Bonsai Hydroponics

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not wanting to hijack the great thread that @cmeg1 has created. I thought that I would share my attempt at reproducing what he's done and share it with the community.

20220416_072306.jpg

I'm intrigued by the use of kelp so decided to give it a go with the cuttings. I took a pinch into around 2 liters of water to soak the cuttings before dipping in root hormone.

20220416_073359.jpg

I made the cuttings trying what he suggested using an exacto knife but it was not as good as a razor blade. So based on my experience definitely I will be going forward with a razor blade. Cheaper and much more effective for getting a clean cut.

20220416_074207.jpg

Used 70% alcohol to keep things clean as much as possible. The cuttings were off seeds I managed to sprout this last spring.

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20220416_074413.jpg
Used tumeric as a cutting surface but a carrot will suffice. This helps keep the blade sharp.
20220416_082627.jpg

Half the tray is with regular hormone powder and the other Clonex. It's super expensive here in Israel so I really hope to see a big difference with the results otherwise I'll just stick with the powder. This was the test for setting if kelp powder soak does anything

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My other test was to simply see if Clonex would be enough using 1 inch Rock wool cubes. I soaked them in the kelp water a little more diluted. Unfortunately I didn't have Reverse Osmosis Water or a pH meter. These are definitely improvements I hope to add in the future

20220416_083117.jpg

20220416_085932.jpg

20220416_091033.jpg

I'm going to put these in my outdoor greenhouse. I'm trying to do this as much with natural light as possible. Although I will try to replicate the grow tent in time

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This was the test for setting if kelp powder soak does anything
It is good to see growers trying to check results from different treatments. Most tests are just - this works so must be the only way.
However.....
How does this test check if Kelp does anything? Sounds like this tests the difference between clonex and powder hormone and then the difference between perlite and rockwool as a medim.

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is good to see growers trying to check results from different treatments. Most tests are just - this works so must be the only way.
However.....
How does this test check if Kelp does anything? Sounds like this tests the difference between clonex and powder hormone and then the difference between perlite and rockwool as a medim.

You're absolutely right. I had the intention of testing the difference between using and not using kelp. I guess this will have to be in the future. I am still getting everything up and running. Waiting for the stuff to arrive. So as you said, this will be more of a test between clones and normal root hormone and also between rockwool and the perlite : pumice mix that I am using. I even soaked the rockwool in the water from the kelp. Will need to actually sit down and plan the tests each time a bit better. I guess this is part of the learning process. I also have so many variables at the moment that waren't constant such and temperature and humidity that these will be more effective tests once I can start honing in on the specific tests of the products.

tangledtanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom