Bonsai Haul!

keyfen06

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all. Today was the Shohin Exhibition in Doncaster, where there were some absolutely lovely trees put on display. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of them as I was busy going around all the stalls! There were something around 120 traders there I believe, and there was quite a selection to pick from (although, unfortunately there was no Satsuki Azaleas which bummed me out). Nevertheless, I still picked up seven trees which I look forward to working on.

Quince.PNG A quince. I had been looking for one for a while, it was slightly expensive (£15) however I didn't mind paying it as I'd probably use it for cuttings and try to make something nice out of it.

Quince2.PNG Although, after getting home I noticed some pretty bad inverse taper. I plan to chop it off and hopefully make the branch on the right the new leader. Anyone able to advise me when the best time to do this chop on a quince is?

Pyracantha.PNG A pyracantha. It was quite cheap at £10, and has some good movement in the trunk. It's got a ton of berries on and seems quite healthy, so I picked it up. Definitely has some good potential.
Itoigawa.PNG Something for you conifer fans - an Itoigawa Juniper. Admittedly, I probably shouldn't have picked this up as I am absolutely terrible with conifers and don't understand at all how they grow / pruning methods. I'll definitely do some research on it, but for £20 an Itoigawa Juniper seemed worth it to me.

Itoigawa2.PNG A closer view of the trunk - the branches still seem quite pliable so I'll definitely get some wire on it soon enough. However, I don't have any copper wire - can I use aluminium wire since it's still quite young? Any advice on how you would develop this juniper would be appreciated.
Hornbeam.PNG A hornbeam for £5. I've never owned a hornbeam, and there's a tiny bit of movement at the bottom. I was thinking of chopping it nearer to the bottom - to develop taper and to get some movement in with a new leader. I'd love to ground grow half of these trees, however I have no more space in the raised bed near the fence which has already got a white alder growing in it and I don't think my mother would be too supportive of planting it on the grass. I'll just make sure to keep it in a big pot but refrain from overpotting it drastically.

Conifer.PNG Not entirely sure on what this is. I'm thinking a Larch, but I completely forgot what the seller said - I'd just wanted to experiment with conifers as I don't own a lot. Not completely sure on what I'll do with this one yet, I'll probably just let it grow for a few years and stick some wire on it soon and see what I can do with it. Only £1!
Conifer2.PNG A spruce. Only cost £2, so I thought why not! I've heard spruce can be quite challenging as bonsai though - has anyone else had experience with spruce? Again with the (larch?) I'll just let it grow for a few years and put some wire on it to explore my options.
Beech.PNG Lastly, I believe this is a Beech if I heard the buyer correctly. It's quite nice and I instantly took a liking to it. Again with the other trees, I'll stick some wire on it and see where I can go with it. There's a crossing branch at the top that definitely needs removing, but it's not too thick so it shouldn't leave that much of a scar. Was meant to be £20, but he gave me it for £10! I guess that's a benefit of being young in the bonsai hobby.

Attachments

• Beech2.PNG
    Beech2.PNG
    113.2 KB · Views: 52

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks pretty typical of the type of material you can pick up at these car bootys. few bits of solid starter trees to keep you busy there. Ground growing is fun if you get into that and rewarding.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi Keyfen, Doncaster was an enjoyable show today, lots of material and a few very nice pots. Your larch looks more like a scots pine, but hard to tell from the photos, can't go wrong for £1 though! If the needles yellow and drop off it could be a larch :)

Spruce - wire any shoots you want to keep/ direct while they are green and they'll keep their position. Hard to wire after that.

keyfen06

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Keyfen, Doncaster was an enjoyable show today, lots of material and a few very nice pots. Your larch looks more like a scots pine, but hard to tell from the photos, can't go wrong for £1 though! If the needles yellow and drop off it could be a larch :)

Spruce - wire any shoots you want to keep/ direct while they are green and they'll keep their position. Hard to wire after that.
Thanks for the advice! In all honesty, I would prefer a Scot's Pine over a Larch anyway. Did you pick up anything nice today?

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I restrained myself from buying, but I was sorely tempted by a couple of fine pots! Had some good chats with people. I'm also looking to see whether I should try and get a table for selling some of my pre-bonsai next year.

keyfen06

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I restrained myself from buying, but I was sorely tempted by a couple of fine pots! Had some good chats with people. I'm also looking to see whether I should try and get a table for selling some of my pre-bonsai next year.
Seems like a lot of the people I knew were trying to restrain themselves from buying - still saw them leave with a few items though haha. Would be amazing to set up your own table for your pre-bonsai! Nothing better than more trees to pick from.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I restrained myself from buying
a lot of the people I knew were trying to restrain themselves
When I was the staff horticulturist for a large development firm, one of the VPs had a carved plaque on his desk that said "Budgets are for Wimps."
But that was in the Days of Reagan and trickle down economics.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's lovely, I grew up enjoying the same under Thatcher. We're now living the dream of Trussonomics, so we should have bought the Imperial size yamadori, we'll need it for this winters firewood!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Without wishing to derail with dreary politics, here are some photos of trees at the show in recompense. It was a small affair, mostly Shohin but some lovely little trees.

Best evergreen, JBP:
20220925_120029.jpg20220925_110125.jpg
I'm sure this was a Spruce, tiny needles, 4mm?
20220925_105816.jpg

20220925_105715.jpg20220925_105636.jpg
Best Deciduous:
20220925_105529.jpg

This JWP, i think the branches were grafted onto JBP:
20220925_105521.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A closer view of the trunk - the branches still seem quite pliable so I'll definitely get some wire on it soon enough. However, I don't have any copper wire - can I use aluminium wire since it's still quite young? Any advice on how you would develop this juniper would be appreciated.
Copper/aluminium does not matter. It is all about strength, not what sort of wire. Al wire will bend a branch just as well as Cu but you'll need thicker Al to hold the branch compared to Cu.
I love the look of really wild, contorted junipers so I start with young trunks, wire and bend into really contorted shapes. Then let them thicken for 5-10 years before styling. Simple and quick.
Some recent threads here:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/restyle-shimpaku.57261/
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/another-shimapku-first-real-styling.57387/
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/time-to-start-styling-shimpaku.57145/

and another showing early stages
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/more-twisted-shimpaku.47546/

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Without wishing to derail with dreary politics, here are some photos of trees at the show in recompense. It was a small affair, mostly Shohin buView attachment 457072
Not to derail the thread but curious what everyone's thoughts are on this display? Trying to spend more time looking at and evaluating displays. I feel like the accent takes away from the tree in this situation. Super cool Juniper (i think) which seems like it would have done better with a smaller/shorter accent.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Not to derail the thread but curious what everyone's thoughts are on this display? Trying to spend more time looking at and evaluating displays. I feel like the accent takes away from the tree in this situation. Super cool Juniper (i think) which seems like it would have done better with a smaller/shorter accent.

If those two were the only trees in the space, then yes, but small trees, Shohin, are displayed in groups, the "rules" are different. The overall photo is one approach.

A more typical approach would be a box stand with 4 or more positions, and then a tree and an accent to one side of the box stand.

There is a whole cult of Bonsai Display, it can get quite "in depth" or nuanced with various techniques.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

If the needles drop off its either a Larch or dead 😀
I suspect not larch though...

keyfen06

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Another haul! Last night was the local bonsai club's auction night, and this was my 2nd one. There's always absolute bargains here, and I thought I'd show off some of the trees and pots I acquired.

IMG_5554.jpgIMG_5555.jpgIMG_5556.jpgIMG_5557.jpg

1st on the left - A maple (£1). I can't remember the exact variety it was, but it's one similar to Shishigashira.
2nd on the left - A chinese elm (£1). I picked this one because it has a lovely bend in it and the pot is also quite nice. There's some quite intricate wiring on it already, so I'll have to think of how I want to develop it further.
3rd along - A juniper (£11). I believe it's just an ordinary English garden juniper. It's got a lovely twist in it, the only problem is I have a bad track record with conifers. If anyone could give me some information on how to care for it, or direct me to some good resources about Junipers that would be appreciated. I know that Eisei-en and Bonsai Mirai have some good resources, so I'll have to spend some time watching and reading. I was advised to air-layer or chop under that branch that juts out near the bottom on the left, using that as the new leader. Would a thick gauge of aluminum wire be fine or do I need to use copper?

IMG_5558.jpgIMG_5559.jpgIMG_5560.jpgIMG_5561.jpg

1st on the left - A hawthorn (£1). I've wanted a hawthorn for a while now, so I thought I might as well pick one up. I've tried to grow them from seed before, but unfortunately they seem to be quite hard to germinate compared to the crabapples and quince I've been growing.
2nd on the left - A chinese elm cutting (50p). I think I may wire this one into a cascade style.
3rd along - A hosta that I got for free. It looks beautiful and it'll do good as an accent plant, though I don't really have any trees to display nor do I understand how to use accent plants effectively yet!
4th along - An Amur maple (£1). My plan is to probably just stick this one in the ground and let it grow for a few years. (That's if the dog's don't dig it up first)

Now, onto the pots.

IMG_5563.jpgIMG_5562.jpgIMG_5564.jpgIMG_5565.jpgIMG_5566.jpg

I should probably invest in a better background rather than the washing machine.

1st from the left - A simple Chinese terracotta cascade pot (£1-3?)
2nd from the left - A biggish Chinese pot (£3-5?)
3rd from the left - A Mica pot (£5) I'll likely put a juniper in this one.
4th from the left - A Japanese nursery training pot (£1-3?). One of my azaleas will likely go into this.
5th from the left - A pot by someone European I believe (£1-3?). Not the most aesthetically appealing, but it's somewhat deep.

IMG_5567.jpgIMG_5568.jpg

These are the pots I'm most excited about.

The one on the left is a China Mist pot (£50) which was recommended to me by the chairman who sold me the juniper. Apparently it would pair very well, and I can't wait to get it into this - though I don't want to rush anything. The juniper still has lots of development to go (especially with me as the owner)

The one on the right is a Tony Remington pot (£25). This was custom-made for someone's azalea, but unfortunately it died. Now I'm the owner! Hopefully any tree I put in here will not meet the same fate, especially if it's an azalea.

IMG_5569.jpg

And perhaps the best bargain of all, a large bag of Sphagnum Moss for £1. Maybe I'll use it to air-layer the juniper.

There was also a pyracantha which I forgot to take a picture of, but it's not really anything special and it's quite small (£1!). Already been stabbed a few times by it.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice haul well done, loving them narthern prices as well! :cool:

You should be fine with aluminium wire, it is easier to work with for beginners and you can always double up neatly. Copper is not so common over here and its expensive. I like the aluminium wire that has a coppery looking coating vs the black https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/bonsai-training-craft-wire-500g-1

Top Bottom