Bonsai from the Ground Up

clic8991

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
To further my understanding in the art, I attempted to construct the elements of bonsai from wood. It gave me a chance to try out my die grinder and consider the components and proportion that results in a powerful bonsai: A strong base relative to the horizon (2X12); non-symmetrical radial roots (some left over base board); a moving tapering trunk (a dead tree branch; some celtis species (Sugarberry, I think)); and energy/life lines (Thirteen Hedera helix-English Ivy plants, finishing nails). I was even able to place the primary and secondary branches off the English ivy. I took me about 5 hours. I don't know if people do this sort of thing to make bonsai (or if it will work). All together it was successful in experience, if not the start of a great tree. However, it became clear, that my imagination, my ability to craft, or both are lacking. The trunk is contrived; it does not complement the quality of the ivy, which can be exceptionally gnarly. The tree has only two clear fronts and its construction is mechanical if not mathematical. If bonsai, in its highest form, is an imitation of nature, then this may be one step removed; an imitation of bonsai. Perhaps over time the habit of ivy will put a rosy flesh and wise polish on top of this bastardized frame.

Colin

Attachments

• 1455.jpg
    1455.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1458.jpg
    1458.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 1478.jpg
    1478.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 60
  • 1485.jpg
    1485.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 53

clic8991

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Let me know what you think and if you have any pointers on getting the Ivy to fuse.

Attachments

• 1489.jpg
    1489.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1493.jpg
    1493.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 1494.jpg
    1494.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1502.jpg
    1502.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 75

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If bonsai, in its highest form, is an imitation of nature, then this may be one step removed; an imitation of bonsai. Perhaps over time the habit of ivy will put a rosy flesh and wise polish on top of this bastardized frame.

Colin

....well if nothing else you have a great command of the english language........

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
You may find interesting the ideas surrounding what the Japanese term Tanuki or "phoenix grafts" which incorporates the concept of bonsai creation from two sources; one source being dead wood. By utilizing the dead wood as the focal point of the composition, you then fashion the live portions from malleable material-in your case Ivy.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
To create a good Tanuki you are on the right road....
To Make a Great Tanuki you need to read all the postings by Behr Appleby aka Grampz...
Irene

Top Bottom