Bonsai bench

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I’m wondering if anyone knows someone making attractive bonsai benches, or pedestals. They would have to be able to withstand Florida heat and rain. I know I could hire a carpenter to make custom ones, but I wanted to know if there is a company or individual who specializes in this. I’m using a basic three tiered plant bench but it’s not terribly wide or nice to look at. I’m located in SW Florida, so depending on the size of the item proximity would be nice.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've heard friends from down south complain about how harsh the elements are to benches and such. An idea...for a pedestal/monkey pole or two. What about a chimney cap?

I have one for displaying a single tree. I love the look. Surely would stand up to your elements.
FB_IMG_1616016055402.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the terra cotta look given by @Cadillactaste. A good choice for Florida. These would weather well and look aged well in a couple seasons. If bench boards are still desired, research and consider composite decking boards. I find them at Home Depot or Lowe’s. I believe that these boards would withstand your weather quite well. The boards are a nice earthy color tone. Easy to work with.

Indoor Trees

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think it kind of gets lost for the forest behind it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
18 pages of ideas here. Id imagine there is some benches from hot and humid environments.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't want to create two separate threads covering the same subject. We might want to create one thread for "permanent" structures, versus one that are "moveable" structures...

Because of my current situation (tearing down old house, building new house) I am 100% mobile benches consisting of dry stack concrete blocks and pressure-treated pine boards. Not sexy, but gets the job done. Once the new house is built, I will use a similar setup in my development nursery, but will go with nicer, permanent stands in my garden.

benches.jpg

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've heard friends from down south complain about how harsh the elements are to benches and such. An idea...for a pedestal/monkey pole or two. What about a chimney cap?

I have one for displaying a single tree. I love the look. Surely would stand up to your elements.
View attachment 361645
I’m definitely in all types of stands. This does look nice.
I like the terra cotta look given by @Cadillactaste. A good choice for Florida. These would weather well and look aged well in a couple seasons. If bench boards are still desired, research and consider composite decking boards. I find them at Home Depot or Lowe’s. I believe that these boards would withstand your weather quite well. The boards are a nice earthy color tone. Easy to work with.
I will look for these this weekend! Thanks for the advice.
I don't want to create two separate threads covering the same subject. We might want to create one thread for "permanent" structures, versus one that are "moveable" structures...

Because of my current situation (tearing down old house, building new house) I am 100% mobile benches consisting of dry stack concrete blocks and pressure-treated pine boards. Not sexy, but gets the job done. Once the new house is built, I will use a similar setup in my development nursery, but will go with nicer, permanent stands in my garden.

View attachment 361655
I actually think the way you have it set up looks nice. The concrete you are using looks clean compared to the concrete stones I have seen many use. I honestly feel lll Iole in bonsai we focus so much on the perfect features of the trees and the smallest of details within the tree and pot, but excluding shows, many collection: are placed on stands that look like half constructed and raw. I feel like it’s missing the point of the aesthetics of bonsai. Not that the stand should be particularly attractive by itself, but simply camouflage into the background of the whole display.

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
18 pages of ideas here. Id imagine there is some benches from hot and humid environments.
Thank you for the link this really helps!

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I bought this book last year. It was either from Stone Lantern or ABS Bonsai book store. It isn't available from either of them now, but I think SuperFly has it. I'm not positive what I've done with mine, but I'm trying to sort through my books/magazines and get them on a designated shelf in the next couple of days.

(I went with concrete block stacked, under 4x4x10s. I got a little hasty and a few aren't level, but they're close. Being able to get to all sides of the trees has really helped me be able to stay on top of them. Tiered shelves end up putting you too far away from the ones at the back and the ones at the front are at a poor level to interact with.)

D

Deleted member 32750

I built my bench based on this article. https://kusamurabonsai.org/MemberStories/BonsaiBench/index.html

I live in a townhome so I needed something kind of small and a little discrete as I don’t have a big yard. I’ve enjoyed mine so far and have found it to fit my needs.

it was super easy to build too. Hardest part is making sure the blocks are level. Overall it cost me about $100 for materials but that included a saw to cut the 2x4 into the right size as I didn’t have a saw at the time.

Attachments

• 04BCC0D6-97BC-43E4-A261-ACB6D92EFD76.jpeg
    04BCC0D6-97BC-43E4-A261-ACB6D92EFD76.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 174

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it kind of gets lost for the forest behind it.
🤔 none of my trees are in my landscape. They reside on my patio or deck. Lost in the forest... the house is the backdrop for the chimney cap. Dark on the edges of image. My landscape was set before I ever got into bonsai. My first passion...so my bonsai do not disturb my lawn.
20210318_093033.jpg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
🤔 none of my trees are in my landscape. They reside on my patio or terrace. Lost in the forest ... the house is the backdrop for the chimney cap. Dark around the edges of the image. My landscape was defined even before I started bonsai. My first passion ... so that my bonsai does not disturb my lawn.
View attachment 361709
Beautiful place, it is very poetic and gives a calm and serene atmosphere.
👍

Personally, I also prefer it when the bonsai are spread all over the garden rather than all lined up and grouped on shelves.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful place, it is very poetic and gives a calm and serene atmosphere.
👍

Personally, I also prefer it when the bonsai are spread all over the garden rather than all lined up and grouped on shelves.
I have far to much wildlife to feel comfortable with it in my landscape. I have a feeding patio for them as well. Last year I lost my exposed root crabapple moving it away from my collection when I noticed it needed treated for white powdery mildew. Roots were chewed and it was destroyed. When it was actually over in the area of hardscape which didn't have much plants other than succulents. I set it over near the waterfall. So...we have to pick and choose our battles. The lake is dealing with beaver currently. I have wooded lots on one side of me...a wooded ravine on the other side. My sun room is actually built out over top of it. We have tons of wildlife. Groundhog, opossum, squirrel, chipmunks, coyote, fox,bobcat,skunk, deer,the list goes on. The location of my trees...are also for safe keeping. I don't knock ones who have Asian gardens with trees in their lawn. I just can't where I live...plus, I like to look at the landscape and have it seem natural, clean lines That's me.
Thanks, love where I live.
Screenshot_20210318-110104_Gallery.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
🤔 none of my trees are in my landscape. They reside on my patio or deck. Lost in the forest... the house is the backdrop for the chimney cap. Dark on the edges of image. My landscape was set before I ever got into bonsai. My first passion...so my bonsai do not disturb my lawn.
View attachment 361709

That's a neat solution against the house

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just be aware that any bonsai close to solid structure has stronger light on one side. Branches do grow better on the lighter side and we do tend to like the 'front' of the trees facing out. Leaving the trees facing one way will eventually leave the shaded side weak and cause problems. In some cases I have seen entire branches die from lack of light. If you have trees near walls or fences you should be disciplined enough to rotate them regularly so all sides get even light to stay equally healthy.
Tiered benches look great but pose a similar problem. Lower levels are shaded by the trees and benches above. It is possible to place shade loving species lower to minimize problems but most tiered benches I have seen have had weaker trees on the lowest levels, mine included.

Bonsai benches not only need to look good but also need to provide optimum conditions for the trees.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just be aware that any bonsai close to solid structure has stronger light on one side. Branches do grow better on the lighter side and we do tend to like the 'front' of the trees facing out. Leaving the trees facing one way will eventually leave the shaded side weak and cause problems. In some cases I have seen entire branches die from lack of light. If you have trees near walls or fences you should be disciplined enough to rotate them regularly so all sides get even light to stay equally healthy.
Tiered benches look great but pose a similar problem. Lower levels are shaded by the trees and benches above. It is possible to place shade loving species lower to minimize problems but most tiered benches I have seen have had weaker trees on the lowest levels, mine included.

Bonsai benches not only need to look good but also need to provide optimum conditions for the trees.
Agreed! Very important for the overall health of the tree. Just as allowing a tree to grow out and look unkept at times for stronger trees.

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well as an update I decided to try and make my take on a monkey pole over this weekend. It’s a pedestal made of concrete blocks. I’m really happy with it so far and plan to make 4 more for a total of 5 for my best trees. It was very easy to make, the only down side is it’s very heavy and not something that can be moved around easily. In case anyone is interested I added a photo of the blocks I used which I purchase from Lowe’s.

Thank you to everyone for all the ideas!

Attachments

• 71F44B28-EADD-48F3-AAA3-72578449918C.jpeg
    71F44B28-EADD-48F3-AAA3-72578449918C.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 9353EDB6-72A5-43EC-A31D-15A6164042FC.jpeg
    9353EDB6-72A5-43EC-A31D-15A6164042FC.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 173
D

Deleted member 32750

Well as an update I decided to try and make my take on a monkey pole over this weekend. It’s a pedestal made of concrete blocks. I’m really happy with it so far and plan to make 4 more for a total of 5 for my best trees. It was very easy to make, the only down side is it’s very heavy and not something that can be moved around easily. In case anyone is interested I added a photo of the blocks I used which I purchase from Lowe’s.

Thank you to everyone for all the ideas!
Looks good. Did you seal the blocks together somehow? Hopefully a strong wind can’t knock it down

Top Bottom