Bonsai From The wild by Nick Lenz

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking for this book.
Anyone maybe selling this or know where to buy for reasonable price??

Attachments

• bonsai from the wild.jpg
    bonsai from the wild.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 21

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had this book, I believe I bought it from stonelantern.com. I gave the book away because although it's really well done it's strictly regional to Nicks home turf which is Michigan. Not very relevant to my area of SW Oregon as none of the trees discussed grow here. I was looking for more general collecting info dos and don'ts.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
gave it away?!🤯 i keep seeing this book for many hundreds of dollars, is that a normal price for it??

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
gave it away?!🤯 i keep seeing this book for many hundreds of dollars, is that a normal price for it??

It wasnt. I guess its out of print now and someone is capitalizing on the authors name.
I have the book and I certainly didnt pay hundreds of dollars for it.
Before anyone asks, its not for sale

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I have it too somewhere in the library. I have seen this pop up as part of broader sets of books for sale. Certainly not as must-have collectable.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
between loving to do things in quirky different ways and having dived into larches, i would love a copy of this book. if anyone hears of one for says for a reasonable price, i would love to buy one.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
between loving to do things in quirky different ways and having dived into larches, i would love a copy of this book. if anyone hears of one for says for a reasonable price, i would love to buy one.
R U below the 49th?

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
45°30' I do understand that some of the info would not directly apply (or was that your way of asking if I was in the states but you just couldn't bring yourself to say our country's name these days)

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got to read it and take some notes through an inter-library loan.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
45°30' I do understand that some of the info would not directly apply (or was that your way of asking if I was in the states but you just couldn't bring yourself to say our country's name these days)
Ahh south of Portland. I really enjoyed the book, there is so much great information and inspiration. The basic strategies he show can easily be adjusted to ones locality and circumstances. Donated mine to our club library.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had this book, I believe I bought it from stonelantern.com. I gave the book away because although it's really well done it's strictly regional to Nicks home turf which is Michigan. Not very relevant to my area of SW Oregon as none of the trees discussed grow here. I was looking for more general collecting info dos and don'ts.
I own the book. As a review I would agree with @RKatzin . It should probably not be titled "Bonsai from the Wild". Rather, I would title it "Yamadori in Michigan". And it is pretty specific about what it covers. All love and respect for Nick Lenz as a bonsai pioneer and innovator, but if you were thinking of buying this book as a specific primer for collecting and then transforming trees from the wild... this is not the book. It almost reads as something he might have written as a guide for his fellow bonsai enthusiasts in the state - and specifically about species and collecting protocols in Michigan. It does not fit into my top 50% of bonsai books in my library.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It should probably not be titled "Bonsai from the Wild". Rather, I would title it "Yamadori in Michigan".
from what i have seen from the book, i would agree with your impression of it. and in part that is actually why i would like it. I would really like to hear more in depth about his experience with larches and i enjoy his over all style significantly.

Lots of local talent there.
yes there is, I'm really looking forward to meeting and learning from the vibrant community here. While I'm a Oregon native (and actually lived here in portland the early 90's) I have been relocating like it was an olympic sport for the last 20 years and am just settling back here and becoming homeowners for the long term.
likewise, as with most good hobbies, being a military family was not very conducive to bonsai, so while my interest and theoretical study of the craft goes quite a ways back also, its only in the last few years that i have gotten to get my hands dirty again.

i did have the awesome lucky to be posted in DC and our National Orchid Society meetings were held at the arboretum, and our annual show was housed with the bonsai garden there, it was stunning

Top Bottom