Bonsai as fine-art object ?

Reaction score
I don't know how you think about this creation displayed at the ‎2011 EXHIBITION CHARLOTTE PERRIAND in OSAKA.
Is this what the Japanese young generation think about bonsai ? the new generation's expression against the old tradition ?..or any message they want to convey to the bonsai lovers...

See here http://amkk.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-11-17

shiki20A03-4804f.jpg

shiki20B02-23616.jpg

Reaction score
thanks Robert for posting... It's interesting, and makes you think of what defines Bonsai as an Art form.
I think, to me at least... these do more to show the scientific anatomy/biology of a plant. It's clear to me that the intent is not necessarily to just show perhaps a Bonsai, if you could call it one, but to perhaps show the whole process of nature as an art.
I think it's rather clever, and I would be curious as to how they are being maintained, since they appear to be still alive... whether or not they actually are, not sure ???

Kind of reminds me of "the Bodies" exhibit that's been going around for some time, where human cadavers are on display in various athletic positions. Very interesting to look at and makes you think... not necessarily sure if it's art, but who's to say???

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's obviously not bonsai. Actually, it has nothing to do with bonsai.

So, when I look at it, I don't judge it by any standard related to bonsai.

But, for me it's hard to look at it from a different perspective, so the inevitable result is that I don't like it very much (I think it's a waste of great bonsai material :))

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is nothing wrong with innovation for the sake of innovation.... but some things should continue to honor the spirit of the old..... while I find it interesting as Art.... I don't find it at all compelling as Bonsai Art..... why? because it lacks all the feeling and emotion evoked by bonsai... it's not at all "quiet" ... it's distracting and busy.... it doesn't tell a story... honestly its not even creative.... it shows not reverence for the material... here it is used simply as a medium demeaning the tree....

hopefully the artist chose to keep the roots misted so that the tree would continue to remain alive.... if not.... well then iirc bonsai stop being bonsai once they die...

its clever.... and in my "modern art" brain I can appreciate it.... in my "bonsai" brain I'm appalled

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So the needles are still green, does this mean that the exhibit is over when the needles dry up and fall off? Or, is that just another part of an evolving exhibition?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just realized that this tree is growing in a hermetically sealed plexiglass box. If this is true, then it will stay alive due to the moist air, and it will never have to be watered.

Previously, I didn't realize that this is the case. But now I like the idea very much. It shows the tree from an entirely different perspective, something that we are not used to see. Not too bad at all.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just realized that this tree is growing in a hermetically sealed plexiglass box. If this is true, then it will stay alive due to the moist air, and it will never have to be watered.

Previously, I didn't realize that this is the case. But now I like the idea very much. It shows the tree from an entirely different perspective, something that we are not used to see. Not too bad at all.

1. Trees do not live via water alone, and I doubt it would survive long as it is.
2. A human heart hooked up to a heart-lung machine could be kept "alive" dangling like that for a brief art exhibit just as well, I suppose, and would probably look about as appealing, and would probably have the same duration-related chance of long-term survival when put back in its "pot."
3. Nah, I'll skip #3. :)

Reaction score
A few years ago we had something in Sydney at the Moden Art Museum where implements of torture were attached to bonsai in the name of art.

Not my cup of tea but I suggested we not react as publicity would be what the artist was after.

Grant

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Trees do not live via water alone, and I doubt it would survive long as it is.
2. A human heart hooked up to a heart-lung machine could be kept "alive" dangling like that for a brief art exhibit just as well, I suppose, and would probably look about as appealing, and would probably have the same duration-related chance of long-term survival when put back in its "pot."
3. Nah, I'll skip #3. :)

Yep, good point about the human heart as art work. In light of that, the exhibit lost its appeal to me, once again. It lacks dignity and respect towards the tree, in my view. It is shown as a freaky curiosity, or just trying to be something unusual.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Atilla, Grant, good points both. I thought of both standard torture and sado-masochistic bondage when I first saw it, as well as the simple lack of dignity and respect towards the tree. I suppose that if the person who created this set out to provoke such responses in the viewers, then the project was "successful." But it says much of someone that they would want to provoke such responses in others. And ultimately, when it comes right down to it, as art, it's just butt-ugly. Probably got a taxpayer-funded grant for it anyway, though. :rolleyes:

treekutter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happened to the Horticulture part of Bonsai

Top Bottom