Bonsai in Japan

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Those koi pots are amazing! I am not sure how they would work as true bonsai pots, because the artistry of the painting on the pots is so strong and eye-catching, no one would ever look at the tree :)

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I love the traditional Japanese style bonsai.

Jow

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, i really like the coi pots too. I am thinking that a chojubai quince might work in them as the stunning red flowers may be able to hold their own against the artwork.
Hopefully early next week i will have some more updates.

Joe.

yamins

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm quite surprised at the prices ... they seem quite low to me. Most of the material in the sales area was priced at < $200, sometimes for things that would I think be priced much higher here for comparable quality. Is that typical?

yamins

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The above comment was with regard to the Gafu-Ten show, one of the recent galleries updated on the "Bonsai in Japan" blog discussed above. .... Sorry for the lack of context.

Jow

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi yamins,

It depends on what stock you were looking at.

A lot of the raw material is reletively cheap but then advanced trees are quite expensive. It all depends on the quality of what ever it is you are buying.

Stock that may fetch high prices in Australia (where im from) would be average stock in Japan and would be therefore priced quite cheaply. Whereas the high end trees in Japan would probably not have a market in Australia as people are not used to paying tens of thousands for a tree and therefore it would not fetch the prices they do in Japan.

I guess it all comes down to the market and availability.

Hope that helps.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Really nice blog, and outstanding work, particularly on the shimpaku.

yamins

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi yamins,
A lot of the raw material is reletively cheap but then advanced trees are quite expensive. It all depends on the quality of what ever it is you are buying.

Stock that may fetch high prices in Australia (where im from) would be average stock in Japan and would be therefore priced quite cheaply.

Yeah ... that's exactly what I was reacting to. The finished trees don't interest me that much, but I would be thrilled to get some of the raw stock in your pictures for the prices posted there ...

Top Bottom