Bonsai Club How-To?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, there are no clubs near me, though there are within traveling distance. I just don't have the capacity to make a two to three hour drive every month just for fun.
I know others have stated similar problems with joining a club/society, as well as finding organizations they don't feel are a match for them. In some cases, it may just be that we don't know there's already something going on in our area, or how to seek out local bonsai people who may not be in the usual online places.

So, I thought a thread discussing the ins-and-outs of getting a new club, or chapter of an existing club, started in your area would be of interest.
I have no clue where to begin myself, which is why I started the conversation.

I'll start us off by going over some of the barriers I've run into.
I know there bonsai people (Really, is there a word for people who do bonsai?) in the area because the local ma and pop garden shop sells pots, and they carry more and more of them every year. And not just bonsai suitable pots for other uses- they have lots of pot of all sorts- but very clearly and boldly labeled as bonsai in their own section on the selves. Another similar shop an hour drive away also carries pots, and the junky mass produced dead junipers, as well as really crappy premade "bonsai soil." These shops obviously know nothing about bonsai (no, really, I understand it better, and that's saying something), but just by looking at what the local specialty shops are selling, I can say that there is growing interest in bonsai in the region.
But if that market isn't on here, and I'm not on Facebook, how do we find each other?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Join Facebook. 😏
But then I'd have to be on Facebook 😝🤢🤮

I've actually been trying to find out exactly what the county fair has going on for potted plant divisions. They've done them in the past, but I can't find anything on exactly what's happening this year yet. I figure if there's someone doing bonsai in the area, they might be in to other potted plant artistry too.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ask the nearby mom and pop garden shop if you might use their place for a club base, meeting site, etc. Think about the details of holding an initial "meeting" like on a spring Saturday morning for an hour... Put up signs etc. about the meeting to publicize. See who shows up.

The mom and pop shop would benefit in selling stuff to get people started. I've seen this a few times at local greenhouses, nurseries. It can draw two or thre or even a dozen or more people, depending.

This leaves you in charge. I wouldn't be too concerned about "not knowing" stuff. Your club is obviously going to be all beginners. You can teach what you know, travel to other meetings in carpools, do collecting locally, etc. There is strength in numbers and simple gumption...gotta start somewhere.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm in the Maryland Bonsai Association and we have our meetings at the Masonic Hall and at the public library. The hall charges a small fee, but the library is free. Just something to consider.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ask the nearby mom and pop garden shop if you might use their place for a club base, meeting site, etc. Think about the details of holding an initial "meeting" like on a spring Saturday morning for an hour... Put up signs etc. about the meeting to publicize. See who shows up.

The mom and pop shop would benefit in selling stuff to get people started. I've seen this a few times at local greenhouses, nurseries. It can draw two or thre or even a dozen or more people, depending.

This leaves you in charge. I wouldn't be too concerned about "not knowing" stuff. Your club is obviously going to be all beginners. You can teach what you know, travel to other meetings in carpools, do collecting locally, etc. There is strength in numbers and simple gumption...gotta start somewhere.
I've been considering this actually. They don't have a whole lot of space at the shop, but I imagine for the extra business, or even to test the idea of adding event hosting to their business, they'd likely find a place.

I have a student or two at work who have shown interest, and a couple regulars at my recovery group as well, so I could potentially get a fistful of folks in on it right off the bat.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've actually been trying to find out exactly what the county fair has going on for potted plant divisions. They've done them in the past, but I can't find anything on exactly what's happening this year yet. I figure if there's someone doing bonsai in the area, they might be in to other potted plant artistry too.
We use the local fairs to promote bonsai and attract new members. Your fair horticulture organizers may consider adding one or more classes for bonsai if you promise to provide initial entries. Many local fairs down here are struggling to get entries. They may be open to providing a space to put up a non competitive display and/or demonstrations through the day/weekend/week. You can spend the time talking an assess if there's any interest in starting a local group.
Bonsai groups do not have to be structured or formal. We've had several with no committee, no fees, no laws, etc. Just some friends who meet regularly to talk and do bonsai. Often at homes of the members but otherwise a public place. groups like this usually need or 2 committed people to drive it and keep the ball rolling.
many bonsai clubs started out as a part of another garden related organization - local garden club, horticultural society, etc. Check local groups to see if any are interested or have existing bonsai growing members. Most groups are usually on the look out for people with any sort of horticultural experience to demonstrate or talk at a meeting. You don't need to know much about bonsai to know more than most general gardeners.

Good luck with getting something off the ground.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really not that difficult . I joined the Ottawa bonsai society when I started . At that time the OBS was in a transition. Several founding members . Had moved away and a few past away . There was very few left . And a discussion of closing shop . My first meeting . Once a few decided. To continue . It was not that difficult . Cultural dept of local newspaper advertised us for free . Acquired meeting space . From national arboretum for free . Garden Center happily hosted a demo . When we had no place for a annual show . I went to the Japanese government and talked them into letting us hold a show . At there embassy . Bingo reborn .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really not that difficult . I joined the Ottawa bonsai society when I started . At that time the OBS was in a transition. Several founding members . Had moved away and a few past away . There was very few left . And a discussion of closing shop . My first meeting . Once a few decided. To continue . It was not that difficult . Cultural dept of local newspaper advertised us for free . Acquired meeting space . From national arboretum for free . Garden Center happily hosted a demo . When we had no place for a annual show . I went to the Japanese government and talked them into letting us hold a show . At there embassy . Bingo reborn .

Did you spill syrup on your screen's "." location? Lol.

Lick it!

Monthly text induced Tourette's?

Sorce

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ShadyStump I’m in the same boat. There is a club an hour away but I don’t have time for that, I thought about starting one as well. We have a farmers market I thought about going to or flea market, I actually have some trees to sell. Anywho, I’m basically learning on my own watching YouTube and reading here. Bonsai is an art and and the end of the day I’m the one that has to be happy with my trees.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@ShadyStump I’m in the same boat. There is a club an hour away but I don’t have time for that, I thought about starting one as well. We have a farmers market I thought about going to or flea market, I actually have some trees to sell. Anywho, I’m basically learning on my own watching YouTube and reading here. Bonsai is an art and and the end of the day I’m the one that has to be happy with my trees.
I understand this.
I'm looking for a bigger conversation for everyone's sake. Sharing ideas and experiences. I'd love to have friends in my area to share bonsai with, in person, and I know others feel the same way. BNut is awesome, but there's no replacement for neighbors.
We use the local fairs to promote bonsai and attract new members. Your fair horticulture organizers may consider adding one or more classes for bonsai if you promise to provide initial entries. Many local fairs down here are struggling to get entries. They may be open to providing a space to put up a non competitive display and/or demonstrations through the day/weekend/week. You can spend the time talking an assess if there's any interest in starting a local group.
Bonsai groups do not have to be structured or formal. We've had several with no committee, no fees, no laws, etc. Just some friends who meet regularly to talk and do bonsai. Often at homes of the members but otherwise a public place. groups like this usually need or 2 committed people to drive it and keep the ball rolling.
many bonsai clubs started out as a part of another garden related organization - local garden club, horticultural society, etc. Check local groups to see if any are interested or have existing bonsai growing members. Most groups are usually on the look out for people with any sort of horticultural experience to demonstrate or talk at a meeting. You don't need to know much about bonsai to know more than most general gardeners.

Good luck with getting something off the ground.
Gardening and horticultural clubs is one I hadn't really delved into yet. I know the places to ask around town, too.
Something more informal is really what I'm personally looking for, so branching off an existing group or two would work great.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bonsai groups do not have to be structured or formal. We've had several with no committee, no fees, no laws, etc. Just some friends who meet regularly to talk and do bonsai. Often at homes of the members but otherwise a public place.
@ShadyStump
This is great point and rather than try to start a formal club, you might consider calling it a Bonsai Study Group. If you can advertise at the local garden stores you might find people that would want to meet up in a park or other free venue to break the ice, talk and look at trees. If you manage to find a few link minded people who want to increase their skills you might even be able to work with the further away club to coordinate artist visits or experienced members to visit your study group. My local club started as a loose group that would get together for workshops by John Naka when he was passing through to teach at a club further north.

You might also be able to contact the distant club to see if they have members in your area and would pass along your contact info for a meet up.

You could also put a post here just make sure there isn’t another Nutter in your backyard!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In the broader context of “How to” a bonsai club. I found this Milwaukee newsletter insightful on their review of club engagement and education.

http://www.milwaukeebonsai.org/Newsletters/MBS202202news.pdf

I couldn’t paste the text here, so in case the link dies, I’ll summarize it.

They have beginner workshops, novice classes, intermediate classes, ad hoc workshops (visiting professionals), and educational programs at monthly meetings. They concluded that little else is offered to new members after the beginner workshop. That novice classes have a class size limit that only allows 30% of beginner workshop attendees a chance to increase skills in the same year. Intermediate class sizes are also only available to a small percentage. And based on meeting attendance, program material only reaches 32% of their membership. Their solution is to create more content and digital content that can be accessed by more members. Along with increased educational elements for the meetings and skills criteria for class levels.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In the broader context of “How to” a bonsai club. I found this Milwaukee newsletter insightful on their review of club engagement and education.

http://www.milwaukeebonsai.org/Newsletters/MBS202202news.pdf

I couldn’t paste the text here, so in case the link dies, I’ll summarize it.

They have beginner workshops, novice classes, intermediate classes, ad hoc workshops (visiting professionals), and educational programs at monthly meetings. They concluded that little else is offered to new members after the beginner workshop. That novice classes have a class size limit that only allows 30% of beginner workshop attendees a chance to increase skills in the same year. Intermediate class sizes are also only available to a small percentage. And based on meeting attendance, program material only reaches 32% of their membership. Their solution is to create more content and digital content that can be accessed by more members. Along with increased educational elements for the meetings and skills criteria for class levels.
This is the sort of nerdy stuff I went to college for.
I do think the class level criteria thing could get awfully arbitrary if you're not careful. I wonder how they did it in the end.
I'll have to give this a closer read over the weekend.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there a local library or a community center that might have a room you can use?

My club uses a local village community center for its meetings.
The only requirement we have is we have to have an insurance policy in case someone gets hurt at a meeting.
That is really the only obstacle you might face, needing some type of thing like that.
A local library might be more amenable for it though, but you would have to ask

Top Bottom