Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
The Knowledge of Bonsai Forum
Proudly Presents Our First Annual
Progressive Styling Contest
Sponsored by Bonsai Europe Magazine

The Knowledge of Bonsai Forum has teamed up with Bonsai Europe Magazine to host our First Annual Progressive Styling Contest.

The contest objective is to obtain stock and style it into a presentable bonsai within the time frame allotted by the rules. In order to include all levels of enthusiasts and all levels of stock, we have created both professional and non-professional categories and sub-divided these into different stock categories. There is no price limit on stock.

With the goal of presenting a contest that is educational for all, we have modified the usual “before and after photo” styling contest common on most forums and added a few stipulations that we feel will turn this contest into something that can be discussed, learned from, and referred to by all. This contest will also require that participants submit three sets of progression photographs documenting their work. Each of these sets, as well as the first entry pictures and the final photographs will require a brief written explanation of the decisions made, techniques used, and thoughts behind the design.

Categories Include:

Professional
• Collected Stock
• Raw Stock
• Pre-Bonsai Stock

Non-Professional
• Collected Stock
• Raw Stock
• Pre-Bonsai Stock

General
• Best over all resulting bonsai from all categories.
• Most original design.
• Best solution to a problem.

Entries from around the world will be accepted. There is no cost to enter. The deadline for first submissions is July 31, 2007 and the deadline for final submissions is September 1, 2007. Judges will be announced soon. For complete rules and more information on this contest visit The Knowledge of Bonsai Forum at www.knowledgeofbonsai.org.

http://www.knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=88

Good luck to all!

Attachments

• contest.jpg
    contest.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 8

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The surprise has been sprung. I'm really looking forward to this one.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
please go somewhere else

this spam is not wanted here

Last edited:

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
please go somewhere else

Well, I'm more than happy to see the announcement here, and given that the category is "Events, Exhibits & Outings", it certainly seems appropriate.

-Darrell

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
yeah i guess you are right about that....well i guess technically its not spam since it seems thats kob owns this place and use it for its own promotional purposes......i will not complain anymore

sorry

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

That is excellent, and a contest that I am sure that even rank beginners like zelk and Jase could learn from - provided that they were prepared to watch and listen.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information with us here at BonsaiNut, I am sure that many of us will drop in to KoB for a look see.

Jon

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
i am in fact a beginner... but it is funny how you would automatically assume a persons skill level without even knowing them. thats sad

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is indeed sad that after all is said and done some folks can't see past their own noses. Bonsai is a brother/sisterhood of art and passion, more passion than art IMO. Artists flock to share with each other their passion and visions, exchange information while taking in an education in aspiring to higher levels. For those whom have a passing interest in the hobby it is sad indeed that you have not been enveloped in the mystical raptures of Bonsai.

The quality of any forum is only as good as the open minds of its participants!!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
please go somewhere else

No one is selling anything. This is a posting of an event open to anyone from any forum, club, country, county, school yard, asylum, or home for the philosophically impaired to enter. What on Earth is your problem? You can even enter.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
yeah i guess you are right about that....well i guess technically its not spam since it seems thats kob owns this place and use it for its own promotional purposes......i will not complain anymore

sorry

Once again you are in error. No one owns this site but Bnut. I think I see the issue though---you are angry that you and those that think like you cannot control Bnut like you have done to some other locations. Get over it. Participate in something other than personal attacks, do something positive for a change, make a contribution-----and God forbid----make a bonsai and enter it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
HAHAHA...Jon Clown..You don't know me....I do however know all about you and your agendas here... You are just another one of the knob/aob groupies...

Well there's another personal attack from the Bonsai Outhouse, sorry couldn't resist the parody.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a beginner, but a know it all beginner is an irritant. Why don't you put some pictures of your work in your gallery; to paraphrase a contract to play doctor between four-year olds. I've shown you mine now you show me yours.

Better still; why don't you get a tree for any price, even a yamadori, style it and enter it. Your problem is you my friend and you are not doing yourself any good by continually harboring this kind of spirit. You have not posted anything positive here since January, and you have never started a post, so I don't see how anything you might demand has any credibility or sticking power due to previous contributions of any significance.

Does Jon have an agenda? What might that be? Maybe he thinks this is a good thing and wants to participate. Maybe your mad at Jon because he does not agree with you? Me thinketh thus the case may be.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is indeed sad that after all is said and done some folks can't see past their own noses. Bonsai is a brother/sisterhood of art and passion, more passion than art IMO. Artists flock to share with each other their passion and visions, exchange information while taking in an education in aspiring to higher levels. For those whom have a passing interest in the hobby it is sad indeed that you have not been enveloped in the mystical raptures of Bonsai.

The quality of any forum is only as good as the open minds of its participants!!

Thanks for your opinion, an opinion I happen to share right down the line. I look forward to seeing you participate as well. Some might say they are not ready for something like this. That may be true but why not challenge one's self to go beyond what you may be doing now. You can get into this contest with a two dollar shrub from Home Depot, or any other big or little box store, or you can invest thousands and buy the most spectacular yamadori on the face of the Earth. I don't understand (actually I do) why some people think this is bad.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Vance,

I hear you my bonsai friend. It is getting extremely irritating of late trying to participate constructively on the forums. Having no group or society to study from, this avenue is a welcome addition to literature, at least we can exchange information in real time.

Although, I no longer participate in contests personally, I definitely welcome said contests to further my own education. To see what other enthusiasts do with a piece of raw stock, is nothing but educational in developing ones artistic eye and flair. Just the fact of having to explain the rationale behind the styling, make it a worthwhile contest IMO. Those who constantly need to bicker, and can't find the educational value behind this particular contest, regardless of who may or may not sponsor it, are recommended to: take your toys and go home.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The Knowledge of Bonsai Forum
Proudly Presents Our First Annual
Progressive Styling Contest
Sponsored by Bonsai Europe Magazine

The Knowledge of Bonsai Forum has teamed up with Bonsai Europe Magazine to host our First Annual Progressive Styling Contest.

The contest objective is to obtain stock and style it into a presentable bonsai within the time frame allotted by the rules. In order to include all levels of enthusiasts and all levels of stock, we have created both professional and non-professional categories and sub-divided these into different stock categories. There is no price limit on stock.

With the goal of presenting a contest that is educational for all, we have modified the usual “before and after photo” styling contest common on most forums and added a few stipulations that we feel will turn this contest into something that can be discussed, learned from, and referred to by all. This contest will also require that participants submit three sets of progression photographs documenting their work. Each of these sets, as well as the first entry pictures and the final photographs will require a brief written explanation of the decisions made, techniques used, and thoughts behind the design.

Categories Include:

Professional
• Collected Stock
• Raw Stock
• Pre-Bonsai Stock

Non-Professional
• Collected Stock
• Raw Stock
• Pre-Bonsai Stock

General
• Best over all resulting bonsai from all categories.
• Most original design.
• Best solution to a problem.

Entries from around the world will be accepted. There is no cost to enter. The deadline for first submissions is July 31, 2007 and the deadline for final submissions is September 1, 2007. Judges will be announced soon. For complete rules and more information on this contest visit The Knowledge of Bonsai Forum at www.knowledgeofbonsai.org.

http://www.knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=88

Good luck to all!

Hey guys I have a suggestion. Why don't we place a disclaimer every time we announce something like this?

This contest is not approved or recommended by such Famous and anonymous Bonsai Masters as Bonsai Outlaw and Zelk. They have determined that your participation may be injurious to maintaining current levels of mediocrity where by some may find their comfort level challenged. Participate at your own peril and they will not be responsible for you advancing yourself in the Art of Bonsai. Continued participation in events like this may cause the quality of personal bonsai collections to increase

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... as an addendum to my reply to Vance, I have been called a "snob" in the past. Let it be known that I have not been an enthusiast for as long as many who participate here. Having said that, I do know the value of the information exchanged on these forums when folks do it without reservation or seeking retribution. I am glad to see Jon participating in the forums again after a long exodus.

If folks cannot see the value of such free exchanges, they are in the wrong hobby. There is much to learn "grasshoper" are you willing participants, or just someone passing through, disrupting the site, enticing rivalry, or seeking to further advance yourself. The most powerful word remains the unspoken one.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
... as an addendum to my reply to Vance, I have been called a "snob" in the past. Let it be known that I have not been an enthusiast for as long as many who participate here. Having said that, I do know the value of the information exchanged on these forums when folks do it without reservation or seeking retribution. I am glad to see Jon participating in the forums again after a long exodus.

If folks cannot see the value of such free exchanges, they are in the wrong hobby. There is much to learn "grasshoper" are you willing participants, or just someone passing through, disrupting the site, enticing rivalry, or seeking to further advance yourself. The most powerful word remains the unspoken one.

A snob! Gee Rick you are going to have to work harder. These people are capable of delving the depths of epitets. But take comfort in the name calling. Name calling is what happens when those who disagree with you run out of anything substantive to say.

I find it interesting that you mention the unspoken word. Some of us have come to a point in bonsai where we are seeking the soul of a bonsai, that which is unspoken, a kind of presence. It is this point I hope to see unfold in this contest, with the entries from some of the really great bonsai growers. A wonderful opportunity to get inside the head and thinking of some of the great artists in bonsai.

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
How often do they send people to this site I wonder?
The Knowledge of Bonsai Forums welcomes announcements about anything bonsai, we even have a special section just for that purpose. The announcements can be about anything bonsai happening and any physical or internet space.

I welcome and encourage you to post something for another forum. It will not be ridiculed in the slightest way.

OR

If for some reason you do not want to join our forum and just want an announcement posted you can simply email me and I will post it proptly.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information with us here at BonsaiNut, I am sure that many of us will drop in to KoB for a look see.
My pleasure Jon.

HAHAHA...Jon Clown..You don't know me....I do however know all about you and your agendas here... You are just another one of the knob/aob groupies...
Jon was at one time an editor of the KoB, and is no longer (his personal desision).
Is there something wrong with someone enjoying other forums along with this one?

Rick,
I love your attitude! And the words you speak are so so true.

Again very well said.

----------------------

And I must say. . .can't we all just get along?
-Paul

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Is it me or is there a ton of childish crap going on here?

I would certainly like to see this forum grow and prosper but I don't see that happening. We are at 142 members. A month or two ago we were at 137 (if my memory serves me correct). That's not much of an increase. Perhaps it's the bickering and name calling that is driving future members and contributors away or keeping them as lurkers here. Perhaps it's the lack of content - other than the rambling argument threads.

Here's a challenge to everyone - some points of conduct that we should all be able to abide by:

1) Stop whining and arguing. If you don't agree with the opinions or topics offer up your opinion in a constructive manner with respect to fellow members. You can also exercise the option to not post if you don't like it or even better - don't read it.

2) Contribute on a more positive level, stop with the attacks. Frankly I'm sick of it and I know others are as well.

3) If you think your response will instigate someone else please keep it to yourself. I can't be the only person here that is tired of reading the back and forth attacks starting from a post that the poster knew good and well it would start a mess.

That's my rant. I'm sorry I can't contribute to this thread, I'm too pissed to come up with anything. I agree with Paul - can't we all just get along?

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Is it me or is there a ton of childish crap going on here?

I would certainly like to see this forum grow and prosper but I don't see that happening. We are at 142 members. A month or two ago we were at 137 (if my memory serves me correct). That's not much of an increase. Perhaps it's the bickering and name calling that is driving future members and contributors away or keeping them as lurkers here. Perhaps it's the lack of content - other than the rambling argument threads.

Here's a challenge to everyone - some points of conduct that we should all be able to abide by:

1) Stop whining and arguing. If you don't agree with the opinions or topics offer up your opinion in a constructive manner with respect to fellow members. You can also exercise the option to not post if you don't like it or even better - don't read it.

2) Contribute on a more positive level, stop with the attacks. Frankly I'm sick of it and I know others are as well.

3) If you think your response will instigate someone else please keep it to yourself. I can't be the only person here that is tired of reading the back and forth attacks starting from a post that the poster knew good and well it would start a mess.

That's my rant. I'm sorry I can't contribute to this thread, I'm too pissed to come up with anything. I agree with Paul - can't we all just get along?
Love you attitude!
-Paul

Top Bottom