Bonsai in Las Vegas

Reaction score
what kinds of bonsai trees do well in Las Vegas? Indoors or out?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!!!

Wait for Clyde (Milehigh 7)...he is in your neck of the woods and be most helpful. :)

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to B-Nut!!!

Wait for Clyde (Milehigh 7)...he is in your neck of the woods and be most helpful. :)

or just perusing the threads he's started (here) could be a start while you're waiting for his direct input :)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
First welcome to the Nut House. Second you are crazy to try bonsai here in Vegas, I will be more than happy to share what little I know. ;-)

As to your question, the official answer is, it depends on the length you are willing to go to get 'em through Summer.

Rule #1 No afternoon sun (anytime after 11AM really)

As to plants (real quick list I have to get to bed early tonight but will gladly go more in-depth if you would like):

Vitex or chaste tree
Olive
pomegranate
various evergreen oaks
junipers
ficus
natal plum
bougainvillea do okay but will need some winter shelter.
Trident maple seems okay
Elms
Some prunus species
Texas ebony (winter shelter)
Acacia
Lantana (winter shelter)
I would say boxwood but they hate me

I should have more time tomorrow.

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Do you live here now? What part of town?

Crepe Myrtles also do very well here.
Crab apples grow great but likely won't bloom as it does not get cold for long enough.

Very fast draining soil
Very frequent watering in summer
shelter from our brutal wind
Shade cloth is your friend (I get mine from Home Depot)

One day of 115F and 3% humidity with 30mph wind and everything you own will die if you forget to water.

I lost 50+ trees two summers ago due to a big temp spike in the fall after it had cooled way down. That included all my quince that had done well up to that point.

Last edited:

shei

Seed
Reaction score
Do you live here now? What part of town?

Crepe Myrtles also do very well here.
Crab apples grow great but likely won't bloom as it does not get cold for long enough.

Very fast draining soil
Very frequent watering in summer
shelter from our brutal wind
water delivery las vegas
Shade cloth is your friend (I get mine from Home Depot)

One day of 115F and 3% humidity with 30mph wind and everything you own will die if you forget to water.

I lost 50+ trees two summers ago due to a big temp spike in the fall after it had cooled way down. That included all my quince that had done well up to that point.

great info! that's crazy how you lost 50+ trees in one summer. Las Vegas isn't the greatest place to grow bonsai

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
great info! that's crazy how you lost 50+ trees in one summer. Las Vegas isn't the greatest place to grow bonsai

Nope, had a conversation with Chris Kirk from Telperion Farms evidently he used to live here and evidently things are much easier for bonsai in Oregon.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Clyde that has to be the biggest understatement I have seen you write, funny too.

Ya I would dare to say it's easier in Oregon.:cool:

rookiepom

Seed
Reaction score
Beginner question here, but what are your thoughts on keeping a bonsai in Las Vegas if you keep it indoors during the summer but outdoors in the falll and winter? Thank you.

Top Bottom