Bonsai care and coloring.

Texas1986

Seed
Reaction score
I bought these bonsai trees about a year ago and they are starting to turn brown... I read and watch videos on bonsai and they are all different. Water alot, don't water alot, lots of sun no sun etc. What do these need ?
20160509_145105.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol...

A match!

Welcome to Crazy....

I killed I think 3-6 Junipers this winter/spring!

Sorce

Texas1986

Seed
Reaction score
Is there a bonsai good for indoors ?
Gets up in the 100°s here I'm usually working 12-14 hours a day. I don't think they would get enough water outside while I'm gone lol

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ficus, shefflera, there are tropicals that can handle indoors. You may need a light for them.. But theyre happier outside when possible.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yep, those juniper are certainly dead. Don't keep any temperate deciduous or coniferous species indoors for significant lengths of time.

I agree, tropical or a few subtropical species could do well for you in that seemingly very well lit indoor location. A ficus, in good quality "bonsai" potting media/mix should do well, as sorce said and is an excellent beginner tree. Species like Ficus nerifolia and Ficus benjamina, "Green Island" Ficus, just to name a few of MANY. Schefflera arboricola is as easy as the commonly used ficus, and easily produces aerial roots that extend to the soil line. If you want something a bit more advanced, try a buttonwood (Conocarpus erectus). The latter tropical species prefers full sun.

Depending on where you are located in Texas, you may be able to keep tropical species outside 8-9 months out of the year.

If you must have a juniper, grow it outside, in full/almost full sun and keep evenly moist, not wet and never allow to completely dry out. This can actually be a challenge long-term, because all it takes is once, and the tree is gone.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What they need is to be put in the compost pile.

Then go and get yourself a ficus. Or a Schefflera. Or a Portucalaria Afra (Mini Jade)

Then read some more.

It's ok to kill your trees when you're learning. really.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Like Sorce, I've killed a couple of junipers. They really are my bogey tree!

In Fort Lauderdale it's not a real surprise, junipers are tough to handle in this kind of climate.

@Texas1986 : normally trees want to be outside so (unless you try some tropical inside as suggested above) go for local trees, take care of the direct sun and they should be fine are they are from here.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have that branch coloring (not so widespread)on my Juniper (nana) that came from a nursery like that, but the needles are still soft and the branch growth is really slow like it may be stunted I dunno!o_OShipped from Dallas Bonsai, I've had it a month or so and the needles are still soft:)If they ever get long enough I'd try and wire em :rolleyes:

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
In Fort Lauderdale it's not a real surprise, junipers are tough to handle in this kind of climate.

@Texas1986 : normally trees want to be outside so (unless you try some tropical inside as suggested above) go for local trees, take care of the direct sun and they should be fine are they are from here.

The salt water and air can't be good for them either. I've seen some real nice developed ones at nurseries, mainly down near Homestead, but I think Junipers just aren't in my near future.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The salt water and air can't be good for them either. I've seen some real nice developed ones at nurseries, mainly down near Homestead, but I think Junipers just aren't in my near future.

I went to a nursery (Dragon tree bonsai in Palm city, I highly recommend it btw) last time I was in Miami, he had junipers but told me it was really a mess to grow in this climate, I can believe that, mine are never greener than when it's freezing cold outside.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I went to a nursery (Dragon tree bonsai in Palm city, I highly recommend it btw) last time I was in Miami, he had junipers but told me it was really a mess to grow in this climate, I can believe that, mine are never greener than when it's freezing cold outside.
I may have to go up there, it's about an hour and a half north. There's a really nice nursery south of me in Homestead, great prices and the stock looks really healthy. But no BRTs, at least none that I seen.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I may have to go up there, it's about an hour and a half north. There's a really nice nursery south of me in Homestead, great prices and the stock looks really healthy. But no BRTs, at least none that I seen.

Yep, see my answer on the BRT post ;)

He also has a ficus tiger bark which exploded its pot and totally swallowed the concrete wall it is sitting on with its roots...
You Southerners are such cheater when it comes to grow stuff! :p

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Yep, see my answer on the BRT post ;)

He also has a ficus tiger bark which exploded its pot and totally swallowed the concrete wall it is sitting on with its roots...
You Southerners are such cheater when it comes to grow stuff! :p

Gotta admit, the growing conditions are fantastic down here.

Top Bottom