Bonsai Fungus

Bonsai_Jon

Sapling
Reaction score
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In winter I think it's good. I don't like lime sulfur in summer. The lime will actually shrivel leaves. It's too hot.

Thanks Al. I was thinking specifically of dormant season application. Appreciate your thoughts

I apply Sulfur throughout the growing(warm) season here the break the cedar rust cycle but not anyway I have be told to. I mix 2 tablespoons of Sulfur powder to 1 gallon of water. After a good rain or watering I water it into the soil 3 - 5 times a year at most. The results after one year on all fruits I have has been excellent. I left one tree untreated last year and treated several others. The untreated has rust bad while the others show no sign :) Although having preached it here in the past it gets ignored but makes no difference to me as the Wife thinks it is pretty damn awesome. Seems the trees think so too!

Grimmy

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Smoke Could you please reply to a question of mine which bothers me due to a problem I am facing https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/ailing-cotoneaster.28663/#post-476517
In view that you are in California (hot/very hot), let's suppose that the temperature is not favourable for applying any treatment to your ailing tree. What would you do in that case?
Thank you in advance.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it's a fungal issue daconil can be applied year round. In summer sulphur dust can be applied also as well as copper fungicides. Trees should be checked for compatibility with copper though. Some trees can't tolerate it. Lime sulphur should be reserved for dormancy without leaves.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have not. Just daconil or sulphur dust. I use the copper on pines though for needle cast.

My favorite used to be benomyl.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't find it anymore. Must be off the shelves

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
or bleach... ...
On IBC there were some posts of members who suggested submerging the rootball of the tree into a solution of bleach and water.
The problem had to do with some kind of fungus attack.... I do not recall what exactly it was, though.... nor the ratio of the solution

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What would you say caused the yellow in these Japanese maple leaves? The brown spots may be Japanese Beatles, they've been eating some of my trees lately..

Attachments

• IMG_2801.JPG
    IMG_2801.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 62

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have a flowering crabapple in my front yard which developed yellow dots on the tops of its leaves, like one might get from spider mites. I sprayed with a 3-in-1 product a month ago, but didn't get back to it until this past weekend. I was appalled to find the backs of the leaves covered with pustules, and significant die-back and leaf drop taking place. Turns out I have cedar apple rust fungus, or gymnosporangium. It starts with an infection in junipers, and the spores spread on the wind to opportunistic hosts, mostly variants of apple, and then back to junipers again. I've been told that an infected juniper within two miles could be the source. I cut back the infected branches as much as I could, and sprayed the crap out of the now-much-more-open crown. When the leaves drop, I have to gather them and bag them to keep from reinfecting the tree in the spring. Thank God I haven't graduated to junipers or other conifers yet. The image on the left is what I found on the crabapple. The image on the right is of the gelatinous telial horns that appear on the juniper and spread the spores.
CedarApple_Rust169.jpg 6-08-11 BOB junipers.jpg

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Smoke thank you for this informative post. I have been treating my Lito hime Japanese maple, Korean Hornbeam, Seiju elm, trident maple, and Carpinous Carolina(blue beech) with Daconal three times since this thread started. I picked up some cooper spray by Bonde yesterday and looked over all of the trees today. I removed any remaining leaves infected with fungus and treated with all the trees with the cooper.

The leaves that were removed were all older interior leaves. On all of trees, the new growth was clean of fungus and starting to harden off for the fall.

So thank you for sharing your experience with us newer people and solving a big problem for me.

I feel my trees will be much healthier next year for following your advice.

Top Bottom