Bonsai Hut

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I'm new to the Art of Bonsai. I had a old dog pen just sitting in my backyard, this is what I decided to do with it. It will have morning to mid afternoon sunlight. Any ideas or suggestions to make my new refuge better? Ideas for the floor, so I don't have to keep cutting the grass?

image.jpg

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the grass is good, you don't have to clean the floor when u make a mess with soil spilling. Also the grass will stay short because you will spend the rest of you life in there :rolleyes:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the grass is good, you don't have to clean the floor when u make a mess with soil spilling. Also the grass will stay short because you will spend the rest of you life in there :rolleyes:

Like an inmate stuck in the yard.

Hey Cypress, someone posted a link to almanac dot com. I checked my frost dates and It said my growing season is 187 days. Ha this season is going to murder my trees!

I'd plant something on the floor. Veggies? Maybe a bunch of random seeds for accent plants?

The runoff fert and water is gonna keep that grass at eye level!

"Man gets stuck in dogpen by unruly grass while playing with trees"

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you don't want grass. Use a herbicide to kill the grass. Then put a couple of layers of landscape fabric down with staples. Then several inches of gravel. You may need to put side boards down to keep the gravel in. And remember that the gravel will change the climate, temepture. You also could run a water line into the enclosure. And of course pictures of bonsai, penjing and saikei on the walls.

Reaction score
I would build to keep theives out hahaha! I like the idea of keeping the grass tho - a good point above saves cleaning up spilled soil and such :)

Though if buy/grow lots more bonsai, you will need to expand!

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I already have plans to add a shelf around it. One table is going to come out once that is done. More trees are definitely in the future....

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like it 'cause your bonsai won't escape AND you might not have to deal with squirrels. I say replace the grass with gravel.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I would just feel a little odd walking into a cage every time I wanted to see or work on my trees. Like I was stepping into a UFC match rather than my peaceful hobby. Maybe that's just me though. It sounds like you have a plan and have been bitten by the bug. Have fun!

Shorty54

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would just feel a little odd walking into a cage every time I wanted to see or work on my trees. Like I was stepping into a UFC match rather than my peaceful hobby. Maybe that's just me though. It sounds like you have a plan and have been bitten by the bug. Have fun!

Lol....I have stepped into a octagon & a few rings in my life. I'm still involved with MMA & love the sport. I now will call it my Bonsai Squared Cirle....the cage & ring relaxes me.

Top Bottom