Bonsai grafting knife

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Japanese grafters use a different type of knife from those typically used by western propagators but that's not specific to bonsai. The Japanese chisel style grafting knife may be slightly better to graft hard to reach branches but you can use any type of grafting knife for most purposes.
Don't buy the cheapest you can find. I got some cheap ones for a grafting class but the blades were so thin and flexible they did not cut properly and were downright dangerous.
I have a Victorinox Budding Knife that does most of the work but I've also made a few from old bandsaw blades that work quite well.
There is a wide range of blade shapes but it seems the blade shapes are mostly personal preference and you'll probably get used to using any shape with some practice.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a Victorinox Budding Knife that does most of the work but I've also made a few from old bandsaw blades that work quite well.
I can make something from an old hacksaw blade , but nothing like the real thing

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you don't want to spring for a real grafting knife, a good razor knife will probably cut it.. pun intended. I've seen videos of good artists that work with a stack of razors, clean with alcohol between uses, change out frequently.

B

Last edited:

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Seems like every knife I get I end up loosing . Bought one two weeks ago and now I can’t find it

Top Bottom