Bonsai collections or gardens in Southern California?

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Going to Southern California for vacation this year looking for some Bandai related activities or gardens any suggestions? Thanks sean

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thanks for the info, we’re going to be in Los Angeles for a few days and San Diego for a couple days

jdcott

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here are two-both are Japanese gardens with a pretty good amount of bonsai on display at different places in the garden. The first is about 20 miles south of LA on the UCLB campus, the second is part of Balboa Park in San Diego. Bring comfy shoes for the San Diego one, as it's pretty big as has some downhill;l!
http://web.csulb.edu/~jgarden/aboutus/aboutus.html
https://www.balboapark.org/gardens/japanese-friendship-garden
Thank you they both look interesting

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Huntington is probably bigger than the others put together :) It is definitely a full-day adventure if you stay to see all the gardens as well as the museums and the library.

Also in San Diego, there is a nice (albeit not very extensive) bonsai pavilion within the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

https://www.sdzsafaripark.org/world-gardens

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What the hell. Despite living in Long Beach for 10 years and going to CSULB I have never heard of any Japanese Gardens. I still live very close so I will have to check this out and report back.
When I want to look at trees I stop by House of Bonsai in Lakewood, or Chikugo-En Nursery in Torrance. These places are not gardens but are good for a quick stop.

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The Huntington is probably bigger than the others put together :) It is definitely a full-day adventure if you stay to see all the gardens as well as the museums and the library.

Also in San Diego, there is a nice (albeit not very extensive) bonsai pavilion within the San Diego Wild Animal Park.

https://www.sdzsafaripark.org/world-gardens
The Huntington looks neat , I’ll have my wife and 9 year old daughter with me.they like bonsai but are more into gardens in general, so it’s always nice to find places with everything

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Huntington looks neat , I’ll have my wife and 9 year old daughter with me.they like bonsai but are more into gardens in general, so it’s always nice to find places with everything

The Huntington is a must! Then when your family is wiped from a day of walking sneak out to Kimura Bonsai and Fuji Bonsai nurseries!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have it on good authority, that if pressed for time it’s possible to run through this in approximately an hour. ?
But I’d give it a day if you have it. Amazing place!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have it on good authority, that if pressed for time it’s possible to run through this in approximately an hour. ?
But I’d give it a day if you have it. Amazing place!

I was talking to Peter about your visit, and how you had asked if we could swing by. He said definitely next time! But we need more than 15 minutes of warning :)

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The Huntington is a must! Then when your family is wiped from a day of walking sneak out to Kimura Bonsai and Fuji Bonsai nurseries!
Yeah I want to try to check those out too!

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll be in the area in June, so I'll need to refer back to this thread.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The Japanese Friendship Garden in Balboa Park, San Diego, now has a banner at their website saying their 200 cherry trees are budding. They have scheduled their Cherry Blossom Festival for the middle of March. Check it out.:)

Top Bottom