Bonsai Bee

SCULLY

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,

Thanks for having me! I study trees and forests but am new to the art of bonsai and found this site (loaded with great info from longtime artists) and felt it necessary I join for reasons just like this.

I'm Currently living in Gainesville, FL and recently obtained a Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum) to bonsai. Since I've gotten it potted and outside, there has been something weird happening and I'm hoping to get an answer or at least discussion started about it. I have noticed that bees are coming to the BC pot and "digging" at the edges of the soil. My assumption here is that they are going after moisture, but for whatever reason are only targeting THIS TREE. My fiance and I have plenty of other plants and trees in pots sitting adjacent to this one, but this is the only tree the bees are attracted to. Also, my "collection" consists of two trees so far, both are sitting in humidity trays with water in them...and the bees do not seem interested in this water, just the water from the soil? Are they after nutrient rich water over "plain" water, or does this have to do with the water being stagnant?
I am posting a picture to illustrate the bee scenario
I think it is important to note that we have not received any rain in quite some time, so conditions are very dry.
(side question: Do any of you here have examples of maybe creating a setup that aerates a small pool of water for their BC to sit in to mimic a swamp of sorts? Or is keeping a BC close to completely submerged a no-no in bonsai culture?)
IMG_1381.JPG

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Bald Cypress can but don't need to be submerged 1-2" I was told and the water should be stagnant it gets pretty scanky after a while. No idea on the bees though.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

The bees will have left a scent on that pot, so it's likely they check it often, even of there is no water.

My calendar picture for next month is BC in Florida!

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man, you're lucky. I only get wasps to do that.
They get both the moisture as well as the minerals. If there's stagnant water in nature, usually there's also mineral rich clay around. Your tree and pot might give off a smell like that, and the bees seem to like it.

Another option might be that they are solitary bees that are looking for nesting sites.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most likely you have Mud Daubers harvesting mud to build their nests. At least here generally very inoffensive🥰. If Honey Bees or solitary bees could just be getting a drink at convenient fountain in your yard.

SCULLY

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for the thoughts y'all. Hoping to get some rain here soon and I'll see if the behavior continues.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bees, could be coming for water, or minerals, or not mentioned yet, fungi and or exudates from fungus. Bees do forage and drink up the liquid that beads up on certain fungi. Apparently has some beneficial antibiotic effect for bees. But most likely is water.

SCULLY

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Bees, could be coming for water, or minerals, or not mentioned yet, fungi and or exudates from fungus. Bees do forage and drink up the liquid that beads up on certain fungi. Apparently has some beneficial antibiotic effect for bees. But most likely is water.

Hadn't thought of this...I'm making the assumption here that it's not the case with my bonsai, but nevertheless its interesting to consider. I found an interesting paper written in the 90's about the types of fungi typically collected (even if accidentally) by bees when working. see source below. This quarantine sure has me going down rabbit-holes I wouldn't normally have the time to be researching.

Shaw, D. E. (1990). The incidental collection of fungal spores by bees and the collection of spores in lieu of pollen. Bee world, 71(4), 158-176.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I suddenly have a lot of bees drinking from the soil of my tree garden. Anyone have experience repelling them?

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wulfskaar

I remember seeing bees coming to a shady spot of leaf litter over pavement where a hose fitting leaked moisture, during a dry spell here. Enough bees that there was a steady hum.

Maybe give them their own spot, even if it's a pan of damp bonsai soil with no trees for competition?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bees don't have internet connections, but they do tell their comrades where the good stuff is, so you are not seeing the same bee, you are seeing fellow travelers from a single hive.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Wulfskaar

I remember seeing bees coming to a shady spot of leaf litter over pavement where a hose fitting leaked moisture, during a dry spell here. Enough bees that there was a steady hum.

Maybe give them their own spot, even if it's a pan of damp bonsai soil with no trees for competition?
I did try the tray of wet dirt yesterday but didn't notice any less bees. Sprinkled some cinnamon around and took away a couple pots they liked and they seem to be gone for now!

Top Bottom