Bonsai Healthy?

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, perhaps some of you would remember me as the guy who freaked out over his bonsai being dead. Well, I'm at it again. This time, as I review pictures of it from months ago, I have, indeed, noticed that the foliage is must lighter green. I have attached pics of the bonsai in hopes that you all are not nescient of its condition. First of all, I scratched it and the flesh of it is green and smells very strongly (does this have any factor in its overall health?) So you might notice the semi-dry soil. That is because I replanted it in less compacted soil - the other soil probably retained way to much water because it was so dense (is it bad that I did it when I did?)
So overall, I'm just curious if it is dead; I have had this tree for almost two years.DSC01284.jpgDSC01283.jpgDSC01282.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lighter green foliage color could be caused by a number of things. One, as berobinson implied, is a lack of nitrogen fertilizer. While you may be giving it, the organics in your soil might be using it up before your plant can get it. Second, junipers in all day, full sun will have a washed out color compared to ones that are partially shaded. This is especially true if you live in the deep south. Third, your new soil is dry, while your old soil is wet. So don't use the dryness of the top of your new soil to guide you when to water. Use a chopstick or wooden skewer to determine soil moisture about an inch below the surface, but not on the bottom of the pot. Last, it may be stressed. When did you repot? (was it the right time of year) Have you pruned recently? (if you repotted out of season, leave the plant alone this year) Are you moving it around frequently?

Good luck.

Last edited:

surfkicker

Seedling
Reaction score
Lighter green foliage color could be caused by a number of things. One, as berobinson implied, is a lack of nitrogen fertilizer. While you may be giving it, the organics in your soil might be using it up before your plant can get it. Second, junipers in all day, full sun will have a washed out color compared to ones that are partially shaded. This is especially true if you live in the deep south. Third, your new soil is dry, while your old soil is wet. So don't use the dryness of the top of your new soil to guide you when to water. Use a chopstick or wooden skewer to determine soil moisture about an inch below the surface, but not on the bottom of the pot. Last, it may be stressed. When did you repot? (was it the right time of year) Have you pruned recently? (if you repotted out of season, leave the plant alone this year) Are you moving it around frequently?

Good luck.

I live in Oklahoma actually. I repotted only five days ago; merely out of fear of root rot. But I found that the roots looked okay, so I replanted it. And keep in mind, it looks - in real life - much paler than this picture. Almost on its way to being yellow. Do you think it will be okay?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If the color in the second photo is accurate, it is likely dead. It could be from drying out for more than a day or two, or it could be from mites. Hold a sheet of paper under the foliage and tap the foliage from above. If present, mites will fall onto the paper and move.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When that juniper is that color, I think I have a solid guess.

Top Bottom