Bonsai design principles book suggestions?

Gori

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everybody

I have had/seen a few bonsai books and primary topics they cover typically are: the history, purchasing, care, styles, techniques, displaying, diseases, suitable trees etc. It happened so that no books I've seen so far, cover the topic of, I would call it, bonsai design principles. By this term in this case I primarily mean the tree structure and the main "classic" proportions/ratios of each style (where applicable). I have seen some pieces of such information in different sources. For example, bonsaiempire site style page may provide some very basic information I am looking for, like for Formal upright: trunk thickness, the height at which branching begins, the tree top structure. I recall some other guidelines like having the first two biggest branches on sides and the third one should point to the back. Another one is a schema showing how the tip of the trunk, one top end of the pot and the opposite lowest end of the trunk should form a triangle. But so far I did not see a good book or other resource that would be more detailed in this area.

One book mentioned multiple times on this forum is Principles of Bonsai Design by David De Groot -- would that book have the information I am looking for? Any other resources can be suggested?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Serge

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everybody

I have had/seen a few bonsai books and primary topics they cover typically are: the history, purchasing, care, styles, techniques, displaying, diseases, suitable trees etc. It happened so that no books I've seen so far, cover the topic of, I would call it, bonsai design principles. By this term in this case I primarily mean the tree structure and the main "classic" proportions/ratios of each style (where applicable). I have seen some pieces of such information in different sources. For example, bonsaiempire site style page may provide some very basic information I am looking for, like for Formal upright: trunk thickness, the height at which branching begins, the tree top structure. I recall some other guidelines like having the first two biggest branches on sides and the third one should point to the back. Another one is a schema showing how the tip of the trunk, one top end of the pot and the opposite lowest end of the trunk should form a triangle. But so far I did not see a good book or other resource that would be more detailed in this area.

One book mentioned multiple times on this forum is Principles of Bonsai Design by David De Groot -- would that book have the information I am looking for? Any other resources can be suggested?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Serge
Yes along with Bonsai Aesthetics by Francois Jeker. John Naka 1 and 2.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
David DeGroot’s book is the best “modern” book on design in my opinion.

It goes in-depth into why perspective/distance/proportion etc. make a difference in design for bonsai, as well as ratios etc.

Worth every penny!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And you can get it for $35 with free delivery from Stone Lantern.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I don't think a book can help.

Question is.....

Which comes first?

Structure or design?

Do you sacrifice design for structure, or structure for design?

Sorce

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes along with Bonsai Aesthetics by Francois Jeker. John Naka 1 and 2.
I second the John Naka books. That's what myself and my son started with when we started with our sensei Vance Hanna 12-13 years ago...
@Traken thanks for the tip. Will buy the DeGroot book today myself!

Gori

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks everybody. Those Stone Lantern deals look pretty attractive.

Last edited:

Gori

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Matt H.

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
[QUOTE="sorce, post: 676781, member:

Question is.....

Which comes first?

Structure or design?

Do you sacrifice design for structure, or structure for design?

Sorce
[/QUOTE]

Ah, form versus function. The trick is to have both. The chicken and the egg...

Top Bottom