Bonsai Gift

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi everyone,

I have not been on for a while, a lot been going on. All of the bonsai I’ve been trying to grow from seed died. I kind of gave up for a while. However, today, Christmas day, I received some gifts from my father. Six different tree seed packets, and an oak sapling. I am attaching pictures.

5BD26236-CB20-4348-99EB-C41BA8C2E9E7.jpeg

F6922C6D-3A2A-43B2-B4C4-D1777194C077.jpeg

I plan on transferring the oak outside in the spring, because as you can see outside, we have a lot of snow. As for the seed packets, I sorted them by growing zone. The two in the top left are my growing zone, 6a. I plan on starting these in spring 2022. The two on the bottom are tropical, I can start them anytime indoors. The two in the upper right, I’m actually not sure. Trying to figure out their growing zone.

Because I’ve received these gifts, I decided not to give up on the bonsai hobby. I want to keep trying.

Anyway, I have two questions. First question, does anyone know the growing zone for the 2 seed packets in the upper right? Second, does anyone have any recommendations for a beginner at growing bonsai from seed? I know I asked this before, but I feel like asking it again.

I know it will take several years, but I can be patient. Like I said, I want to keep trying.

Happy holidays,

Jared

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They'll all take a lifetime to develop... but the journey will be fun

Actuality the crape could make something in half a life time

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good decision on sticking it out. While growing bonsai from cuttings is a journey, growing bonsai from seed is a journey of a lifetime plus a couple more years.

Actually not as bad as that, as the first thing any hobbyist might learn imo, is horticulture. To do this one has to work on learning the keywords to help you research. So keywords would be "....hardiness zone and ....horticulture.

There are a lot of folks here that grow plentiful amounts of trees from seeds, yet I'll only name a couple. Instead, please use the search bar and look up keywords like growing from seeds contest, or just seedlings. @Pittoon is one of many really experienced folks. @cmeg1 is a rapidly becoming a master of advanced horticultural techniques

The redwood seeds appear to be from both (see data in green links) Giant Sequoias and Coastal Redwoods. The Crepe Myrtle I don't know if this is a mixed lot.
All three and a couple others might have issues in the Boise heat without help.

The best thing you might do is to contact the Boise Bonsai Society. They will have folks expert on growing in your area. It looks like BBS ha a meeting soon, Jan 6th.

Good Luck!
DSD sends

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool! I also got a ton of seeds. I've already got a bunch in the fridge I collected a month ago, but I'm really excited to try a few more.
I get excited starting seeds too. When I got into growing trees I didn't think I would ever deal with seeds because it takes forever but, after collecting and starting seeds this winter I'm hooked. Pretty sure I'll start seeds every winter from now on to keep myself occupied through the winter.

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you all.

I apologize, but I failed to update my location on my profile after I moved. I am now in zone 6a in Dietrich, Idaho.

thank you for the advice. I’m in a hurry to get the church, so I will post more later.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi everyone,

I have not been on for a while, a lot been going on. All of the bonsai I’ve been trying to grow from seed died. I kind of gave up for a while. However, today, Christmas day, I received some gifts from my father. Six different tree seed packets, and an oak sapling. I am attaching pictures.

View attachment 413456

View attachment 413457

I plan on transferring the oak outside in the spring, because as you can see outside, we have a lot of snow. As for the seed packets, I sorted them by growing zone. The two in the top left are my growing zone, 6a. I plan on starting these in spring 2022. The two on the bottom are tropical, I can start them anytime indoors. The two in the upper right, I’m actually not sure. Trying to figure out their growing zone.

Because I’ve received these gifts, I decided not to give up on the bonsai hobby. I want to keep trying.

Anyway, I have two questions. First question, does anyone know the growing zone for the 2 seed packets in the upper right? Second, does anyone have any recommendations for a beginner at growing bonsai from seed? I know I asked this before, but I feel like asking it again.

I know it will take several years, but I can be patient. Like I said, I want to keep trying.

Happy holidays,

Jared
Growing from seed can be very rewarding but requires a lot of patience and long periods of time just observing. I would suggest you obtain a tree or two to actually work with in the meantime. This does not need to involve a lot of expense. Consider collecting, donations from the landscape no longer needed or the discard pile at the local nursery. Attend a local bonsai meeting and let it be known you are looking for material to practise on. Many club members will be happy to pass on extra material to a beginner.

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi everyone, I have one question that I forgot to ask. When you start seeds indoors, how long does the plant stay indoors before transferring it outside? One year? Two years? Three?

Jared

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It depends on the plant. (The classic bonsai answer btw! 😉)

For most folks the goal is to harden off outdoor trees as soon as these can take the weather. Germinate indoors and harden off sometime in spring if the growth is healthy.

Or germinate outdoors and skip this step. 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

Jnicholes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You know, I can see how that is the classic Bonsai answer. Thanks for the tip. I will figure out what the individual plant needs, and then figure it out.

Top Bottom