Bonsai Bucket List

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
michaelj,
that's the most disappointing bonsai story I ever heard...hope you get to go in the future again

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It gets worse. The next chance I had to go to the nurseries was years later, when I was no longer into bonsai, but still enjoyed seeing bonsai trees. I had by then gotten married and had three kids, and for Spring Break, we planned a trip to Tokyo. We weren't sure what all we were going to do, but there were four things on the "for sure" agenda: a day at Tokyo Disneyland, a day at Disney Sea, an evening of karaoke, and a day trip to Omiya. We booked $4,000 worth of airfare and we reserved two rooms at a ryokan. Can you guess what year we booked this Spring Break trip? That's right. 2011. We had insurance that covered the cancellation, so we ended up taking a cool cruise out of Galveston instead, but I still haven't made back it to Tokyo. I'm still hoping to do it in 2016 or 2017.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was able to check a few things off my list (big collected BC, big collected RMJ, collected spruce, collected wisteria, collected cedar elm, big cork bark elm, big willow oak). Some other trees I'd love to have:

-- big JBP

-- big Ponderosa

-- big shimpaku

-- big cascade pine (JBP or ponderosa)

-- big arakawa JM, big JM twin trunk, or better yet, a big arakawa twin trunk

-- cascade atlas cedar

After seeing the JM raft that Darlene posted, I might add one of those too! I went to the guy's blog though, and that particular raft looks to be in a pot that is 30"+ wide.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Reactor shut down?

All that stuff. When we had to decide whether to take the cancellation, they were still having aftershocks, there was still a lot of unknown detail about the radiation danger and if I recall correctly, there wasn't yet a scheduled reopening date for Tokyo Disney, so we played it safe and booked something else.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All that stuff. When we had to decide whether to take the cancellation, they were still having aftershocks, there was still a lot of unknown detail about the radiation danger and if I recall correctly, there wasn't yet a scheduled reopening date for Tokyo Disney, so we played it safe and booked something else.
The last scroll I bought from Japan had just made it through Japan customs and was on its way to America when the Earthquake hit. Pond, grass and dragon Flies. Wizard of Oz maple in 2013

006.JPG

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Definitely also on my list. Take bonsaiclass while I'm in Japan. The plan was to start beginning this year but my work prevented it.. Hope to start somewhere in September.. That would be nice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scratched one more off my bucket list today.
A previously unposted one.....

Today, I got to shake the hand of my bonsai hero. "King Kusamono"

Owen Reich !

Starstruck I was, too scared to ask for a Wutang battle pic! Maybe next time!

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Scratched one more off my bucket list today.
A previously unposted one.....

Today, I got to shake the hand of my bonsai hero. "King Kusamono"

Owen Reich !

Starstruck I was, too scared to ask for a Wutang battle pic! Maybe next time!

Sorce
I guess you'll never wash that hand again :rolleyes:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely! :DYamadori Olllllld Bristlecone pine, :D Yamadori Ollllld Limber pine, :DYamadori Olllld Oak of most any species.
Not to be confused with so called o_Ourbandori trees.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At this point I just want something to be proud of. At least one nice tree is all I want. Seems I am in a frustrating rut of endless sticks in pots with nothing nice in the near future.

Specifically though:
-Nice shohin trident
-Mame Shimpaku
-Larch forest
-Finished crabapple with persistant fruit
-Shohin Willow leaf ficus
-BRT
-A few good jbp or jwp
-Large japanese maple with white bark
-Shohin seiju elm with nice taper and old bark
-Arakawa maple

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I can Scratch Spruce off my bucket list as i picked one up in the week. Ive also wanted a Hornbeam and picked one up from the garden centre last week, chopped it and put it straight in the ground. it has a fantastic radial spread and will make a powerful Shohin in a short time. Im running out of space on my balcony, i'd better just stick to shohin sized now, keeping my eyes peeled for a little Beech!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let me also add a very old, barky olive specimen with a wide base. Maybe sumo.

Annndddd a dwarf pomegranate.

Lynn E

Mame
Reaction score
A truly nice, older root over rock Japanese Black pine--I love my pines! Lynn

Top Bottom