bonsai cercis

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a bonsai Cercis,so I was wondering if anyone had and clear photo's of Cercis as bonsai:)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've tried acoouple of times, but could not get much leaf reduction.

Try Google Images.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would give them a shot if they grow well in your climate.... beautiful trees.... treat them like ume from the design standpoint of growing them more for the early flowers than for the foliage... surprised that I can't find one as bonsai (most of the pictures are mislabeled satsuki)... there may be pot culture problems or lots of winter dieback etc...

give it a shot.... would be a beautiful tree to see as bonsai... if it doesn't work out... you can always try a prunus

ever123

Seed
Reaction score
I also tried some time but could not get it.

Reaction score
thanks for your replies.I work in a tree nursery in the Hawkes Bay,New Zealand.From seed,I can get Cercis to grow like weeds and we only use a certain amount of seedlings to grow on.They into some really random shapes,just thought that they would be an interesting bonsai.I shall endeavour to see how things develop :)

txbonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a couple of Cercis started as Bonsai, this one being about 15 years old. Thought I'd share...
BTW.. I've never had flowers on mine while potted in a Bonsai pot. The leaves do reduce nicely and will be very small heart-shaped, dollar-coin sized. I don't have a pic of it in smaller leaves, but since they're temporary each year (dropping in the fall), I don't worry too much about them.
Joey
Austin, Tx
Cercis canadensis, Redbud 1 (2010 6-7).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom