Bonsai choice for partial shade

jorge.lazo

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi,

I live in a north facing apartment, which means the interior and balcony of my place gets lots of bright but indirect light throughout the day. While I have great success growing shade loving/resistant plants such as calatheas, philodendrons, pink lilies, hostas, etc. I was wondering what are my options if I want to get into bonsai (outdoor options is fine)?

My hardiness zone is 8a and moderately high humidity year round (usually 65%+) if that matters.

From what I can research, nearly all species used for bonsai like full sun (or at least some hours of direct sunlight) which I cannot provide. I do have a jade tree that is quite happy (although this is a Crassula Ovata, not the p. Afra which I don't know if it would grow in this environment as a bonsai).

Any species suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome!
I spent a few years living just under you in Washington state. Sunlight can be a precious commodity in that region!

The first rule of choosing a tree for bonsai is there are no rules. If it grows well in a pot in your conditions, is woody, and can be worked, it can be a bonsai. Any other restrictions are up to the maker's personal preferences. My first suggestion would be to get out in the woods, find out what grows on the north face of a steep hill or mountain in your area. It will almost certainly grow on your balcony too.

Otherwise, I'm not so knowledgeable at indoor/tropicals as others here, but for outdoor in a shady area, european juniper varieties are often adaptable to outdoor shade, thought never try to keep one indoors without a heck of a grow light setup.

jorge.lazo

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the suggestions!

would any variety of Japanese maples work? I have seen some laceleaf Japanese maples around my area (sometimes in shade) but I don't know if they withstand shade better than the regular variety of Japanese maples

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, you could try out many types of small Maples cultivars outside on your balcony.

Most of these smaller maples can stand the amount of shade you describe given you have a cultivar suited for your zone.

jfyi Balconies can be much drier than gardens. So please keep that in mind.

Finally. I would plan that you can provide for good protection for the winter winds and cold temperatures.

Cheers
DSD sends

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the winter protection necessary for you would be no more than a 4-sided box that would protect from drying winds and still allow rain to wet the plant. The roots should not see under -4°C.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think the winter protection necessary for you would be no more than a 4-sided box that would protect from drying winds and still allow rain to wet the plant. The roots should not see under -4°C.
Agree, zone 8 could handle wintering on a balcony I would imagine.

I'm surprised Canada has a zone 8. I always thought it a frigid place for winter. But alas...I don't know everything.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think maples would be pretty happy with what you are describing as your climate. Hornbeams are also understory types, you could probably do those as well. Many shrubs make wonderful bonsai, take a look at what has small leaves, and good flowers in your area. I would think satsuki would be quite happy for you too.

jorge.lazo

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll see what I can find to work with :)

I'm surprised Canada has a zone 8. I always thought it a frigid place for winter. But alas...I don't know everything.

The Pacific North West is very consistently temperate weather, BC is very much an extension of Washington State going north, with lots of rain instead of snow, and barely freezing temperature in the winter

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Contact Anton Niehuis on Vancouver Is. He collects many trees and could help out very well.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Also be sure to reach out to Frank Corrigan... (@River's Edge) of Rivers Edge Bonsai on Vancouver Is

Frank just wrote an excellent article in Bonsai, the Journal of the ABA on propagation of Prunus mume by hardwood cuttings. The backstory is featured on this site.

I can’t wait until next fall to try out his technique!

Cheers
DSD sends

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard. Nice to see another left coast Canuck show up. 😊

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It would be good to watch and time the light on a sunny day to get an exact number of direct or indirect light. Place a marker where you want to put the tree and stopwatch from shadow to shadow.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi,

I live in a north facing apartment, which means the interior and balcony of my place gets lots of bright but indirect light throughout the day. While I have great success growing shade loving/resistant plants such as calatheas, philodendrons, pink lilies, hostas, etc. I was wondering what are my options if I want to get into bonsai (outdoor options is fine)?

My hardiness zone is 8a and moderately high humidity year round (usually 65%+) if that matters.

From what I can research, nearly all species used for bonsai like full sun (or at least some hours of direct sunlight) which I cannot provide. I do have a jade tree that is quite happy (although this is a Crassula Ovata, not the p. Afra which I don't know if it would grow in this environment as a bonsai).

Any species suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Locations on the mainland and also Vancouver Island can vary significantly!
My location is further south than Anton,s on the island and stays warmer. I have had no difficulty raising Japanese maples in my nursery. Whereas the Campbell River Club had difficulty with tridents and other types of Japanese maples in their location. Also, my location is a bit of a microclimate with less rain, more sunshine and warmer temperatures than friends that live on the mountain slopes in Vancouver, on the mainland! One main factor seems to be the elevation of your location.
There are at least nine active clubs in the Vancouver area, depending on your specific location you should consult the one closest to you. If you pm me I will pass on contact information for you. Alternatively you can check out the PNBCA website for club contact information in the Pacific Northwest.
In short, I would be careful with advice given from those not familiar with your specific location.

Igor. T. Ljubek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spruce, yew and European beech (not sure about American one). Also field maple, some varieties of Japanese maples, European hornbeam ... All these species can grow in full sun, but they tolerate partial shade as well.

Top Bottom