Attachments

• 20210228_184758.jpg
    20210228_184758.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 93

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reckon Boxwood. Flowers seem right. So long as it's not Japanese Holly.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'll go for Buxus too. There are a number of different species but all treated in a similar manner for bonsai..

sfeagan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Download the "picture this" app for your phone. It should tell you what it is.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with Leo. Plant ID apps are notorious for innaccurate results. There are just far too many variables and so many plants share common characteristics.
Leaves are the right shape for Buxus harlandii but I can't see the bark clearly enough to be confident with that specific ID. Still really confident with Buxus though.

kosure

Seed
Reaction score
I have a boxwood, and just got a Japanese holly, and I'd actually guess it's the holly. The leaves are much more narrow and vertically inclined. Unfortunately I pruned back the only buds on my holly before they flowered so I can't compare on that score. The branches of my ilex crenata are much more leggy and flexible than on my boxwood.

I'm also pretty inexperienced so far, so I could be wrong. But I'd guess Japanese holly.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

<<<<< It will show here.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The phone apps are often wildly wrong. I do not put any faith in them.

The photo pretty clearly is boxwood.

I think the "Picture this" app is pretty good, as long as you apply some common sense with it. At least it gives you someplace to start investigating when you've got no clue. I don't use it much for trees, but do for other flowering plants that my wife wants ID on. If the plant is not common in the landscape trade though, it will make a guess that can be wildly off.

Top Bottom