"Bonsai Flats" housing development

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rad. Third party is the way. Most of my friends are hard liberals. They're excellent folks. They could use a little more sensitivity when talking politics they don't agree with, though 😂

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have that problem, too. All my liberal friends think I'm conservative, all my conservative friends think I'm liberal, but the conservatives never threatened me for not voting for their preferred candidate.

I was totally ready to vote for Yang in 2020. Still pissed about what his own party did to him in the debates.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not just that. An avowed Christian nationalist. And I have no patience for fundamentalists or extremists. Got in, took one look at that hideous banner with a printed Jesus wrapped in the flag, and left immediately
Hijacking this thread a bit to share my experience with this guy. I went in there yesterday with an open mind, having seen him sharing his religious views on his website. Nothing wrong with that...but let's just say I have more than enough experience with rural Western "Christians" to be wary.

I asked him a few questions about the NASCAR race he was watching, and he said some questionable things about Bubba Wallace, the solitary black driver in the series. Being the dumbass I am, I called him out a bit on it, which led to a long tirade culminated in calling me a "race traitor." I felt a little honored to be called such, I won't lie.

His trees were mostly trash and he is entirely self-trained, but to his credit, there were two really large and lovely ficuses in there for reasonable prices (low $2k). I would not support his business after that interaction of course.

thatdirtykid

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am often surprised where cultures overlap, and we have quite the variety of extremes here in Colorado. I am usually traveling with my kids when I drive through Idaho Springs, so it's nice to have a heads up about the shop. I don't need to be given a reason to defend my 12 year old who likes to dress masculine and has colorful hair. Or my rainbow obsessed 7 year old.
While talking Colorado Bonsai, I assume Harmony Bonsai in Hygine (up here just between Longmont and Lyons) is associated with the metro area one?) I have called once to ask about tools and soil and got a machine. Not much info online, website or socials, I am guessing they aren't much worth my time.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hijacking this thread a bit to share my experience with this guy. I went in there yesterday with an open mind, having seen him sharing his religious views on his website. Nothing wrong with that...but let's just say I have more than enough experience with rural Western "Christians" to be wary.

I asked him a few questions about the NASCAR race he was watching, and he said some questionable things about Bubba Wallace, the solitary black driver in the series. Being the dumbass I am, I called him out a bit on it, which led to a long tirade culminated in calling me a "race traitor." I felt a little honored to be called such, I won't lie.

His trees were mostly trash and he is entirely self-trained, but to his credit, there were two really large and lovely ficuses in there for reasonable prices (low $2k). I would not support his business after that interaction of course.
Wow. Sorry it happened to you. Not surprising though, seen what I saw of the store and the owner.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
meh, I'm pretty used to it. i find it quite sad, but to say I'm numb to such thought is an understatement.

one of the weird things about being "the majority" is that these type of people always assume you're one of them. it's always fun to see how these people respond when they find out that I'm queer 🤣

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
meh, I'm pretty used to it. i find it quite sad, but to say I'm numb to such thought is an understatement.

one of the weird things about being "the majority" is that these type of people always assume you're one of them. it's always fun to see how these people respond when they find out that I'm queer 🤣
I grew up in a (NOT THAT 🤯) conservative Christian family.
So I can throw scripture at the actual extremists, and that pisses them off REAL bad.🤣🤣
Seriously, if they ever quote the Old Testament, just say, "oh, I never would've guessed you were Jewish," and when they protest just hit 'em with Mathew 22:38-40 - the whole golden rule thing. That confuses them.

Any ACTUAL Christian who's not insane will ALWAYS treat you with dignity. It pisses me off that the likes of this guy are what have become the expectation.
And I'm not even really Christian or religious; I just can't stand that people with half a wit and a brick for perspective get as much traction as they do.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is verging on a tea house discussion, so I would be happy to move it there if preferred.

I was raised in a Catholic family--see the queer thing above, that was fun!--so I feel you for sure. I'm also not particularly religious, but do genuinely find Catholic philosophy fascinating, despite it largely being diametrically opposed to the practice of the Church as a political/imperial entity. I always wonder how people can take such a simple and beautiful philosophy (and that of Jesus Christ is certainly simple, which I don't at all mean disparagingly) and make it so complex and ugly.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am often surprised where cultures overlap, and we have quite the variety of extremes here in Colorado. I am usually traveling with my kids when I drive through Idaho Springs, so it's nice to have a heads up about the shop. I don't need to be given a reason to defend my 12 year old who likes to dress masculine and has colorful hair. Or my rainbow obsessed 7 year old.
While talking Colorado Bonsai, I assume Harmony Bonsai in Hygine (up here just between Longmont and Lyons) is associated with the metro area one?) I have called once to ask about tools and soil and got a machine. Not much info online, website or socials, I am guessing they aren't much worth my time.

In my humble opinion, by far the best resource in the area is First Branch Bonsai (Todd Schlafer). World class trees and pots, and more humble material too. I don’t think he has tools or soil though.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is verging on a tea house discussion, so I would be happy to move it there if preferred.
I don't think too many people would mind, and some would likely enjoy it.
You could start a thread there for this topic, or if your uncertain about that feel free to bring it up in the Random Of Doom thread I started some time ago specifically for discussion on any and all topics that might get a sidelong look elsewhere.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Ahhh the Jussie Smollett of Nascar.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I have been to Harmony. Kind of a cold environment, not much in the way of pots and tools, absolutely no soil. The trees are mallsai, probably overpriced... I mean there were definitely decent "pre-bonsai" but pretty formulaic. Unfortunately, probably the only decent "bonsai nursery" in the area that Ive found, as in they actually carry material that was made with bonsai in mind.

City Floral in east denver has a lot of tropical material but its more like ficus braids and "living room trees".

Southwest Gardens in north Lakewood is the best succulent nursery in the area, IMO, and often carries bulky jades and stuff like Crown of Thorns, not everyones cup of tea

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@pandacular are you in CO or were you just driving through? Location tag says Seattle so just curious. I swear, with all the Coloradans on this site we need our own thread... a support group for the crazies that try to grow anything here 🤣

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I live in Seattle, but my sisters live in Denver and my mom just moved to Silverthorne. my family passes through Idaho Springs oftne enough that I think every one of them has mentioned this shop to me, so it was inevitable that I go.

the PNW has a very similar thing going on where you can go from one end of the spectrum to the other in a 20 minute drive.

Top Bottom