Bonsai as a crop/industry

Reaction score
To play Devil's Advocate here, I'm not sure increasing the demand for high price finished products is necessarily a good thing. Personally, I very much enjoy the look of some of those top dollar bonsai masterpieces. I can't afford them, but I like to look at them, admire them for what they are, and hope to be able to create something SOMEWHAT similar at some point in my life.

But Bonsai is more about the love of gardening, and manipulating your surroundings in order to create wonderful works of art. It isn't about "cashing out." Sure the masterpiece has a ton of time and energy put into it, and sure the master should be compensated for his time and effort, in appreciation of the work he has done. But attempting to increase the demand in the market just to offset the costs the master instills isn't exactly the point.

In that type of scenereo, you get individuals who don't know how to grow bonsai, but want to own them. Those that don't know how to own them are less inclined to know how to take care of them (generally speaking), which in turn means they are more likely to die. This in a sense is an inefficient market that you are advocating. Instead, why not promote the love of the art? For those who are able to spend $10,000 because they love the art, in addition to their knowledge, great. For those who can spend $10 because of their financial condition, in addition to their desire to learn, great. Both options are good in my view.

But perhaps my view is somewhat skewed.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Growing bonsai for a hobby can be frustrating, growing bonsai for a living can be fatal, as in starving to death.

Harry

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Watching the video coming out of Japan over the last few days, I can't help but wonder if any commercial bonsai growers were caught up in the devastation...Sendai is an apparently heavily agricultural area...

One of the videos I saw this weekend was a aerial shot of wall of water that looked to be going right through what looked like rows of trees and hoop houses.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Omiya is most notable bonsai area in Japan, but it is inland and not as far north as Sendai. Ironically, it was an earthquake in 1923 (I think) that spurred many noted bonsai growers to move there from the Tokyo area.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Isao Omachi is from Sendai. I was told that he and his family ran to safety but he lost his home and all bonsai (his and clients) including kokofu trees. I am sorry for his loss. He is more fortunate than many others. Life is more precious than even the best bonsai. What a tragedy....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank God he made it out. Trees can be replaced.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isao Omachi is from Sendai. I was told that he and his family ran to safety but he lost his home and all bonsai (his and clients) including kokofu trees. I am sorry for his loss. He is more fortunate than many others. Life is more precious than even the best bonsai. What a tragedy....

I'm glad he and his family are safe, I've had the pleasure of seeing him work a couple of times and he he is a great artist, and very nice guy to boot.
As the story unfolds it just keeps getting worse and worse. Very sad

If anyone here is a Facebook person, Marco Invernizzi has made a group called OMACHI GAMBATTE and is setting up bank accounts for donations to the family if you want to help

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The earthquake and tsunami affected a huge portion of Honshu, Japan's largest island. I can just speculate that a countless number of precious bonsai was destroyed, and entire nurseries obliterated, but in light of the greater tragedies, nobody would mention such a thing. But for the survivors, I can't even imagine how it feels to lose an entire collection of great bonsai that you cared for, during most of your life.

It is also possible that many bonsai professionals in the affected areas lost their livelihood. The whole industry may have taken a big set-back, due to the staggering financial and human toll.

Last edited:
Top Bottom