Bonsai Display Shikishikake

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score

I did not make this display....but the bonsai artist contacted and asked me to make a scroll for their display.
I said how long do I have....their answer a week and a half. Just so you know, I am usually out at least a month and a half
closer to two months. But because this B-nut is so nice to me I had to do it.
The customer wanted it more narrow, which I agree would have been better, but the print shop company
was not being very cooperative.

This scroll is about 18" long by 8" wide. It is two dandelions with the seeds blowing in the wind.
To go with an early summer theme, I used the lightest khaki I had. This is a Shike style cloth.
To soften the border a little, I used the blue strips (suji) down the side to create a minchou hyougu style scroll.
It is still an informal style, but the suji gives it a little more formality. It is finished with an antique machined wood
jikusaki that has no lacquer and the kodai san iro hanging string.

Thanks for letting me be a part of your project.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 250413

I did not make this display....but the bonsai artist contacted and asked me to make a scroll for their display.
I said how long do I have....their answer a week and a half. Just so you know, I am usually out at least a month and a half
closer to two months. But because this B-nut is so nice to me I had to do it.
The customer wanted it more narrow, which I agree would have been better, but the print shop company
was not being very cooperative.

This scroll is about 18" long by 8" wide. It is two dandelions with the seeds blowing in the wind.
To go with an early summer theme, I used the lightest khaki I had. This is a Shike style cloth.
To soften the border a little, I used the blue strips (suji) down the side to create a minchou hyougu style scroll.
It is still an informal style, but the suji gives it a little more formality. It is finished with an antique machined wood
jikusaki that has no lacquer and the kodai san iro hanging string.

Thanks for letting me be a part of your project.
This turned out pretty perfectly. The size was really quite nice for the display, as they gave me a whole table and I was able to spread out the elements. If this had not been the case it would have been less effective. I was very pleased with the result and the quality of the work was excellent, and did not reflect the small amount of time that was given to you to complete this project. And I want everyone to know that not only this scroll was made, but a second larger one, with a different backing cloth was also made and sent to me. An unexpected bonus, and it is really stunning. The only critique I was given was that the string is only made for wrapping the scroll and wire is used to hang. I saw several others who used the string as well, and it looked much nicer than the wire in my opinion. I hope that you are as happy with the results as I am. Next time I'll give you a proper timeframe to work with!
Thank you so much for your talent and working with me in not ideal conditions. -J

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I first got interested in bonsai, I had absolutely no idea the complexity of a display like this. I thought you put some trees on a stand, accent and maybe a scroll and voila, shohin display. I was fortunate enough to get to see this display coming together at one point. The choice of trees, direction of trees, pot shape,size and color as well as accents were all explained to me. How a story is being told. When I saw the scroll in the pic of this display, I saw how it tied it all together. My appreciation for the art is a little deeper with everything I learn.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This turned out pretty perfectly. The size was really quite nice for the display, as they gave me a whole table and I was able to spread out the elements. If this had not been the case it would have been less effective. I was very pleased with the result and the quality of the work was excellent, and did not reflect the small amount of time that was given to you to complete this project. And I want everyone to know that not only this scroll was made, but a second larger one, with a different backing cloth was also made and sent to me. An unexpected bonus, and it is really stunning. The only critique I was given was that the string is only made for wrapping the scroll and wire is used to hang. I saw several others who used the string as well, and it looked much nicer than the wire in my opinion. I hope that you are as happy with the results as I am. Next time I'll give you a proper timeframe to work with!
Thank you so much for your talent and working with me in not ideal conditions. -J
Beautiful scroll with a great painting and VERY nice trees with a well thought out plan put together into a great display. I like it all!
I also have a scroll from him. Beautiful work. I hope to have another one or two made from paintings of my own, as soon as I do one worthy of display.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
The only critique I was given was that the string is only made for wrapping the scroll and wire is used to hang. I saw several others who used the string as well, and it looked much nicer than the wire in my opinion. I hope that you are as happy with the results as I am. Next time I'll give you a proper timeframe to work with!

Over here I am seeing more people using these devices to hang scrolls:

img57477569.gif

It's a sliding hook in a strip of bamboo.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Some examples below. They're actually very light. The hook has a nut on it that clamps it in place, you can loosen it to move the hook up and down to adjust the height of the scroll.
The second image below was on a 'pipe and drape' backcloth, as was the third - you can make a little loop of wire that hooks over the top of the pipe. If you have a solid backdrop you can use a pin / hook (first and fourth images).

I think it's called a 'jizai'. You can get a metal version (e.g. https://daibokai.com/products/jizai ) as well but I prefer the look of the wood.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
The only critique I was given was that the string is only made for wrapping the scroll and wire is used to hang. I saw several others who used the string as well, and it looked much nicer than the wire in my opinion.

I am not quite sure what you mean by hanging with wire? The long piece that you wrap is called the Makihimo (Maki is roll as in a round cylindrical object and himo is string in Japanese), the other string tied between the two cotter pins (kan) is called Kakehimo (kakeru is the verb to hang (like hang a painting) and himo string again). If the critiquer was saying it should be hung on a jinzai (a formal metal piece to hang scrolls) which can be adjusted up and down to vary the height of where the scroll should hang, then technically this is true and the jinzai should have been used. However, the jinzai should be provided by the show organizer and be uniform for all who hang a scroll for their display at the show.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
This is the jinzai my supplier sells...

It is set on the very top setting. And one small detail, the makihimo should be placed on the right...not the left when hanging.
Let me know if you would like one, and I will add it when I place an order next month.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am not quite sure what you mean by hanging with wire? The long piece that you wrap is called the Makihimo (Maki is roll as in a round cylindrical object and himo is string in Japanese), the other string tied between the two cotter pins (kan) is called Kakehimo (kakeru is the verb to hang (like hang a painting) and himo string again). If the critiquer was saying it should be hung on a jinzai (a formal metal piece to hang scrolls) which can be adjusted up and down to vary the height of where the scroll should hang, then technically this is true and the jinzai should have been used. However, the jinzai should be provided by the show organizer and be uniform for all who hang a scroll for their display at the show.
I used the Makihimo to hang the scroll with as it was easily pinned up under the header on the pipe and drape to the height I wanted. The comment was that this string is only used to wrap and tie the scroll up with, not to hang the scroll with. The scrolls I saw that did not use this were hung with thin wire in the same way that I used the string, but to me the string was more attractive than the wire. I do not know how you could attach the Jinzai to pipe and drape, it seems like it would be fine on a wall, but most venues would object to screws being placed in their walls. I did see others using the makihimo, and to me it did look much cleaner than the wire. But if it is incorrect, I will need to rethink using it in adjudicated shows.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some examples below. They're actually very light. The hook has a nut on it that clamps it in place, you can loosen it to move the hook up and down to adjust the height of the scroll.
The second image below was on a 'pipe and drape' backcloth, as was the third - you can make a little loop of wire that hooks over the top of the pipe. If you have a solid backdrop you can use a pin / hook (first and fourth images).

I think it's called a 'jizai'. You can get a metal version (e.g. https://daibokai.com/products/jizai ) as well but I prefer the look of the wood.

The third image is why I'm saying that it looks sloppy, even with very thin wire, it just doesn't look as nice as just using the string to hang it with. It's probably good if you can hide the wire to hang it with under a header, but out in the open, not pretty. I like the overall idea of these, it looks like it might impart a bit of heaviness to the overall scroll so for the display we are discussing, I do not think I would want to use one. Scroll back up and imagine a heavy line (meaning the wood) coming down above the scroll and see if you agree.

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
You could wrap rebar tie wire around the pole that hangs the drapery, and put it through the hole in the jinzai and then hide the wire. Alternatively, you could use a Monkey Hook (OOK brand product) and slip it over the bar that hangs the drapes and bend it around the bar without damaging anything and then set the hook through the Jinzai....

Top Bottom