Bonsai as Carry on

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will be transporting a grape vine bonsai by air later this week. Does anyone have experience taking a tree as carry on?

I plan is to pack it as if I were going to ship it (but unsealed for inspection), just in case I can't take it as carry on (it is two inches too long) and have to check it into baggage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You go by the handle "Jeff Lahr" over on FaceBook, and Bonsai Barry here.

Why the obfuscation?

I can understand using a made up name, but why not stay consistant?

Zerojoke

Seedling
Reaction score
Some people might not want to use their real name. If that's the case why disrespect their wishes?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've brought trees home on an airplane before, but I always made sure I could carry them on board and put them in the overhead bin (sometimes I had to turn them sideways). I would remove any pot and wrap the roots in newspaper and tape it, then put the whole thing in plastic bags. I got a few looks, but never had a problem.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some people might not want to use their real name. If that's the case why disrespect their wishes?
I said that I can understand using a made up name.

The dude posed the exact same question on FaceBook using a different name. What's up with that?

I use the same name and avatar on several Bonsai sites so that I can establish a reputation. I'm the same "Adair" on all the sites.

Zerojoke

Seedling
Reaction score
I said that I can understand using a made up name.

The dude posed the exact same question on FaceBook using a different name. What's up with that?

I use the same name and avatar on several Bonsai sites so that I can establish a reputation. I'm the same "Adair" on all the sites.

That's his decision. For whatever reason he decided that he didn't want to use his real name on this site. I think in the interests of politeness it's best to respect that wish. I think that it's rude to use information that was collected elsewhere to out someone in this fashion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxing

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Who knows if his FaceBook name is his real name?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok, let's assume that his real name is Jeff Lahr, and he wants to remain anonymous on this site. So, he could go by "bonsai Jeff", or something like that.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I've done it once and they did not care. I just put it in a bag like kodama said and set it on the floor.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
You go by the handle "Jeff Lahr" over on FaceBook, and Bonsai Barry here.

Why the obfuscation?

I can understand using a made up name, but why not stay consistant?

Who cares? BB has been on here for ages and is a great guy. Such an old argument and quite pointless really. It is only important to people who don't know about user names. Let's stick to the topic at hand which is if you have any experience taking a tree as carry on...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have carried shohin sized trees on planes in small cardboard boxes that will fit in the overhead bins.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have been curious about this my self. When I make the occasional trip for work I make it a point to scope out the area for bonsai nurseries. I have brought back pots wrapped in dirty laundry but often thought about how to bring back a tree back. I haven't come across a tree that I couldn't live without yet but as some point I'm sure I will.

My concern would be not having room for it in the overhead. With everyone bringing enormous carry ons to avoid the baggage fee the overheads are full by the time the plane is half loaded. My thought would be to pack it as if it were going to be shipped. That way if it did need to be checked at least it would have some protection.

Top Bottom