Bonsai club members who put problem trees in club auctions

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Auctions are great for the club and everyone. The auctioneers should be very knowledgeable and accurately and completely describe the item up for bid. (and the seller should attach information as well) We are fortunate in our club that this is the way newcomers know what they are getting and the more experience are advising them.

AND remember one persons trash is another's treasure. Many time one person just runs out of ideas or does not have adequate time, lots of good reasons to place n the clubs auction.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't have a problem with people selling problem trees. What I have a problem with is people misrepresenting what they are selling :) I was responding to the OP's comment that one of the trees had a hidden failed thread graft - so basically a hole drilled right through the tree. If I were selling the tree I would simply put out a little sign saying "failed thread graft in trunk" and feel like I was giving full disclosure. I think that having a "damaged" tree is very different from having natural material that just has many natural flaws.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think there is some confusion here. Are these trees being sold? or are they being donated for an auction with proceeds to go to the club. I think that is the difference in people's attitudes with how much info they are providing on the material.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have a problem with people selling problem trees. What I have a problem with is people misrepresenting what they are selling :) I was responding to the OP's comment that one of the trees had a hidden failed thread graft - so basically a hole drilled right through the tree. If I were selling the tree I would simply put out a little sign saying "failed thread graft in trunk" and feel like I was giving full disclosure. I think that having a "damaged" tree is very different from having natural material that just has many natural flaws.
To be fair, though, failed thread grafts don't usually wind up destroying that much trunk. It's quite possible the person who put the tree in the auction had no idea the damage was so extensive. If he/she did, then maybe a note should have been added.

I've got some really good trees (well, relatively speaking) for almost nothing at club sales and auctions.

I would never put a tree into an auction if I knew there was a major hidden problem, such as a failing root system, bacterial/fungal infection, etc. If I purchased a tree that had that type of problem, I'd probably talk to the club or the person who originally owned the tree. People shouldn't be doing that. But the tree in question here, I don't know...sometimes when you take a chance on a "deal", it doesn't turn out as you hoped. It's a "deal" for a reason. And as someone mentioned previously, this may turn out for the best anyway, as that tree had a rather poor middle trunk section.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've found that older members of my group have a tendency to step in when they see a new person looking closely at an auction/sale tree. they use it as a "teachable moment" asking things like "what do you like about that tree?" and maybe mentioning things like "that scar won't go away for a long time" At least help complete noobs realize what they are in for. Some people really just want species x in their collection, or to use a tree for cuttings or whatever.
As long as it goes for a realistic price I don't really have an issue. Plus, imagine being able to come to a show with a very nice tree and be able to say "Remember that crappy juniper I bought from you 6 years ago? Check it out now!"

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Diseased trees or infested trees are not allowed in our clubs auction. People check your tree when you come in, if they see any hint of a problem, out it goes.

Our club auction is part fundraiser for the club 15% of the proceeds go to the club. Otherwise it is a chance for people to get rid of excess trees. The more refined your trees get the more time they take and you have to get rid of some. I collect 5-8 trees a year and buy a couple. I try to get rid of my bottom 10 trees every year. They are still nice for someone, but I'm ready to move on.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Before I get started on the ethics concomitant with "government towns" which Sacramento is, I will leave this thread FOR GOOD this time with the commitment to never do another auction.
The gal who drilled it was rather reluctant to hang around and discuss the tree.

The auction was ...sorta... a "rush job."
I expected more ethics because I forgot the reputation of Sacramento.

As a retired pawnbroker, I ...SHOULD.... recognize what is going on from general demeanor.
I usually am.

No more auction for me.
This was my first and I got 2 sour grapes. AND... I accept my share of the blame in it.

I did get a pretty nice boxwood that should turn into quite a nice tree.

Went to the convention this past weekend and got a REALLY nice juniper.

Will pot it up in spring and go forward from there.

Auctions are probably VERY variable and I have seen posts that restore my faith in MOST people.

Not HERE though.

Adios and good fortune to all.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before I get started on the ethics concomitant with "government towns" which Sacramento is, I will leave this thread FOR GOOD this time with the commitment to never do another auction.
The gal who drilled it was rather reluctant to hang around and discuss the tree.

The auction was ...sorta... a "rush job."
I expected more ethics because I forgot the reputation of Sacramento.

As a retired pawnbroker, I ...SHOULD.... recognize what is going on from general demeanor.
I usually am.

No more auction for me.
This was my first and I got 2 sour grapes. AND... I accept my share of the blame in it.

I did get a pretty nice boxwood that should turn into quite a nice tree.

Went to the convention this past weekend and got a REALLY nice juniper.

Will pot it up in spring and go forward from there.

Auctions are probably VERY variable and I have seen posts that restore my faith in MOST people.

Not HERE though.

Adios and good fortune to all.

I'm sorry for your bad experience, I hope your boxwood turns out well and in the end maybe your other trees will surprise you.

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
I know I've come in late on this thread and while I have read it several times; your behaviour has left me a little confused as to why your so upset.

I would like to point out that none of the wounds you have pointed to are disastrous, certainly no worse than field grown chop scars. The drill holes can be easily cleaned up with a sharp wood chisel, the hole/crater filled with car panel filler, smoothed off and left to heal like any other wound. Purchasing anything at auction is buyer beware, it takes a lot of acquired skill to spot faults in the brief time alloted prior to the auction. I myself have been diddled at auctions and other times scored an absolute bargain.

What you need to develop is patience with bonsai and a good working knowledge of how to fix problems. If you look at the auction as a rip off you will always be left feeling miserable. Acting like a child because you felt ripped off isn't going to improve your bonsai experience, or anyone elses.

Your expectations are unrealistic. The finished pine you posted would have had at least a hundred years of professional care to get to that stage of development. Its not something that will be achieved in your lifetime, so take the pressure of yourself.

Paul

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Addendum:

This week at the club meeting it was bring a tree that needs help for advice night.

Someone brought a Japanese Maple that looked a LOT like this pic.

CONSENSUS.....after audience being asked what THEY would do was......

PUT IT IN THE AUCTION!
Really, overwhelmingly in favor of selling the mess trees to members.
Maybe 2 or 3 ...suggestions... to air layer or otherwise TRY to do SOMETHING with it.
But MOST said to put it in the ...auction.

:(may pull.jpg

Top Bottom