Bonsai bench

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks good. Did you seal the blocks together somehow? Hopefully a strong wind can’t knock it down
I used landscape block adhesive. Close to the top the blocks started to bow out, so I used duct tape for the first 24 hours to ensure good contact between the horizontal stones. They are very solidly attached to each other. Other than a deliberate force acting to push them over, they are very sturdy. Unfortunately as you mentioned, I can not predict how they would hold up against hurricane force winds, and I do live SW Florida. If a hurricane became a threat to my location I would plan on laying them down on the grown during the storm. Typical storm weather should not be able to move them.

D

Deleted member 32750

I used landscape block adhesive. Close to the top the blocks started to bow out, so I used duct tape for the first 24 hours to ensure good contact between the horizontal stones. They are very solidly attached to each other. Other than a deliberate force acting to push them over, they are very sturdy. Unfortunately as you mentioned, I can not predict how they would hold up against hurricane force winds, and I do live SW Florida. If a hurricane became a threat to my location I would plan on laying them down on the grown during the storm. Typical storm weather should not be able to move them.
It looks really good. You did a good job. I might copy this setup in the future

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard friends from down south complain about how harsh the elements are to benches and such. An idea...for a pedestal/monkey pole or two. What about a chimney cap?

I have one for displaying a single tree. I love the look. Surely would stand up to your elements.
View attachment 361645
You’ve reminded me of beautiful end- and coffee-tables that I saw years ago — made from sections of terra cotta flue pipe (I think) with glass tops resting on clear plastic feet. The terra cotta sections were round and also square with rounded corners. Stable, and not terribly heavy w/o the glass. Don’t know if owner/designer had them cut to size — sections might come taller. Attractive concrete pavers might make good platforms.

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It looks really good. You did a good job. I might copy this setup in the future
Thank you!

Same question, was mortar used/needed?
only thing I used was landscape block
adhesive to attach the blocks together and duct tape to hold the top 3 sets of blocks together for the first 24 hours. Without the duct tape the top concrete platform would not have sat correctly on the uppermost grey blocks as they would have bowed downward. I used a whole tube of landscape adhesive with a calk gun for the pedestal so I was generous with the application. The block are firmly adhered together after only 24 hours. In fact they are so firmly adhered together now that it’s important to be sure it’s all lined up perfectly once you’ve first placed the stones because unless you want to use a sledge hammer the stones will not separate now. I attached the first two stones on a flat level surface to ensure they were even. I estimate the weight of this exact pedestal to be 450 pounds, so moving it is hard. I would make sure it’s where you want it as your building it. I did find a dolly for around $80 at Home Depot that can handle 800 pounds that can move object on 2 wheels and 4 wheels, so moving them is possible.

Millard B.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm due east in S. Palm Beach County, getting ready to re-plank my 10 year old rotten Home depot #2 pressure treated 1"x 6" decking boards. I found Marine Grade Ground Contact #1 pressure treated lumber from Southern Pine Resources. Same price as #2 PT at HD/Lowes. For my large finished trees I'm stacking (2) 8x8x16 concrete blocks side by side, 5high with a 24" square patio stone on top, SOLID! Coming Memorial Day weekend BSF State Convention in Orlando, I'll be there as a vendor selling my bonsai pots. Throwing, slabbing, or extruding 3 to 5 pots a day to have enough stock.
Be Safe

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don't want to create two separate threads covering the same subject. We might want to create one thread for "permanent" structures, versus one that are "moveable" structures...

Because of my current situation (tearing down old house, building new house) I am 100% mobile benches consisting of dry stack concrete blocks and pressure-treated pine boards. Not sexy, but gets the job done. Once the new house is built, I will use a similar setup in my development nursery, but will go with nicer, permanent stands in my garden.

View attachment 361655
Nice—are those Anderson flats?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice—are those Anderson flats?
The flats in my pic are the 15" Anderson flats. (There are also some 11" pond baskets in the photo). Given pandemic drama, I had to move across the country with bare-rooted trees. My pots came several months later... and well after the point where I felt it would be safe to pot them up.

Drjd

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So my final update to this post. Here is my finished display area for my top 5 trees. (The one on the far left has not been worked on yet or repotted it’s only a prebonsai right now).

Attachments

• 69CDDAF9-329B-4AC6-9DE6-F96CBB3BCC7E.jpeg
    69CDDAF9-329B-4AC6-9DE6-F96CBB3BCC7E.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 74

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great stuff.

I rebuilt mine last year (was 12 years old) and I now have composite planks and I had to add some cross members to aid stability.

SerSwanky

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So my final update to this post. Here is my finished display area for my top 5 trees. (The one on the far left has not been worked on yet or repotted it’s only a prebonsai right now).
These turned out amazing. I absolutely love the color. Well done. I will definitely be stealing this at some point!

Top Bottom