Bonsai in Star Trek

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Has anyone caught the new Netflix series 'Maniac'?
Aside from it being a brilliantly odd show it is littered with bonsai. Pretty cool but can't find any details about them in the credits.
Unless they are all fake surely someone would know where they have come from because a lot are used. It was filmed in NY.

I'm only a couple of episodes in still so not really sure what it's all about.

1538309745141.png

1538309790713.png

1538309812220.png
1538309845739.png

1538309878587.png

And there are many more in the show.

Last edited:

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Aside from it being a brilliantly odd show it is littered with bonsai. Pretty cool but can't find any details about them in the credits.
Unless they are all fake surely someone would know where they have come from because a lot are used. It was filmed in NY.

View attachment 211809

View attachment 211810

View attachment 211811
View attachment 211812

View attachment 211813

I’m in the middle of the second last episode and I am still not completely sure what it is about. It’s interesting enough to keep watching though. Maybe it is all the bonsai and mallsai. That tall formal/informal (I thought it was formal, but your pic makes it look informal) on the left in the first pic is a beaut. Most look like they are straight out of Home Depot though. A lot are wired is what I found interesting, it seems unusual to have wired trees on TV.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
We are three episodes in and although I'm fairly sure I'm on it, it is such a warped show I may actually be entirely lost. lol
Got to say I think it is one of the better shows I have seen for a while any way.

I guess given there is a heavy Japanese element so it isn't that much of a stretch and in an article I found one of the producers had stated "We just love little trees" and that sounds fair enough.
I seriously would not be surprised if the nut house sees a few new members whose interest got sparked because of this show, time will tell.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 211809

View attachment 211810

View attachment 211811
View attachment 211812

View attachment 211813

Babes and Bonsai! Hot Dog;)!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Trees in adverts.

"The loose ‘story’ leads to a mysterious Japanese character who collects giant squid and owns a secret research facility dedicated to pruning the perfect Bonsai tree. The idea being that kind of perfectionist would favour precision-brewed Asahi. Having said all that, if people think the ad is cool, Japanese and remember it’s for Asahi, then we’ve probably done our job.”
Read more at http://www.adnews.com.au/news/the-m...uster-for-asahi-super-dry#gd6LIAiFwkUp1lcs.99

Bonsai, Giant squid and beer. Don't need much more than that really.

Top Bottom