Bonsai by the Monestary in GA worth a visit?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have to be in Atlanta on Tuesday for work training. I was thinking about leaving early and hitting bonsai by the Monestary beforehand. Has anyone been out there that knows much about it? Would it be worth a visit and if so, how long should I schedule out before my training?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Where is your training? Monastery is about 30-40 minutes from the city. The monastery has a great selection of tools, pots, books, and accessories. The trees are also very nice but lately they have had no prebonsai type stuff. I go there for soil admendments often. The whole monastery grounds are very nice too. If you have time it is worth a trip.

If you have time I would recommend plant city bonsai if you want some cheaper stuff to play with. It is in North Georgia and at least 90 minutes from Atlanta so a much bigger haul. Says you are in Tennessee so it may be on your way as it is close to the border. They carry a lot prebonsai stuff and the owner is very friendly.

If I have to pick one then I would pick Plant City but both are nice for different reasons.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Monastery is worth a visit at least once. Even if it is only to see some of their own trees. Their selection of trees for sale is hit and miss but they do have a plenty of pots and other supplies. Last year they had a large collection of Japanese Maples that were for sale. They were an enthusiasts trees who was letting his collection go.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately, plant City is a bit out of my way for the route that I come to Atlanta. The Monestary is just a half hour from my training location so I'll be heading there. If nothing else, it looks like a nice place just to visit and take in ambiance.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Be sure to check hours of operation. Last time I was there, I think their hours were pretty short.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They're very responsive on messenger - techno monks! Looks like I'm in luck, they will be open regular hours and have some pre bonsai tropical stock and evidently a bunch of mountain maples. Should be a good time.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Open 10-5 Monday through Saturday.
Take the tour of the museum. It doesn't take long and it is interesting.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks to cheap_walmart_art and coachspinks.
I will have to check that out the next time I get up into the big A.
I learn something new about my state all the time and I've been living here all my life.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have to be in Atlanta on Tuesday for work training. I was thinking about leaving early and hitting bonsai by the Monestary beforehand. Has anyone been out there that knows much about it? Would it be worth a visit and if so, how long should I schedule out before my training?
Please let us know what they have in stock plant wise. I am thinking of heading over Friday

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Loved my visit to Bonsai by the Monestary. The location and the grounds really gave me a different feel than most bonsai places that I have visited.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please let us know what they have in stock plant wise. I am thinking of heading over Friday

They have a collection of a few dozen finished trees, looks like some mountain maple, few Chinese elms, a BC or two - all heeled in and she said starting around $400 and up. Good looking mature stuff. IMG_20190219_110919.jpgIMG_20190219_105826.jpg

They also had some finished junipers and boxwoods, pricing all over the place.

IMG_20190219_111127.jpgIMG_20190219_111114.jpgIMG_20190219_110049.jpg

As far as prebondai they had some $20 hinoki saplings in nursery pots and some nice tropicals - one rooty serissa I would have bought if I didn't have to leave it in a cold car for several hours. I walked away with some pots and some of the putty style cut paste.

Attachments

• IMG_20190219_104951.jpg
    IMG_20190219_104951.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 33

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I assume you're not interested in Brussel's?

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They have a collection of a few dozen finished trees, looks like some mountain maple, few Chinese elms, a BC or two - all heeled in and she said starting around $400 and up. Good looking mature stuff. View attachment 228164View attachment 228165

They also had some finished junipers and boxwoods, pricing all over the place.

View attachment 228167View attachment 228168View attachment 228169

As far as prebondai they had some $20 hinoki saplings in nursery pots and some nice tropicals - one rooty serissa I would have bought if I didn't have to leave it in a cold car for several hours. I walked away with some pots and some of the putty style cut paste.
Did you get a chance to see any of their own collection? These are trees that Brother Paul styled in the several decades ago.

Top Bottom