bonsai in the future

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in the process of digging up a 10 year old Japanese Maple with about 3 to 4 inch trunk. I want to place it into a large growing tub. What I need to know is can it root prune the 6 larger roots that seem to be holding this tree in the ground. I will save most of the large roots but it won't let me lift it up right know. This maples buds are just now starting to swell so I

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It depends on how many small feeder roots will stay in tact.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
unless it has been grown for bonsai all along, leave it in the ground and enjoy it as a landscape maple

a tree with a 3-4" trunk will have the same issue that every other landscape maple posted on this website has: chronology

fixing the nebari of a tree that old and with that girth is not possible, or not worth it, in most cases.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your wonderful help. I have been growing this tree for Bonsai. The top is too close to my deck so it needs to be moved. I will save all the feeder roots and there are a lot of them. I have a very large tub with Bonsai soil for the tree. It is about 14 inches deep and around 35 inches long and maybe 20 inches wide. It can grow in this tub for years with out any harm. Just worried about the timing so not to get any root bleeding, but I can’t wait until summer to lift my maple. So my question is early Spring the best time to cut large roots🙏
Please send any helpful information!!!!!!

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As long as there are plenty of feeder roots(thin fine roots) you should be fine. Pumice is a great soil option for yamadori! The question you are asking is about timing and this (spring) is optimal for collecting. I have a tree I'm going to collect very soon. Just waiting for bud break. Some people collect when buds swell. Post some pictures if you decide to lift it!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A tree that large is definitely collectible and I would plan on -1) collecting as much of the rootage as you can to ensure survival -2) Plan on a ground layer in a year or two assuming the existing roots are a mess. I've found that larger A. palmatums readily ground layer, even in pots. Fwiw, spring time is the best time to lift a tree like this, just as buds are swelling. Make sure the tree is well anchored in the pot, then leave it alone other then water and ferts (once it has flushed out).

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jonny and Dave,
Thanks for your great answers will contemplate With saving as many roots as I can. When it’s reported I will probably leave it alone for 1 to 2 years with a small amount of branch shortening. This would take place a year after transplanting. Really appreciate all the good advice you guys handed down to me. The trunk on this tree is just too amazing to let it stay where it’s at and will really look good in a two person mica pot. So again I say thank you very much for your help. Will send more information as we progress with this project.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A Japanese maple does not need feeder roots to survive transplant. I have done hundreds and despite the popular belief they are touchy I can cut roots right back to stumps and expect these to survive.
Roots do not bleed. Cutting the roots will immediately stop any weeping from cuts above ground so you can safely dig, cut roots and prune the top drastically in one operation and still expect great response.

robert gardner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
unless it has been grown for bonsai all along, leave it in the ground and enjoy it as a landscape maple

a tree with a 3-4" trunk will have the same issue that every other landscape maple posted on this website has: chronology

fixing the nebari of a tree that old and with that girth is not possible, or not worth it, in most cases.
well I have gotten this maple dug up and potted in it new tub home. it been there ever since my ay 18th. 2020 post and its doing great. may be next spring it can be root pruned a little.
I am going to let ti live in its new home for a few years. growing great new shoots everywhere.
thanks to all who replied and showed a little interest in making a large bonsai'

Top Bottom