Bonsai Focus "Reminder"

Status
Not open for further replies.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Yes BBG you did forget one.
Gulfstream Tropical Bonsai Journal...
Last year I recieved the same past due, but just figured the hubby had forgotten to let me know.
Irene

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ABS Journal is a treasure, so is Bill Valavanis' International Bonsai. Both are extremely worthy of your subscription money --and they have customer relations that, in my experience, are more than helpful.

I started a subscription to ABS Journal earlier this fall, and really enjoy it. It might not have as many pretty pictures as Bonsai Focus, but to me i seems to put more emphasis on the "how to" of bonsai, which I find more useful.

Thanks for the tip on International Bonsai. I have been a bit frustrated with Bonsai Focus in that it tends to concentrate mostly on species available in Europe. You can see that it is a Europe-centric publication from the fact that the European advertisers have a prominent position in the middle of the magazine, while the American advertising section is relegated to the back (as for the 100 pages of bonsai, a growing proportion is now advertising). That's all fine and good, but my preference would be for a publication that has more focus on locally available species. In any event, after reading the flippant comments from the Bonsai Focus publisher, I have a feeling my money will be going elsewhere when my subscription lapses - "overdue invoices" or not.

And yeah, Vic, start an ezine...

That would be pretty cool!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So this is not a European 'thing', but merely a compromise of worldwide cultural differences. Some people have difficulty understanding this.

Look at it from another perspective and realize that you receive 6 times 100 pages - that is 600 pages total - of high quality information on bonsai each year for only $ 59.95 including shipping costs.
What BOOK can compete with that???????????

Would you be so kind to post this on the forum? I have to produce another issue and don't have time to do this.

Thanks very much for your support.

Best regards,

René Rooswinkel
Publisher
Bonsai Focus
A Bonsai Europe Publication
www.bonsaifocus.com

This is the type of statement that chaffs my chaps. First is the unabashed arrogance, since when do consumers have to compromise. Either you have the goods or you don't. Last time I went shopping I didn't compromise with a merchant or a provider of a service. If you charge a fee for an item or service you don't back peddle looking for concessions.

I personally think we are witnessing "big fish in a small pond syndrome".

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Believe it or not, this IS a cultural difference between Europe and North America.
In North America, the customer is always right. You can walk into any retail store or business, and rant and rave, and they will be very polite to you most of the time.
In Europe, you walk into a store, and YOU have to be polite, or they'll thow you out. I notice this right away, when visit my parents in Hungary.

I remember when I moved here from Europe, I was surprised of all the politeness. Then I became used to it, and take it for granted. Now, I am "surprised" how rude the Europeans are.:D, since I am not used to it anymore.

So, don't take it too personally this behaviour, the whole world is like this, except the US and Canada. You can't expect them to behave as if they lived here.

Things are changing slowly, and the businesses over there have started realizing the financial benefits of the concept "the customer is always right", but it's happening very slowly.

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Things are changing slowly, and the businesses over there have started realizing the financial benefits of the concept "the customer is always right", but it's happening very slowly.

If this really is the case it sounds like although in Europe (and allegedly elsewhere) being rude is expected from vendors, the customers just don't complain and silently take their money elsewhere. So the same thing that happens there happens here, except Americans don't just take it...we speak up. I guess people, no matter where they are at, appreciate being treated with kindness and respect......so I guess Walter can stop preaching about how sensitive we Americans and Canadians are .

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Having traveled the world extensively in my 32.5 yrs in the Navy I have never experienced such harsh behaviour. Mind you I haven't been to Europe since 1998...

Edit: but as Ryan fry said: Treat me with dis-respect and that is one loaf of bread I will not provide to your family. I had a recent bad experience in St-Lucia, the cabbie got my drift loud and clear. Us North Americans simply do not put up with BS, and so should no one else. Do on to others...

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever Walter...I've heard this speech from you before. It's only an excuse to be inconsiderate of others.

It most certainly and obviously is NOT normal HERE where their American customers are living. .

so I guess Walter can stop preaching about how sensitive we Americans and Canadians are .

In my opinion, the only arrogance here is assuming that the whole world should act, behave, and do business exactly as the Americans do. When you choose to do business with a foreign entity, you must assume that things will be slightly different and either accept it, or stop doing business with them if your sensibilities are bruised.

America is the home of "political correctness", so much so that even the mere act of commenting on a bonsai is hampered, not to mention many other things. One can't even call a spade a spade anymore, we must infer to suit-ally challenged playing cards, lol.

Seriously, Walter has tried to explain (not justify) this so often that I wonder why he even bothers, things are not the same in Europe, things are done differently and for those who wish to witness this, visit a European bonsai forum.

So you got a subscription notice that looked like a past due notice, so what? Your credit wasn't effected, no harm was done, either send a check in or don't because your delicate sensibilities were bruised.

Bonsai Europe (bonsai Focus) brings top notch, quality information on bonsai to the door steps of bonsaists in dozens of countries. It provides some of the best content out there and they constantly strive to offer even better content in each and every issue, it is a bargain even if we have to put up with a few invoices that look like past due notices.

Bottom line, it is not an American company and expecting them to act like one is like asking a Eskimo for suntan lotion and then complaining because they don't have any.

That being said, ABS Journal is a great magazine, so is International Bonsai, both are American publications. Personally I suggest everyone subscribe to all three.

As for the Gulfstream Tropical Bonsai Journal... well, I said it once here.

Will

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my opinion, the only arrogance here is assuming that the whole world should act, behave, and do business exactly as the Americans do. When you choose to do business with a foreign entity, you must assume that things will be slightly different and either accept it, or stop doing business with them if your sensibilities are bruised.

This is not merely Americans trying to do business with a foreign entity - this is the foreign entity trying to sell a product to Americans.

European companies are free to be as insulting to fellow Europeans as they want. If that is deemed acceptable business practices, good for them. But, if they are peddling their wares to foreigners, they should expect to be aware of the local customs and other cultural aspects of the potential buyers. Do you mean to tell us that an American company going into Asia shouldn't adopt business practices customized to reflect Asian values and sensitivities? Give me a break - to do otherwise (i.e., conduct business as if your local sensitivities are the only ones of importance) would be terrible business practice. Successful businesses know their customers, whether foreign or domestic. Why do you think international businesses looking to get into a foreign market spend lots of money to ensure that their product, name, sales practices, etc. do not offend the local population?

If people feel insulted, they will not give you their money, especially if there are viable alternatives out there - whether they are vocal about it or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Honesty and political correctness are not mutually exclusive... but that isn't the point. My quest was to see what was up in the manner which gives me the best representative answer, the experiance of my peers.

Thank you for your contribution to that evaluation Will. But I have to counter that they shouldn't be surprised by the reaction of Americans when they are courting us as well. :cool:

Nice write up on the Tropical mag... I'll have to get it.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is not merely Americans trying to do business with a foreign entity - this is the foreign entity trying to sell a product to Americans.

European companies are free to be as insulting to fellow Europeans as they want. If that is deemed acceptable business practices, good for them. But, if they are peddling their wares to foreigners, they should expect to be aware of the local customs and other cultural aspects of the potential buyers. Do you mean to tell us that an American company going into Asia shouldn't adopt business practices customized to reflect Asian values and sensitivities? Give me a break - that is terrible business practice. Successful businesses know their customers.

If people feel insulted, they will not give you their money, especially if there are viable alternatives out there - whether they are vocal about it or not.

lol you beat me to it. :p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just ordered the Gulf Stream mag... they need to update that website, but ordering was painless and it looks like I'll get the last mag of the year to boot... that would be nice. :) Ordered some fert for my bougie while I was at it.

It's nice to support home grown publications...

V

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

America is the home of "political correctness", so much so that even the mere act of commenting on a bonsai is hampered, not to mention many other things. One can't even call a spade a spade anymore, we must infer to suit-ally challenged playing cards, lol.

Seriously, Walter has tried to explain (not justify) this so often that I wonder why he even bothers, things are not the same in Europe, things are done differently and for those who wish to witness this, visit a European bonsai forum.

So you got a subscription notice that looked like a past due notice, so what? Your credit wasn't effected, no harm was done, either send a check in or don't because your delicate sensibilities were bruised.

Bonsai Europe (bonsai Focus) brings top notch, quality information on bonsai to the door steps of bonsaists in dozens of countries. It provides some of the best content out there and they constantly strive to offer even better content in each and every issue, it is a bargain even if we have to put up with a few invoices that look like past due notices.

Bottom line, it is not an American company and expecting them to act like one is like asking a Eskimo for suntan lotion and then complaining because they don't have any.

That being said, ABS Journal is a great magazine, so is International Bonsai, both are American publications. Personally I suggest everyone subscribe to all three.

Will
If Europe and other countries such a great place to live, then why have so many flocked to North America?

I did notice an arrogant comment from Europeans in my travels. << We are babies still in diapers. We have been around a mere 200 yrs, not 2000, and as an infant have no entitlement to our opinions>>

Sorry Will you are swapping spit with the wrong people. :eek: Arrogance is arrogance and it should always be nipped in the bud. I will concede that political correctness may have resulted in reverse discrimination but, being courteous to all fellow man would be a step in the right direction, regardless of race colour, religion or creed.

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I received an Invoice the 1st week of November to renew my subscription. It also included a nice(and polite) cover letter explaining it was time to renew and that if you renewed on line you could win a Best of Europe 3 being raffled each week. I renewed online. The invoice clearly stated if you were paying by check to have it in by November 26th to avoid interruption of delivery.

If you did not receive the original mailing and just got a second overdue notice--I could see being a bit annoyed.

However, as Walter pointed out..doing business internationally is not always the easiest. The mailing I received was polite and clear.

I have met Farrand and Renee personally and both were extremely nice and very personable.
I have called and emailed their staff (both stateside and in Europe) and everyone was extremely professional. I have also ordered back issues off the website with no problems.

Just my experience.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I received an Invoice the 1st week of November to renew my subscription. It also included a nice(and polite) cover letter explaining it was time to renew and that if you renewed on line you could win a Best of Europe 3 being raffled each week. I renewed online. The invoice clearly stated if you were paying by check to have it in by November 26th to avoid interruption of delivery.

If you did not receive the original mailing and just got a second overdue notice--I could see being a bit annoyed.

However, as Walter pointed out..doing business internationally is not always the easiest. The mailing I received was polite and clear.

I have met Farrand and Renee personally and both were extremely nice and very personable.
I have called and emailed their staff (both stateside and in Europe) and everyone was extremely professional. I have also ordered back issues off the website with no problems.

Just my experience.

Your experience mirrors my own and I have found Bonsai Focus and all the staff there pleasurable and easy to work with as well.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Just my experience.

I'm glad you had a good experiance... I have not had any other concern with the mag myself... it was just so very strange a letter that it prompted the post. It would be nice if everyone had the same experiance you did... maybe it's because you've got an inside track... :p;)

Thanks for contributing your experiance....

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Your experience mirrors my own and I have found Bonsai Focus and all the staff there pleasurable and easy to work with as well.

Will

Don't you contribute to them? I'd be stunned if you had anything but. Equally, I'd be stunned if you said anything different, for the same reason. ;)

V

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Will

Will I understand the differences between the two cultures...that's why I only laughed when I saw BF's "reminder". I don't have a problem with it...and I don't think that everyone should act like Americans...I just think it's weird and ignorant on their part. But, at the same time it wouldn't hurt them to understand American culture so as to avoid upsets and loss of people who don't tolerate these kinds of differences.
I also agree that Americans have taken the polite thing too far and it does hamper honest and constructive criticism....but I also think that people like Walter use this "culture" difference as a guise to excuse poor conduct that is better explained as prideful arrogance. You're trying to turn this into a polarized issue and for me it just isn't. There should be a balance between the two.

----Oh and I don't "bruise" that easily....come on Will....

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score

Will

Just my experience.

Excellent replies...... I have had nothing but great dealings with BF and will continue to be a subscriber. So far I have seen nothing that compares to the publication. I heard a complaint about it still catering to "European Species". While there is a bit more "European flare" to the content I asked a guy who writes a few articles a month for them about that same thing a while ago and in a nutshell it was explained (in my words) as "Nobody in America is writing articles based on their work on American trees and submitting them to BF". Again, my translation but from what I have seen and heard it holds true. It is no secret that Europe and Japan has better material and more professionals than we do here therefore you have to expect that they will get most of the action. If anything we should be happy about and learn what they are doing. This will only help to raise the bar here in the states.

I was also told to write an article by the same guy on a few of my trees and they would get action because they are American trees and I can document the transition. As of now I have very little interest in doing so, but I do have a few trees that will be worthy of a possible write up in a few yrs :)

I got the same letters as everyone else and I didn't even think twice about it. My first thought was about not missing an issue, not weather or not my feelings were hurt. In the game of life there is way more things to get worked up over and spend time on.....like trees! :)

Now lets get to work on some trees! haha

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Letters... plural... is the operative word. :D

Without it, it makes no sense... but the horse is run out... so there we have it. Lots of experiances from a variety of people... all in all a very good thread.

Thanks!

V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom