Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
1. meet and take a workshop with Wu Chengfa
2. a huge marble penjing forest with some type of chinese elm
3. a large satsuki or kurume azalea
4. a large chinese elm cascade or semi cascade
5. a maple with a ton of movement in informal upright style
6. kiyohime maple...not broom. (work in progress)!
7. literati jwp
8. literati chinese elm (work in progress)
9. a "wow" type of tree that is completely unique (working on this too...in year 3 and no one has seen it among fellow bonsai enthusiasts but myself and the guy who I did the workshop with....hopefully I will be able to post something in a few years :)
10. "finish" at least one tree myself from pre bonsai stock
11. "finish" one tree myself that I grew from a cutting
12. do 3 root over rocks...one with a large boulder, one with a tall skinny rock, and one with something nick lenz'esque. All three are works in progress currently :)
13. a nice bonsai display area/garden
14. automatic watering system for away trips
15. a nice shohin tree of all the major styles (informal upright, cascade, etc.) and a nice flowering shohin (just got that one this year and it's progressing wonderfully...can't wait to see what the flowers look like!

BethF

Mame
Reaction score
1. Nice (good trunk, nebari,etc.) medium to large trident maple of cultivar with small leaves and petioles.
2. Large ginko with fat trunk.
3. Shohin twisted trunk juniper.
4. Twisted trunk persimmon.
5. Medium to large acer campestre with great trunk and branching.
6. Large hawthorn.
7. Great pine literati.
8. Old, large oak.
9. World class JBP.
10. "Fairy tale" tree, any species, a la Walter Pall.
11. Arakawa JM.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If we're adding pots, here is my Tofukuji bucket list pot...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 36
Reaction score
I know this sounds funny, but... I like what I have.

I learned some years back, that unless I have tons of money, an agent scouring the globe, or a garden of utopia to collect from, that the only way I would be able to compete with those who do, would be that if I figured out a way to put the awesome into the tree... don't think I am there yet, but on my way. So, my bucket list would be, to be able to transform a not so amazing piece of material into one that was, and be able to compete side by side with trees that are. For me at least, then it would be all about what I as an artist have done, which means alot to me.

Not trying to knock anyone, just explaining the values and goals, that I personally hold for myself.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I learned some years back, that unless I have tons of money, an agent scouring the globe, or a garden of utopia to collect from, that the only way I would be able to compete with those who do, would be that if I figured out a way to put the awesome into the tree... don't think I am there yet, but on my way. So, my bucket list would be, to be able to transform a not so amazing piece of material into one that was, and be able to compete side by side with trees that are. For me at least, then it would be all about what I as an artist have done, which means alot to me.

Not trying to knock anyone, just explaining the values and goals, that I personally hold for myself.

Something we should all strive for Stacy. Well said.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

That all sounds great! Artistic! And goal oriented. However isn't there once species of tree that you don't have, that you would like to work your artistic magic on ? I think that is what the idea of this thread is. It wasn't about a competition. It was more about creating a tree that would make you fulfilled.

Reaction score
That all sounds great! Artistic! And goal oriented. However isn't there once species of tree that you don't have, that you would like to work your artistic magic on ? I think that is what the idea of this thread is. It wasn't about a competition. It was more about creating a tree that would make you fulfilled.
I understand... and I know it wasn't about competition. I like working on what ever is put in front of me. The more complicated and harder to figure out a path forward the better. For me it is like a puzzle.

So, I personally don't really care what type of material i own or work on as long as I don't have to fight the material's horticultural needs to do well where I live. This only sets me up to fail. So, unless I plan on moving, me wishing to work on something I can't doesn't seem wise. And, what works well in my area, I pretty much own.

I could then say, I would love to own type of material that I currently own, just 10 times better... but, then this would defeat what I said with my first post that you quoted... being that for me it is all about becoming better as an artist, not necessarily about having good trees. If one can turn a piece of junk into a tree that is equal to or greater than some of the top notch trees, well then it is time to retire.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
. If one can turn a piece of junk into a tree that is equal to or greater than some of the top notch trees, well then it is time to retire.
It would be time for many things but definitely not retire :)

I can see that art comes before the trees for you. Sounds fair enough. I'm more partial to some trees then others though
I like spruce, pines. Not that much into juniper

Reaction score
It would be time for many things but definitely not retire :)

I can see that art comes before the trees for you. Sounds fair enough. I'm more partial to some trees then others though
I like spruce, pines. Not that much into juniper
Wasn't trying to take the thread in a different direction, nor trying to criticize anyone. Everyone appreciates different things and I know that Adair was only having fun by putting up a thread to get people talking in a hypothetical. Like a Christmas list of what one would like Santa to bring! For, me I just love the. Creating side. So, my bucket list would just be to become better at creating!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg

My inspiration for a raft...I positively LOVE the left side of the raft. How it comes up out of the earth then back down ...for me I love it even more void of foliage. A very sexy tree! It has curves in all the right places...lol I wouldn't mind creating one...if I had an amazing base to work off of. Something with movement and character.

Though the foliage is lovely...I tend to love it naked. Link where I found this lovely specimen.
https://bonsaibaker.wordpress.com/2013/11/10/raft-maple-2/
image.jpg

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anything in Walter Pall's garden!

I would love to have a high quality 100+ year old collected pitch pine. Dan Robinson has a couple of great examples in his garden. I have also seen a very nice pitch pine that Nick Lenz collected that is featured in his book.

20140518_124712.jpeg

You see so may western pines but very few eastern ones due to availability and accessibility.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
i forgot about wanting a parsley hawthorn...saw the one that is on display in DC and loved it. never seen that one on display before

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The bar for my bonsai goals is set pretty low right now, I've never considered the possibility of entering shows or having masterpieces in my collection. Maybe in time that will change.

I'd like to have studied with a teacher and created 10 nice trees before my time is up.. And although they won't be masterpieces and are works in progress I think I currently have at least one of my "must have species". And the reason for the species I have or still want are directly the result of the members of this website. I have limited exposure to the bonsai world outside of this website, but is has proven to be all the inspiration I need to try and make better trees.

So here's the list:

JBP- I have one in progress I think will be nice one day. BVF's book and trees are a direct inspiration to me for this species. If you have JBP and don't yet have his book, you should get it. He's ALWAYS been helpful and willing to share his wealth of knowledge. If I can serve my JBP well, it will eventually be a nice tree.

Trident- I don't have one worth mentioning yet and would like a larger one that is further along progress wise. I have two small in progress and a large one I chopped down this year. I have been inspired by Smoke's tridents. My first trident I posted here a few years back I thought was a nice tree, he told me why it wasn't(and he's right). I started looking at his works, his processes and then tried to do it. I even started seeds this year after reading his posts on seeds and the screen method. A nice one on my bench one day is a must.

JWP- Judy and October's trees are what turned me on to this species. I have one that I consider nice, not world class, but I love it. My only desire for another would be if I can find one on it's own roots that I love, hard to find, pricey and I'm not sure I'd want something that isn't far along development wise.

J. Maple- Have you seen Mach5's maples??? You should search his threads if you haven't. They are nothing short of incredible and Mach himself is equally awesome in person. His works made me want a gorgeous maple in my collection and he's been so helpful in providing input, knowledge and an artistic opinion as I try to find my way. I have a kashima in progress that is on the right path, thanks to him.

Ume- Not as plentiful on the forums as others, but still some nice examples here. Fred Truck's contorted white is another favorite of mine. I first read about in international bonsai, then saw it posted here. I was sold and ordered some Ume from brent that I'm growing out. Maybe one day i'll have something nice from them. Until then I will oogle at Fred's and the pictures in Kokufu books.

JRP- Dav4 did it to me. I want one some day. His is perfection and I can never grow tired of seeing it.

Shimpaku- Vance, BVF, Dav4, all have shimpakus worth mentioning. This is a species I don't really have one of that I consider to have that certain possibility of becoming a really nice tree. But every time I see their beautiful examples I'm reminded of the empty spot on my bench. One day I'll add a nice specimen to work on.

So that's it for the most part. My desires have been shaped very much as a result of this forum. There are trees from many other members that are inspiring to me as well, so thanks to all of you. I hope the knowledgeable folks that share their teachings truly understand the inspiration they provide to people like me, much like they are inspired by the great professionals they study with and/or admire.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The bar for my bonsai goals is set pretty low right now, I've never considered the possibility of entering shows or having masterpieces in my collection. Maybe in time that will change.

I'd like to have studied with a teacher and created 10 nice trees before my time is up.. And although they won't be masterpieces and are works in progress I think I currently have at least one of my "must have species". And the reason for the species I have or still want are directly the result of the members of this website. I have limited exposure to the bonsai world outside of this website, but is has proven to be all the inspiration I need to try and make better trees.

So here's the list:

JBP- I have one in progress I think will be nice one day. BVF's book and trees are a direct inspiration to me for this species. If you have JBP and don't yet have his book, you should get it. He's ALWAYS been helpful and willing to share his wealth of knowledge. If I can serve my JBP well, it will eventually be a nice tree.

Trident- I don't have one worth mentioning yet and would like a larger one that is further along progress wise. I have two small in progress and a large one I chopped down this year. I have been inspired by Smoke's tridents. My first trident I posted here a few years back I thought was a nice tree, he told me why it wasn't(and he's right). I started looking at his works, his processes and then tried to do it. I even started seeds this year after reading his posts on seeds and the screen method. A nice one on my bench one day is a must.

JWP- Judy and October's trees are what turned me on to this species. I have one that I consider nice, not world class, but I love it. My only desire for another would be if I can find one on it's own roots that I love, hard to find, pricey and I'm not sure I'd want something that isn't far along development wise.

J. Maple- Have you seen Mach5's maples??? You should search his threads if you haven't. They are nothing short of incredible and Mach himself is equally awesome in person. His works made me want a gorgeous maple in my collection and he's been so helpful in providing input, knowledge and an artistic opinion as I try to find my way. I have a kashima in progress that is on the right path, thanks to him.

Ume- Not as plentiful on the forums as others, but still some nice examples here. Fred Truck's contorted white is another favorite of mine. I first read about in international bonsai, then saw it posted here. I was sold and ordered some Ume from brent that I'm growing out. Maybe one day i'll have something nice from them. Until then I will oogle at Fred's and the pictures in Kokufu books.

JRP- Dav4 did it to me. I want one some day. His is perfection and I can never grow tired of seeing it.

Shimpaku- Vance, BVF, Dav4, all have shimpakus worth mentioning. This is a species I don't really have one of that I consider to have that certain possibility of becoming a really nice tree. But every time I see their beautiful examples I'm reminded of the empty spot on my bench. One day I'll add a nice specimen to work on.

So that's it for the most part. My desires have been shaped very much as a result of this forum. There are trees from many other members that are inspiring to me as well, so thanks to all of you. I hope the knowledgeable folks that share their teachings truly understand the inspiration they provide to people like me, much like they are inspired by the great professionals they study with and/or admire.

I concur...I don't aspire for masterpiece show material...for I too am secluded. But, I have dreams of good bones...three styles I desire and as long as the bones are there...and it's native to my area. That's good enough for me...

Yes, Fredtrucks contorted ume is pretty sweet.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think I desire huge tree masterpieces, but I do desire shohin masterpieces...I feel like the shohin show quality bonsai are within my reach and budget long term

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My wishlist includes touring Japan, visiting the bonsai famous nurseries, and attending a Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition. Now, if I can find a way to import some trees back while I'm on the tour. ;)

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My wishlist includes touring Japan, visiting the bonsai famous nurseries, and attending a Kokufu Bonsai Exhibition. Now, if I can find a way to import some trees back while I'm on the tour. ;)

Now that someone's mentioned this, that actually is on my bucket list, too. My regular bucket list, not a bonsai-related one. Thought I was going to cross it off in 1993 when I took a three day layover in Tokyo, but I was uninformed and planned to visit the bonsai nurseries on my last full day in the city. Got up that morning and went to book the ride, and the guy kindly enough reminded me that the bonsai nurseries are closed that day. I think it was a Thursday. I wasn't expecting that to be a day that they close every week. So I went to the Hard Rock Cafe and the Tokyo Tower instead. Very disappointing.

Top Bottom