Bonsai in Thailand

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi All,

Just about to head over to Thailand on business for a week. Does anybody know of good bonsai related sites in Chonburi area.

Thanks
Ian

Reaction score
You can call the President of Thailand Bonsai Association, Mr. Montri in Bangkok, mobile + 66 818221720, he is my good friend. But be aware that Thailand is facing a serious flood problem....

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Robert,

Thank you, I will try to call tomorrow, I think I may be able to get some time on Saturday morning. Yes the flooding is a big concern.

Greg,

I'll try but I forgot my good camera...its just going to be ipad pics hopefully they turn out ok.

Cheers

Reaction score
agree with Si here... the Thai people are awesome and super friendly, a small jesture of goodwill would go a long way and be greatly appreciated.
Besides bonsai, don't forget to also check out some of the awesome temples !!!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Good luck over there and be safe! Let us know how it goes, I'll be over there next July. Sorry I can not recommend any spots.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I remember seeing a lot of very old and large bonsai around the temples. These trees are not very refined, but with lots of character. There is a species of persimmon, with jet black trunk, that is very popular over there (may be the black color came from being exposed to the polluted air for a hundred years). Anyway, visiting a lot of temples gives you a chance to see bonsai if you don't have access to personal collections.

Reaction score
Ian, Enjoy your trip. Try to see Montri's private collection or you will miss to see among the best ficus bonsai in the world.

Attila, you won't see good bonsai in Thailand without visiting private collection; but if you have a chance to do so, you will be supprised to see how good the Thailand bonsai are..which most of people never thought of.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Attila, you won't see good bonsai in Thailand without visiting private collection; but if you have a chance to do so, you will be supprised to see how good the Thailand bonsai are..which most of people never thought of.

I agree. The trees I've metioned are raw and unrefined, but very old and full of character. Next time I'm in Thailand, I will definitely look for the best private collections.

Top Bottom