"Bonsai" for sale, only $22,630 AUD!!!!!!

Reaction score
Well I got a good chuckle out of this guy!! I messaged him and he is seriously asking this price!! What a strange world we live in

Attachments

• bonsai 5.png
    bonsai 5.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Bonsai 1.png
    Bonsai 1.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Bonsai 2.png
    Bonsai 2.png
    528.2 KB · Views: 325
  • Bonsai 3.png
    Bonsai 3.png
    509.6 KB · Views: 315
  • bonsai 4.png
    bonsai 4.png
    659.1 KB · Views: 312

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Well, you gotta speculate to accumulate! I reckon he’s just experienced a milestone birthday and is questioning the value of life, or some other existential crisis.

Imagine if all things were valued by their age instead of usefulness or material wealth. There would be a temple erected to the bristlecones, and Old Tjikko and bonsai would be the perfect investment platform. That’s more of a world I could get used to...

Right, I’m off to the bank. Do you think he ships to the UK?

emre

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Sad how some people believe "bonsai" is a type of tree species. One of my friends insisted on showing me "natural growing bonsai" trees out on the coast. Even after arguing with him about how it's not bonsai if it's not in a container, he still seems to think I have it wrong.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even after arguing with him about how it's not bonsai if it's not in a container, he still seems to think I have it wrong.
I think you do have it wrong. The origin of bonsai is in part by collecting naturally dwarfed specimen living on cliffs and keeping them in that state in a pot.
So your friend is right. Natural bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you do have it wrong. The origin of bonsai is in part by collecting naturally dwarfed specimen living on cliffs and keeping them in that state in a pot.
Nope. Naturally dwarfed trees ARE NOT BONSAI. Bonsai is a combination of human intervention and nature. Simply putting a natural dwarf tree in a pot and "keeping them in that state" is not bonsai. The Chinese who first collected naturally dwarfed trees didn't just let them sit. They enhanced them, removing growth, allowing growth where needed (according to THEIR esthetic, not nature's) To be bonsai, that tree HAS to be worked.

And this "bonsai" looks to be making that same mistake...a $12 deodar cedar collected from a Walmart sales bin and put in a pot with no design or apparent care, isn't bonsai either.

Reaction score
So.. Are you buying it? A good 22 dollars is a good deal I would say.

To be honest, if I was feeling generous I would probably give the guy $200. What's your opinion of what its worth? It is fairly good looking and would be great for some sort of accent/landscape plant

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Sad how some people believe "bonsai" is a type of tree species. One of my friends insisted on showing me "natural growing bonsai" trees out on the coast. Even after arguing with him about how it's not bonsai if it's not in a container, he still seems to think I have it wrong.
I’ve had to explain so many people that bonsai is not a species of tree. Even intelligent people who otherwise generally avoid such errant brain farts. To have someone argue back, though, takes the biscuit.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The very definition of bonsai is tree in pot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope. Naturally dwarfed trees ARE NOT BONSAI. Bonsai is a combination of human intervention and nature. Simply putting a natural dwarf tree in a pot and "keeping them in that state" is not bonsai. The Chinese who first collected naturally dwarfed trees didn't just let them sit. They enhanced them, removing growth, allowing growth where needed (according to THEIR esthetic, not nature's) To be bonsai, that tree HAS to be worked.
The origin of bonsai is in part by collecting naturally dwarfed specimen

Top Bottom