Bonsai Gardens of Japan, or... How I Spent My Summer Vacation

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It wasn't a bonsai themed trip, but it was certainly at the top of my list of things to do. I made the obligatory pilgrimage to Omiya, but I had the most interest in seeing the gardens of Kimura, Kobayashi and Suzuki. Luckily, my travels took me to Nagano Prefecture, where Suzuki is located, because his garden is one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen. And they were closed the day I went - had to talk my way in using Google Translate!

We'll start with Omiya Bonsai Museum and Omiya Bonsai Village:
fullsizeoutput_22ac.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22ad.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22ae.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22af.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22b0.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22b1.jpeg
DSC02745.JPG
In the main courtyard, you weren't allowed to take photos as you pleased, only from one slightly elevated gazebo near the center... strange rules.
fullsizeoutput_22b2.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_22b3.jpeg

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_22b6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_22b6.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 20

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
incredible. thanks for sharing.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I recognize at least a couple of trees that I first viewed for the first time over 20 years ago. Before the internet was a thing, you either had to see them in person (I'll get there eventually :)) or own a bonsai magazine... Bonsai Today was my choice back then. These are the trees that really set the bonsai hook in me and there isn't really anything over here (yet) that rivals them. From what I can tell, they continue to age well. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures... fantastic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom