Bonsai at work…

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So, anybody else think I have too many Japanese black pine?? :)
No, I’m starting to think you don’t have a “real” job though...
😜

My trees look like crap this year.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
No, I’m starting to think you don’t have a “real” job though...
😜

My trees look like crap this year.
Ha!! This is the "slow" time of year, typically... fewer annual visits for vaccinations vs the spring. Luckily, it coincides with JBP fall work time. I keep my tweezers and my shears in my lab coat pocket and head out to the back in between appointments or when there's a lull, or during lunch break. Fwiw, my trees would look like crap... or look crappier then they do... if I couldn't work on them here.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Ha!! This is the "slow" time of year, typically... fewer annual visits for vaccinations vs the spring. Luckily, it coincides with JBP fall work time. I keep my tweezers and my shears in my lab coat pocket and head out to the back in between appointments or when there's a lull, or during lunch break. Fwiw, my trees would look like crap... or look crappier then they do... if I couldn't work on them here.
So where is “here”...maybe I can run a few overgrown JBP over to you in case you run out of your own to work on.😂
Enjoy it while you can. I’m hoping to get to mine this winter.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
get back to work - millions are depending on it

i really have to right now actually

congrats on all your hard work and success btw, for real. it doesnt get enough credit these days

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Guess you could start trading trees. Buy sticks. Work them for a year. Sell bonsai.
Sounds like you have plenty of lull hours!
It can be hit or miss, but time of year does matter and the fall tends to be a bit slow but will pick up toward the holidays. Often times, I'll have a few open appointment slots throughout the day, or a cancellation that pops up, while on other days, I'll show up at 8 am and not sit down until I get into my car to drive home after 6 pm... those are usually the days when I bring in to trees to work on!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It can be hit or miss, but time of year does matter and the fall tends to be a bit slow but will pick up toward the holidays. Often times, I'll have a few open appointment slots throughout the day, or a cancellation that pops up, while on other days, I'll show up at 8 am and not sit down until I get into my car to drive home after 6 pm... those are usually the days when I bring in to trees to work on!
charles khourey, fairhaven MA, great Kirby, i mean dentist

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you cut the needles in select areas on the last JBP pictured?

And while I'mma asking, I'm feelin' the short branching, and feel that too many people new to JBP start pulling needles FAR too early.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you cut the needles in select areas on the last JBP pictured?

And while I'mma asking, I'm feelin' the short branching, and feel that too many people new to JBP start pulling needles FAR too early.

....and early means in the overall timeline of the trees development.....not timing during the course of the growing season....

Top Bottom