Bonsai ID and Advice

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

New here. Great resource, and happy to be a part of it.

I got given this guy about 12 months ago and have been doing my best to maintain and shape.

20201120_140719.jpg

Wondering if anyone can potentially ID the type of tree, im assuming some kind of juniper? Im wondering the rough age of the tree also. And also potentially give some advice for further defining pads to grow. Do I need to just let it be for a while and grow some more dense foliage? The new buds seem to stretch out quite a lot.

Look forward to hearing back,

Jason.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please add location to profile. Not likely any Juniper. Possibly Dwarf Alberta Spruce?
Guess age 5-10 years old and needs many years free growth in ground or grow box to develop trunk. Unless wanting mame or mini Bonsai way too early to develop pads or refinement.

Reaction score
Please add location to profile. Not likely any Juniper. Possibly Dwarf Alberta Spruce?
Guess age 5-10 years old and needs many years free growth in ground or grow box to develop trunk. Unless wanting mame or mini Bonsai way too early to develop pads or refinement.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm in Queensland Australia, hot and tropical. I was thinking maybe a Shore Juniper? Good info about further growth required, I'll look into what a grow box is. So no wiring, trimming, or repotting recommended for a few years?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The needles look to be a bit big for shore juniper but there's not really any scale in the pic so hard to accurately judge size.
It is a bit hard to properly see the arrangement of needles and growth from that one shot. If you can get some good, clear closer shots of a couple of the shoots that will help with ID.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Periodic replanting to keep roots reasonably compact is good. Also some trimming to begin developing desired style if chosen yet. This judicious trimming should include energy balancing to assure strength goes to desired areas of tree. All important is to grow
sacrifice branch or apex for trunk development.;)

Reaction score
Periodic replanting to keep roots reasonably compact is good. Also some trimming to begin developing desired style if chosen yet. This judicious trimming should include energy balancing to assure strength goes to desired areas of tree. All important is to grow
sacrifice branch or apex for trunk development.;)
Okay great. So to clarify:

- Repot into grow box (it was only repotted in Aug, how long should I wait?)
- Periodically root trim and replant into same grow box?
- Trim and wire judiciously throughout year into desired semi cascade shape.

I'm not sure any new growth will occur lower down for sacrificial branching.

Apologies, still very new to this despite a tonne of reading.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Okay great. So to clarify:

- Repot into grow box (it was only repotted in Aug, how long should I wait?)
- Periodically root trim and replant into same grow box?
- Trim and wire judiciously throughout year into desired semi cascade shape.

I'm not sure any new growth will occur lower down for sacrificial branching.

Apologies, still very new to this despite a tonne of reading.
I’m not sure if I’d take any of the advice given to you so far as “gold-standard”. You have a species of tree and live in an area that are not familiar to many on this sub.

My advice would be to focus on keeping it alive. Looks like a fun little tree. Seek out a bonsai club in your area and/or professionals from Australia to learn from.

And if you are enjoying Bonsai, consider buying more trees;)

Cheers!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom