Bonsai has me "styling" every tree I see...

DavidBoren

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Since I have some material to mess with, I find myself mentally chopping random trees I see on the side of the road on the way to/from work. It's kind of ridiculous, as I am very new to bonsai [in general]. It is good "practice", as the trees are large/mature, and it is easy to see where one would cut [if said trees was a bonsai tree]. If nothing more, it is good mental masterbation on an otherwise boring AF drive.

Does anyone else find themself doing this? Or is it simply a byproduct of my overactive mind?

I had a summer job at a tree farm as a teenager for booze money... literally picking weeds from seed beds with a spoon. After a while working there, you would "see" these weeds superimposed over freaking everything... in the carpet, the shower curtain, your blankets... the image of these tiny weeds haunted you every moment, even in your dreams.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
LOL, I always do that, I think it is normal if you have a creative mind for making bonsai art, I am either looking at trees to see how I could make them look like a bonsai or admiring the natural bonsai look it has already and thinking how I can reproduce that in a little tree. 😊

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty sure that's normal. Maybe I fades after years of doing bonsai idk. Right now every time my wife is driving I feel like a dog sticking their head out the window tongue flapping in the wind checking out every cool stick they see.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I've been known to mentally 'improve' random trees too.
You should also try to capture genuine growth patterns of different species. Rather than turning the trees into 'bonsai', look at the actual shapes of real trees and try to see patterns of growth. Every species has a slightly different form, shape or branch pattern. When you really get your eye in you can pick some species from a distance whether they have leaves or not.
For good 'natural' bonsai we can apply those growth patterns to our developing trees to produce more realistic bonsai versions instead of the S shaped Chinese elm and junipers or elms and Japanese maples with down swept branches that are so common with beginners.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I haven't mentally styled trees around the neighborhood but there was a period of time that I really studied the branching of particularly older trees.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why yes. Do that all the time , even old shrubs in peoples front yards. After all bonsai is nature in miniature and is inspired off nature or an idealized form

Top Bottom