Bonsai Auction/99 Cent Bonsai Shadiness - and a better alternative!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure that many of you saw the recent post on the Facebook groups, Bonsai Auction and 99 Cent Bonsai. The admins of those pages, who are already notorious for being shady and cliquey, have decided to begin charging sellers and buyers to use the auction. The whole point of these groups originally was to avoid the fees that a site like eBay would come with and to help sellers reach bonsai enthusiasts nation/worldwide.

I would invite everyone to boycott Bonsai Auction and 99 Cent Bonsai and instead join the group below:

This new group will always be 100% free to use for buyers and sellers and is being moderated by a great lineup. This set of all-stars are volunteering their time in order to further the bonsai hobby instead of scraping a few bucks from people who are helping to facilitate the practice.

The moderators are as follows: Emrys Berkower, Ben Griffin, Michael Ryan Bell, Jason Schley, Roy Minarai, Pete Bak, Matt Ouwinga, Sam Miller, and Chris Lewis. These are some of the all stars in American bonsai for those who aren't aware.

The first round of auctions will begin 12/24. Rumor has it, there will be some great deals to kick off this auction. There are already thousands of members and it is growing rapidly. This new group will become the primary Facebook Auction group, so you should join it now!

Reaction score
Also, there will be another auction site specifically for bonsai pots moderated by the same group.

Palltergeist

Seedling
Reaction score
the new admin team is made up of the most fair and honest people, and are in my experience excellent communicators! this is a very welcome improvement to our community

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So, there are now 2 sites named Bonsai Auctions on Facebook? One asking for 3% donations and one not?

Regards,
Martin

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too bad you have Facebook phobia. You're missing out...no other real way to get at this stuff. You might get lucky trying to surf individual web pages, but you won't get the best deals. Facebook may be evil sometimes, but hey, it's where this stuff lives.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
👆👆👆What he said. Besides I’m ok paying a small fee for a service. I’ve been paying eBay, PayPal, and other bonsai sites fees for various services so I don’t see a big problem with it.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi, I'm sure that many of you saw the recent post on the Facebook groups, Bonsai Auction and 99 Cent Bonsai. The admins of those pages, who are already notorious for being shady and cliquey, have decided to begin charging sellers and buyers to use the auction. The whole point of these groups originally was to avoid the fees that a site like eBay would come with and to help sellers reach bonsai enthusiasts nation/worldwide.

I would invite everyone to boycott Bonsai Auction and 99 Cent Bonsai and instead join the group below:

This new group will always be 100% free to use for buyers and sellers and is being moderated by a great lineup. This set of all-stars are volunteering their time in order to further the bonsai hobby instead of scraping a few bucks from people who are helping to facilitate the practice.

The moderators are as follows: Emrys Berkower, Ben Griffin, Michael Ryan Bell, Jason Schley, Roy Minarai, Pete Bak, Matt Ouwinga, Sam Miller, and Chris Lewis. These are some of the all stars in American bonsai for those who aren't aware.

The first round of auctions will begin 12/24. Rumor has it, there will be some great deals to kick off this auction. There are already thousands of members and it is growing rapidly. This new group will become the primary Facebook Auction group, so you should join it now!

It sounds like you have an “in” with the moderators. I created a Facebook called “Colorado Bonsai” for the purpose of these types of auctions and the assholes who were moderating them wouldn’t let me join the group, I guess because I don’t have any “friends” on Facebook.

I’d love to be an active participant in these auctions notwithstanding the fact I don’t prefer to use Facebook for anything else...

I submitted a request to this group so if you wouldn’t mind asking them to approve me I’d really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I boycott it simply because the prices/bidders are freaking insane. I'm like "You want what for that 'rare' hinoki that looks just like the one I picked up from my local nursery?" I'm not trying to throw shade at anyone. Just that I don't place the kinds of premiums that they're placing on the things I've seen thus far. Some of it is super cool. Just too rich for my blood.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
👆👆👆What he said. Besides I’m ok paying a small fee for a service. I’ve been paying eBay, PayPal, and other bonsai sites fees for various services so I don’t see a big problem with it.
My question would be what does the fee cover? Isn't all of this free for them? I guess it covers their time. 🤔

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sounds like you have an “in” with the moderators. I created a Facebook called “Colorado Bonsai” for the purpose of these types of auctions and the assholes who were moderating them wouldn’t let me join the group, I guess because I don’t have any “friends” on Facebook.

I’d love to be an active participant in these auctions notwithstanding the fact I don’t prefer to use Facebook for anything else...

I submitted a request to this group so if you wouldn’t mind asking them to approve me I’d really appreciate it.
They aren't assholes for not admitting a site that looks to have no participants. They're protecting the group. Pages with no activity are a tactic used on Facebook scammers do to gain access to other members' data. You're not a scammer, but your page makes it look that way.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They aren't assholes for not admitting a site that looks to have no participants. They're protecting the group. Pages with no activity are a tactic used on Facebook scammers do to gain access to other members' data. You're not a scammer, but your page makes it look that way.

Well, then what would you suggest in your infinite Facebook wisdom?

Seriously, I would like to know how I can participate in the Bonsai Auctions without having to post pictures of the pancakes that I ate for breakfast or having to read about the political opinions of the guy who sat three seats behind me in high school history class.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Seriously, I would like to know how I can participate in the Bonsai Auctions without having to post pictures of the pancakes that I ate for breakfast or having to read about the political opinions of the guy who sat three seats behind me in high school history class.
It’s pretty simple. When I was breeding snakes, I set up an account just for that. The buying and selling of reptiles. I didn’t use my real name, no one knows. If it wasn’t reptile related, I didn’t follow or become a “friend “of that page or person.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question would be what does the fee cover? Isn't all of this free for them? I guess it covers their time. 🤔

Seriously, stop bitching at me about what YOU won't do. YOU CAN'T really participate in FB auction, UNLESS YOU'RE A MEMBER OF FACEBOOK. Calling people names because YOU have opted NOT to join is pretty silly. Obviously, FB is NOT what you stereotype it as. Maybe time to reconsider the decision not to join...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No dog in this fight here....but I fully support those who abandon facebook and the like.
I've never been on Facebook, Twitter Instagram or any social site other than Bnut.....don't intend to start now.

Why?
I don't like the censorship or the general wide-ranging damage it has caused to basic human social interaction.
I think it can be used for good, sure....but its just not for me.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No dog in this fight here....but I fully support those who abandon facebook and the like.
I've never been on Facebook, Twitter Instagram or any social site other than Bnut.....don't intend to start now.

Why?
I don't like the censorship or the general wide-ranging damage it has caused to basic human social interaction.
I think it can be used for good, sure....but its just not for me.

I agree. I think on balance social media has done more damage to society than good.

Top Bottom