bonsai identification

Reaction score
Hey guys, I never had a bonsai before just started studying about them a few days ago. Today I found this in my local store no name attached.

Can you guys please identify it for me so I can start studying what I need to do with him, I don't believe he is a bonsai yet, so I would also like to know what to do next with him, so he won't die on me.

here it is:
25gc579.jpg

I will come back later,

Jason

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't mind the folks that come(Or not) and say it can't be a bonsai.

The bulby roots are what they are.

I'd air layer the top off, or start some cuttings.

I'll be back too, by then you'll probably have about 35-700 more trees. Outside!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
You are the man Cypress! I am the noob one...

So finally I know what it is , a Ficus.

-Now first thing first, should I repot it now or wait for summer?

-Second, the pot should be a small typical bonsai pot or one big enough for a noob like me?

I understand that in the summer I should do the pruning, and cutting.

- And what about wiring folks? I should hang myself , because I have no clue what to whire..

And nutrition, I think I got that covered.

One more pic for inspiration :
2143wx0.jpg

Ps: Sorce, don't call me to crazyland please, I just don't have the time for all..

And btw I didn't understand what you suggested with the " air layer the top off". May you please explain that to me?

Nice to meet you guys!

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Air-layering wouldn't be my first thing to try for a beginner, but basicly it's a technique to grow new roots not on the groud but 'in the air', so above the soil where sorce marked. To do this you can pack sphagnum moss (and/or in combination with soil or a container) on that area. Most of times it's only moss sealed against the trunk with plastic bag/alu foil.

Im also a beginner but here is what i understand:

-Should I repot it now or wait for summer?:Most tree's are repotted before they 'grow' in spring, this is a tropical plant so it is possible to repot maybe.
-Second, the pot should be a small typical bonsai pot or one big enough for a noob like me?: How smaller the pot how faster they dry out and slower they grow.
-I understand that in the summer I should do the pruning, and cutting.: Also most of the time we/they do it before the growth, but ficus always grows so you could prune anytime i think.
-And what about wiring folks?: You can already practice to wire without destroying the plant and new shoots, but i should wait untill you get the hang of keeping the plant alive.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I wouldn't bother air layering it. Just chop the top off and stick it in some soil and it will root. We do need to know where you are in the world, though.

sharkman154

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chasnxx on youtube has one of these. His is quite a bit older but you can work with thos roots with tim and creativity

Reaction score
Yes yes, why do I need to chop them??? Sure they are ugly, But I like them different as they are.

I've updated my profile, so now u guys know I'm from Portugal.

I continue to read a lot of articles about bonsai, and the biggest thing I don't understand is the substrate.

Why such a small pot and such a small organic material in the soil?
To water it daily (depending on species) and to buy a lot of separate nutrients just to add every 15 days or so?
Lots of cash if you have a bunch of bonsais, just in nutrients and vitamins, and the error around water
slouch is alot smaller.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
ramification of roots, almost avoids root rot, free drainage, air to the roots... etc

sharkman154

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can also completely control the nutrient intake of the plant this way. If you can get more aerial roots to grow you can make a great tree in time

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Trees that grow in the ground get all of these things. When we move them to pots, they are completely dependent on us for their ability to thrive. Substrate is key to get fine roots close to the tree while retaining air spaces so that they can "breathe". These finer roots uptake nutrients and water. You don't have to worry about this in nature because, well, they're not confined to a pot. With a pot, you have limited space with which to feed the tree. A smaller, free-draining substrate insures that the entire pot is filled with roots that can help the tree grow without suffocating them which will cause them to rot and the tree to die. Remember, in nature the tree must also anchor themselves to the ground so that it doesn't not fall over during storms or floods, hence the tap root. In bonsai, because most secure the tree with wire into the pot, it doesn't need to do this so we can focus exclusively on fine roots that help the tree grow.

Yes, it can get expensive...which is why many only put their efforts into trees that are "worth it" to them.

Remember that fertilizer is a supplement. The tree can live with water and oxygen getting to the roots and sunlight to the leaves. It feeds itself through photosynthesis.

With the proper substrate, it's almost impossible to over-water.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Yes that helped alot guys, thank you for taking the time to educate me. :)

So, I will order some nutrients, vitamins, soil etc. from an online store, and I was thinking of buying this two bonsai as my fist step into this crazyland, as Sorce says.

1-
Code:
http://www.luso-bonsai.com/produto.php?id=770

2-
Code:
http://www.luso-bonsai.com/produto.php?id=1695

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As this type of ficus has these big roots wouldn't re rooting the top just see it grow big roots again? I would think so so why bother. Also as a tropical you should be able to repot anytime. There should be some time left between re potting and wiring for recovery from the shock and stress of either. Say perhaps 6/9 months for indoor plants. Are the branches long enough to really wire them much? It looks pretty small. As for potting I'd keep it an overlarge growing container until it starts to look like what you want it to eventually.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm sorry but I just have to say it. Leave this where it is. It's a house plant. I wouldn't waste time on it. If you must have a tropical. Which by the way I never understood. People living in the tropics should be growing tropical trees. But if you must,look into a ficus that is better suited to bonsai. One with small leaves and normal roots.
Don't you think the one in the picture is a little obscene?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
different as they are

Once You find the picture of these growing by the Millions in China, for sale to the entire world and possibly one of Jupiter's moons, you will see They are not so different.

Except different from a "real" bonsai.

But I ain't hounding ya!

I can't pull up those links. Maybe screen shot em for display?

Sorce

Top Bottom