Deleted member 38190

Yeah, that is the exact one that I bought

El Duderino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And yet I'm about to do it myself, for the "cheap as chips" contest... 🤣

So here's hoping that @Chinese Elm and I will be the best thing that ever happened to these little guys!
I already did. FWIW I will say that the tree I bought came directly from Brussel's, which is not always the best. I find them to be hit or miss. But this particular tree wasn't bad. I bought a dawn redwood that was not nearly as nice. Amazon is really just a selling platform for the nursery in this case.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It sounds like this is the one you bought. If so then I doubt Brussels sent it in standard potting soil as they are a reputable production facility. It should be ok, just don’t let it dry out, gove it plenty of light, or put it outside, they say it is an outdoor plant.

On Brussels own website they sell an 8 year old Chinese elm for 67.00. It looks like an older Chinese elm. https://brusselsbonsai.com/chinese-elm-bonsai-tree-ct9006ce/

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chinese elm is primarily an outdoor species. Being so tough it can survive indoor longer than others. Unless proper artificial light is provided, it too will die.
That's news to me, because I always find it listed under "Indoor Bonsai" and care sheets mention how well it grows indoors. Then again, it's the Internet, so everything I read here must be true! 😆

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
List price when I view it is $25.87.
My understanding- I've never tried Chinese elm myself before- is they CAN be kept indoors all year assuming they can get enough light, and don't require a dormancy period, though, like all trees, they tend to do better outside, and like most deciduous are healthier with an occasional dormancy period.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
From the pic on the Amazon listing, it looks like it's in an organic heavy bonsai mix. This makes sense to me when they know it's going to be shipped, spending days without watering.

@Chinese Elm it seems you might have inadvertantly picked a great starter tree for Arizona, assuming you can manage the heat issues we were talking about earlier. In that regard, for now I recomend the good old bonsai two-step while you learn more about your tree and work on a more permanent solution.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's news to me, because I always find it listed under "Indoor Bonsai" and care sheets mention how well it grows indoors. Then again, it's the Internet, so everything I read here must be true! 😆
Forgive me if I've said this earlier in this thread -- don't think I have -- Brooklyn Botanic Garden's Growing Bonsai Indoors (2013) says that the rough-barked cultivars need to be left outdoors, but the smooth-barked can be grown in or out. (What I've seen offered online, incl. Amazon/Brussels, has been rough/outdoor CE.) They still like summers out, and 60-65 degrees in the winter for a good rest, according to BBG.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'm looking at Brussels own website...not Amazon.

They sell many heights of Chinese elm and their 8 inch Chinese elm is 67.00 Here's the link
List price when I view it is $25.87.
My understanding- I've never tried Chinese elm myself before- is they CAN be kept indoors all year assuming they can get enough light, and don't require a dormancy period, though, like all trees, they tend to do better outside, and like most deciduous are healthier with an occasional dormancy period.
Thanks, that's my understanding too. I've not tried it either...yet, but I'll let you know. Yes, the internet claims it can be grown indoors and that it's a tropical tree.

I agree that it would be much happier outdoors. Most trees are!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Ok. How much should I water it if it's in regular potting soil?
I pushed like instead of reply but I just bought my first Chinese elm pre-bonsai which is a plant that's still in a nursery pot and potting soil to grow it as quickly as possible. Mine is probably 2 or 3 threes old but I put it in a larger pot of potting soil today to fatten the trunk. Water it when it's dry. You don't want to over water it or the roots will rot. I get the feeling you don't garden much but there's no harm in that. If you plant it in a larger pot of garden soil the root will fatten and in a year or two you can chop it and plant it properly in a bonsai substrate and go from there. It will give you time to learn.

Your other choice would be to buy a bonsai soil...Something like an akadama, pumice and lava mix or ask people far more experienced than me! I'm a beginner too. I've spent dozens of hours reading and watching youtube videos and I'd recommend learning as much as possible before investing a lot of money. I don't want to kill a tree and I was determined to learn before buying anything.

I bought soil because I do have a small jade bonsai that's lived for ten years indoors. If you want to grow one indoors that's a good one to start with. Be very careful not to overwater a jade. Mine does not need to be watered daily.

Ficus also does well indoors but I don't recall if you were looking for an indoor plant?

Have fun but learn a lot before you buy too much or you'll kill your plants which I think would be very discouraging.

Good luck

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok. How much should I water it if it's in regular potting soil?

Water it when it needs it.
There is no set formula, timing, or amount of water. This kind of approach usually results in dead trees.

Besides the soil, it depends on the tree, the size of the pot, where the tree is placed,, the temperature, the humidity, the time of year.

Water it when the soil is almost dry to the touch. Give it enough water to wet the entire soil mass.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Incorrect. Have you ever killed one by keeping it inside?
I am by no mean the authority in anything bonsai related. All I know is that, in the past few years, I have grown and propagated a few dozen. They thrive outdoor. As soon as I take one to my office, it slowly deteriorated. I have to rotate them if I want to keep one in my office even though my office is very bright with many T8 fluorescent lights. I am sure there are people who can keep them alive. I just can’t with standard office lights 14 hrs a day.

D

Deleted member 38190

I found out after asking Brussel's bonsai that the soil it ships with is their own premixed bonsai soil.
Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Brussels-Bon...1&keywords=bonsai+soil&qid=1618516807&sr=8-22

Looks like it has 3.5 stars BUT I checked the specific reviews for the soil. Pretty good except for one person saying the soil bag was very small, but nothing negative about the actual drainage.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Your questions about what to plant a bonsai in is well founded.

I'd suggest you first learn about perched water tables. It's an invaluable concept that you truly need to understand. Not everything is easy but once you get your head around understanding it you'll have a much better understanding about why the medium that a bonsai is planted in is so important.

Bonsai Nut is an invaluable resource but I literally spent dozens of hours reading about bonsai and watching youtube videos before spending a dime. I only just bought my first pre-bonsai trees from a reputable bonsai nursery last Saturday.

I'm completely new at this but I've studied. Book learning and learning by doing are two different things though. Learn some of the 'tough' stuff first, like understanding perched water table facts.

You can't grow bonsai without understanding a little bit of biology and chemistry too.

I know you want to start growing bonsai immediately and I get that but I gave you my suggestion. Bonsai is not for the impatient. So get busy studying and you'll have several ah-ha moments and in fact may be able to answer your own questions to some degree. Not all but some.

I

D

Deleted member 38190

I've watched EVERY SINGLE video that I could find about the Chinese elm, searched everything about caring for it, and then I bought my bonsai. I couldn't find anything about the soil it was coming with. I assumed it was regular potting soil but turns out it was bonsai soil :). Thanks for your help!

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Never heard of it. What does it consist of?
Most bonsai soil is a mix of inorganic components like clay, certain rock, and sand, but often has some organic ingredients like mulch or compost the help retain some moisture while still draining well.
What I meant is their particular mix seems to be heavy on those organic components.

If you feel a little more confident now, then good luck!
This is a good point to start researching soil/substrate properties for when you're ready to repot. Loads of videos on YouTube, and even more info here. So come asking any time.

D

Deleted member 38190

Most bonsai soil is a mix of inorganic components like clay, certain rock, and sand, but often has some organic ingredients like mulch or compost the help retain some moisture while still draining well.
What I meant is their particular mix seems to be heavy on those organic components.

If you feel a little more confident now, then good luck!
This is a good point to start researching soil/substrate properties for when you're ready to repot. Loads of videos on YouTube, and even more info here. So come asking any time.
Oh ok. Thank you!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do not be unduly dismayed. Lots of sellers of Elm, Juniper, whatever etc say they are indoor plants. Mostly UNLESS tropicals these are misguided or lying to sell their mallsai trees:rolleyes:.

Top Bottom