Bonsai Bucket List

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Whats your price range? 2 to 4 hundred? Maybe I can help......
That is kind of you to offer Smoke! I'd say my wants outweigh my budget right now. With two kids, and a rental house in need of new tenants and some repair I am holding onto (or hemorrhaging) all the cash I have. Probably in the Spring I will be looking for something from my "wants" list again. (Not to mention the fact my wife has given me the "you are going to far" talk about my trees a few times lately... Probably need to sell/ give away a few trees before I go adding more!). If you have some or know somewhere to get some nice trees in a reasonable range like that I might get in touch with you in a few months?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A really nice Scots pine
A nice trident or Japanese maple with a nice trunk and without all the scars that my current one (trident) has - working on healing them the best I can
A nice shimpaku

Slowly trying to upgrade my collection in general with fewer, better trees.
Working with the ones I have to make them better.
Learn what the hell I am doing/have to do to accomplish the above objective.
Trying to keep what I have healthy and moving forward instead of being set back by fungus etc.

Kandoloh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A gnarly wisteria that flowers readily, a monster cedar elm, and maybe a Japanese maple with killer trunk movement and nebari, a fatty bald cypress, a 100 year old wild live oak that was stunted. That's all I could ever ask for.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Atm im wanting a Spruce, so much so that im going to a garden centre today to have a look for some raw material. a big Yew and European beech are also on my want list.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm.. Sounds like all my wishes are shared..

- Decent Root over rock trident (Cuttings were taken this year to have one in 25yrs)
- Good Informal upright Beech - got it, first styling 2014
- Fat Wisteria - Dug one this spring
- Decent Ittoigawa Juniper - Got it, refinement stage
- Mature formal upright larch - Got one, reworking from near-death experience with previous owner
- Mature, early spring Flowering Cherry or Almond
- Decent big malus
- Mature pine - These keep dying on me :(
- Nice big cascade, either juniper or fruiting/flowering species
- Mature refined feminine Acer Palmatum deshojo / shin-deshojo -> working on one, but bare stock

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Stonker trident with a killer nebari ala Judyb's "piggy"
shohin material of conifers and deciduous species good enough to create a 5 point display that would accepted into the national exhibition in Rochester.
The stands for the 5 point display mentioned above
A descent Tofukuji pot (or 3 or 4)
A largish rectangle antique Chinese pot in shudei clay with windows and cloud feet in pristine condition...kowatari era would be ideal but nakawatari would suffice.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Literati Japanese Red Pine, with bark and some twists:
image.jpg
Needle juniper import:
image.jpg

Triple trunk Chinese Quince:
image.jpg

True import yamadori Itoigawa with some twists:
image.jpg

Fat little ilex serrata:
image.jpg
Pretty much anything from the Shinpukuji Temple collection....
image.jpg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My list:
  1. Acer Palmatum Deshojo (chishio or shindeshojo) informal 3 inch thick. (Have a deshojo about 1 inch thick on a thickening regime).
  2. Large azaleas, around the 15-20 inch heigh, thick. (Started cuttings.... hahahah can't import them so I had to start by myself. I will get back to you in 20 years). Just started some satsuki kozan hybrid seeds and kakuo hybrid seeds, because there aren't any satsukis around.
  3. Wisteria. Got it, but needs nicer semi cascade pot and a whole revamp.
  4. Bunjin/literati pine.
  5. Shohin jbp. (have two year seedlings in the works).
  6. Large elms (got those).
  7. Gnarly hawthorn. Got a decent one, probably going on yamadori for a better one on sunday.
  8. Nice twisted shimpaku. I only have projects, that are very small right now.
  9. Large regular Acer Palmatum. Got it. But want to make one myself.
  10. Acer Palmatum clump.
  11. Prunus (could be japanese plum, or cherry or plum...) got a fairly large one that might be nice!
  12. Crabapple.
  13. Large twin trunk arakawa maple.
  14. Maple forest.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
A few things way up on my list: Kunio Kobayashi's JBPs. Lo Min Hsuan's Hackberries.

Other things: Japanese maple cascade, Trident maple cascade, Trident maple semicascade, JBP bunjin, JBP informal, yamadori style itoigawa, Shantung maple cascade, Japanese maple clump, Japanese maple informal, Japanese maple triple trunk, Japanese quince clump, Japanese quince cascade.

I really like the pine below by Kunio Kobayashi. I don't know what kind of it is. White pine/ goyamatsu?
n-bonsai-a-20150508-870x652.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I always wanted a cute little twisted mame conifer number...I acquired that recently. Still needs to fill in...but, I like the bones.

I would still like: (I'm thinking the three in this list...to be non-flowering. I think I've grown a bit to realize blooms are short lived)
1. Some sort of unique material in itself...to turn into a raft project.
2. A possible forest/penjing style...
3. a literati conifer of some sort...shohin size

Lastly...if I could ever find a really gnarly magnolia...that I could make into a cascade or something really unique. So unique...I'm in no rush to acquire one. But will let it find me...I'm waiting for the clouds to open up,and a ray of sun to beam down on it...and angels to sing. So...I may never have a magnolia. lol

I'm content to have what I have...and when something falls into my lap that will allow for the above possibilities that will be grand.

At this point...I'm in no rush to find any particular tree. I'm just enjoying developing what I have...which I consider to be 11 trees.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've been drooling over tiny fruit lately. I'd love to get my hands on a decent sized Princess Persimmon, and there's a Crabapple at work with a branch ripe for layering . . .

Edit: I'm adding that I would really like to experiment with the little Australian finger limes - Microcitrus . . .

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
A few things way up on my list: Kunio Kobayashi's JBPs. Lo Min Hsuan's Hackberries.

Other things: Japanese maple cascade, Trident maple cascade, Trident maple semicascade, JBP bunjin, JBP informal, yamadori style itoigawa, Shantung maple cascade, Japanese maple clump, Japanese maple informal, Japanese maple triple trunk, Japanese quince clump, Japanese quince cascade.

I really like the pine below by Kunio Kobayashi. I don't know what kind of it is. White pine/ goyamatsu?
View attachment 79737
Black pine, kuromatsu named "Blue Dragon". Very famous old tree, which won the Prime Minister's award in 1999 at the Sakufu-ten exhibition

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have a "must have" bucket list. A good trunk on a tree is a good trunk on a tree, be it a hackberry or a pine... I don't really go out looking for that "special" tree. I've found that sometimes the really good ones mostly find you and not vice versa.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dav4's JRP :oops::rolleyes::D
(but I at least have a cool JRP now, so not as much as before...)
+1 on the fat ilex, they had one at NEBG, that I couldn't afford, and used to drool over...
something cool and flowering, probably a crabapple or big cherry for a very nice pot I have - maybe a satsuki.
Scots pine!!! (wishing I had picked up that one from NEBG)
and the huge Cedar Elm that Don has on his site.
Some different sort of maple, not sure, maybe Katsura.
Kind of all I'm wishing for, got the ume that I've been looking for...

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
If I am being realistic about works in my climate

Big montezuma cypress (I'm growing one now)

Texas papershell pinyon YamadorI

Colorado pinyon Yamadori

Texas Madrone

If my current climate is not a restriction then list would change. Some kind of dwarf fir tree, hemlock. Coastal redwood.

Top Bottom