
Reaction score
Sure, I'm doing it right now. Do you have a more specific question?
thanks for reply, yes i have many
have you got a pictures? this is my temporary setup.
what type of trees have you got?
what lights?
why have you got them under artificial light?
any threads?
cheers

Attachments

• 5E8CD182-F472-4D26-938A-8FF5BEBE8DCE.jpeg
    5E8CD182-F472-4D26-938A-8FF5BEBE8DCE.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 34

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I only have a few tropicals in a tent under lights. Everything else (mostly temperate deciduous trees) are all outside in the cold. I have a bunch of Vachelia Caven, portulacaria, umbrella tree and whatever my son stuck in there. I keep them under lights for the simple reason that they won't really grow otherwise and will die outside.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a LOT of plants under lights because I also grow cacti, succulents, and other tender plants.
I do it because I'm a hopeless collector that can't specialize to save my life or my wallet. I'm planning to scale back next year since the electricity costs keep going up, the bug problems after moving plants in from outdoors are hard to manage, and I'm getting a better sense of what works well indoors and not (examples: citrus plants just stop growing at a surprisingly high minimum temperature).
Some plants that have been doing well under the lights and that have bonsai potential include: Ficus (multiple varieties), Eugenia/Syzygium (Australian brush cherry), Duranta, Solanum (Jerusalem cherry), and Clerodendrum aculeatum (Escambron).
The lights I have are a mix of Durolux, Viparspectra, Barrina, and Mars Hydro. The Durolux 4ft LED lights would be nearly perfect except that several of mine have quit on me within only a few years of use.
Here's a picture from last October. There's a lot more stuff off-camera but you can kind of see how I arrange most of the plants on tables/trays with drains so I can water without moving them. Saves a ton of time.

Attachments

• IMG_20221003_123136114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221003_123136114_HDR.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 30

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Tums I didn't know that about citrus! What temperature do they have to be kept at? I've been keeping my grapefruit in my "cold" room 😓

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is the reference I've been going by http://www.steffenreichel.homepage.t-online.de/Citrus/lime2.pdf but I have to say that until we switched back to gas heat and the basement temperature went above ~20C/70f, my citrus hadn't done much. That isn't to say that I know cold storage is bad for health but just don't expect them to grow much if at all.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Tums I didn't know that about citrus! What temperature do they have to be kept at? I've been keeping my grapefruit in my "cold" room 😓
I keep my little orange trees inside, it usually blooms in the winter. Not bonsai, just a patio plant.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a few shop lights rigged up. The tropicals are all pushing growth in February. Ficus, fukien tea, lime tree, figs, umbrella trees... pretty regular variety.

Top Bottom