Bonsai in the Sertão

Nol

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Nicolas and I live in the Sertão. A close translation is “the outback” or “backlands” as used in Australia. However, I live in northeastern Brazil in the state of Alagoas, just south of the equator. Temperatures are nearly uniform throughout the year and are typically extremely hot in the western part of Alagoas where I reside.

The sertão is distinctive in its low rainfall compared to other areas of Brazil, in that most of the year is very dry. The rainy season from about June to August is still quiet warm but with frequent bouts of quick light rain and occasionally a severe downpour. For the rest of the year rain is rare.

Having lived in New England for the first 62 years of my life, I’m excited to learn as much as I can about the local flora. Cactus of many sorts abound along with lots of scrub bush. There are also many woody herbaceous perennials that last so long they develop wonderfully woody, gnarled trunks and branches; some have beautiful flowers. For just one out of several examples, common milkweed here grows much, much larger and becomes woody and gnarled, like no milkweed I ever saw in Massachusetts.

I’m excited to be part of this group as I start training local indigenous flora as bonsai. I have always wanted to have bonsai cultivation as a hobby, but never could. I have read much about bonsai and watch many videos on bonsai. In addition, Brazil has plenty of material, videos, supplies and “bonsaistas”. With the largest population of Japanese outside of Japan, bonsai culture has spread to all areas and levels of society here.

I’m training about six woody herbaceous plants now, and in a few months will be glad to post a few photos.

Thank you for this forum. BTW, I’m especially interested in the smallest bonsai mame and shohin.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Though it's beginning to sound like NE is Crazier!

Sorce

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome! I had not heard of the Sertão region, thanks for sharing.

Kudo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Welcome! You must consider local species of genus Calliandra, specially Calliandra spinosa and Calliandra depauperata. This last one is specially suitable for mame and shohin as it naturally have very delicate and small leaves.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Clicio , a fellow countryman you could help out. :)

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hello, my name is Nicolas and I live in the Sertão.
Having lived in New England for the first 62 years of my life..
Hello @Nol and welcome to the forum.
Are you an american retiring or a Brazilian returning?
As said Calliandras can be exceptionally beautiful and they are native from the sertão. There are some groups of bonsaists in the Northeast and I guess they will be of more help than myself, as I live in São Paulo. But whatever you need bonsai related, just ask!
@Carol 83 thanks for calling me in!

Nol

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome! You must consider local species of genus Calliandra, specially Calliandra spinosa and Calliandra depauperata. This last one is specially suitable for mame and shohin as it naturally have very delicate and small leaves.
Thank you. I've seen the videos available here in Brazil on Calliandra spinosa and Calliandra depauperata. They make stunningly beautiful bonsai. I'm anxious to try.

Nol

Seed
Reaction score
Hello @Nol and welcome to the forum.
Are you an american retiring or a Brazilian returning?
As said Calliandras can be exceptionally beautiful and they are native from the sertão. There are some groups of bonsaists in the Northeast and I guess they will be of more help than myself, as I live in São Paulo. But whatever you need bonsai related, just ask!
@Carol 83 thanks for calling me in!
Thank you. I'm American from Massachusetts, but I've lived deep in the upper Rio Negro river basin area of the Amazon a few days journey north by freight boat from Manaus. I resided in Barcelos and visited many villages of river people "ribeirinhos" and met wonderful Yanomami and Baré indians. Now I'm retired in the interior of the sertão in Ouro Branco, AL a very small, quiet town.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Thank you. I'm American from Massachusetts, but I've lived deep in the upper Rio Negro river basin area of the Amazon a few days journey north by freight boat from Manaus. I resided in Barcelos and visited many villages of river people "ribeirinhos" and met wonderful Yanomami and Baré indians. Now I'm retired in the interior of the sertão in Ouro Branco, AL a very small, quiet town.

Sounds like a very exciting experience!
The farthest that I went on the Amazon was Manaus and the surrounding jungle...

Reactions: Nol
Top Bottom